Gibson Brands Forums

Excess glue inside guitar need help

nutkunkup

Someone once pointed out to me that luthiery is based on 'the creative destruction of wood'. In a kind of obscure way - not unlike my conviction that all acoustic guitars are inherently female and, further, that they are all alive, it seems to fit here quite well. Then again, maybe I'm referencing empty brain cells๐Ÿ˜›

Well, honestly, I think Gibson would do well to avoid this sloppiness - they slip a few too many through with minor issues. But it's part of what Gibson is, I suppose. Take it in stride and enjoy your guitar.

ย 

ย 

Tend to agree that just a touch more TLC would result in these kinds of things happening less and would make customers much happier, but really wouldn't bother me if the guitar sounded good, but like I stated previously can understand why someone else would be turned off by it. Although it doesn't happen as often with Martins, my HD28 has some imperfections that would drive others insane, but the guitar sounds GLORIOUS, so I overlook the imperfections. Also, my 2017 J45 was covered in a fine dust that was all over the guitar and in the case, most likely from sanding and polishing. All they had to do was wipe the guitar down better before sending it off. Some might look at something like that as a turn off, rationalizing that if they can't do something as simple as cleaning up a guitar before sending it out, how can me trust them to perform more complicated tasks consistently, right?

ย 

This is what I want to imply in this post.

ย 

Actually, the QC things of factory is very important to customer's happiness. As a Gibson is very famous guitar factory and of course very high price guitar come out from this factory too ( This guitar is cost around US$3200) and yes I expect more neat and clean at this high cost. Gibson should fix this problem before assembly parts together because after glued bracing on back they still have time to remove this. How can they don't know that glue is leak when press it ? or it's just sloppiness like GDC said ?

ย 

Imagine that if you buy a car, let's say Ferrari or Lamborghini, when you step in your car for the first time and notice that steering wheel have a mark on it. What you gonna do ? return or accept it ? or ask seller do something with it ?

Someone once pointed out to me that luthiery is based on 'the creative destruction of wood'. In a kind of obscure way - not unlike my conviction that all acoustic guitars are inherently female and, further, that they are all alive, it seems to fit here quite well. Then again, maybe I'm referencing empty brain cells๐Ÿ˜›

ย 

Any of them empty brain cells for sale! I'll take a few so I can lose my mind. Or should I wait until Friday nxt week for a discount. I'm first in line !

A Lamborghini costs 100x more than a Gibson acoustic, so that comparison is hard to accept. And, as you said, "if the first time you stepped inside..." If paying $300k for an auto, I should think you would want to inspect it Before you bought it. As far as the Gibson, knowing you have high expectations and there was no possibility of a return for a refund, you should have inspected it closely Before you bought it. You also could have come here for input befor buying and members like GDC and Olie would have warned you of the inconsistencies in Gibsons. But that is water over the dam. Since you're asking people here for advice, it would probably make sense to find a luthier that could correct the problems you've found..

ย 

A Lamborghini costs 100x more than a Gibson acoustic, so that comparison is hard to accept. And, as you said, "if the first time you stepped inside..." If paying $300k for an auto, I should think you would want to inspect it Before you bought it. As far as the Gibson, knowing you have high expectations and there was no possibility of a return for a refund, you should have inspected it closely Before you bought it. You also could have come here for input befor buying and members like GDC and Olie would have warned you of the inconsistencies in Gibsons. But that is water over the dam. Since you're asking people here for advice, it would probably make sense to find a luthier that could correct the problems you've found..

ย 

Hey I just try to compare like no brand with Gibson just like toyota and Lamborghini.

You own a very nice guitar, and if I may presume to speak for many here at the forum, we are happy for you and are glad you and your new Gibson are now among the rest of us. I'm sorry if you're not 100% happy with your purchase, but the best we can offer here is a sense of belonging, reassurance if you need it, access to whatever knowledge/information/

experience that we collectively hold, and whatever advice individual members are able to provide. You seem to be saying that, when you buy something, you expect it to conform to your personal standard of perfection. There's nothing wrong with that, but it goes to say that you therefore won't make a purchase that doesn't meet your standards. I have no idea what to tell you beyond what has already been said. All I can think to ask (and it's a question that has already been posed here) is why did you buy it in the first place knowing what your standards are and realizing there was no possibility of return?

......when I returned to home I looked into soundhole and found excess glue look like droplet. This is very much noticeable.

ย 

Wow dude. You didn't think to look in the sound hole before you laid down your money? I say that's your bad, not Gibsons'. You have high standards and you let this get by your QC. That's on you and after-the-fact it's too late to whine about your error. Get over it and play the damn guitar! <_<

Wow dude. You didn't think to look in the sound hole before you laid down your money? I say that's your bad, not Gibsons'. You have high standards and you let this get by your QC. That's on you and after-the-fact it's too late to whine about your error. Get over it and play the damn guitar! <_<

Can it be stated more clearly than that? Maybe we should get a contest going to see who can be the most blunt and brutal. Kudos, Buc๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I hope I don't have to try topping that one๐Ÿ˜„

Can it be stated more clearly than that? Maybe we should get a contest going to see who can be the most blunt and brutal. Kudos, Buc๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I hope I don't have to try topping that one๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

True, it was a bit of a blunt reply, but I have no place talking, since I can be a bit blunt as well. But in Buc's defense, the OP's title was a bit dramatic with the "need help" part. Reminds me of posts when people throw nothing like, "urgent, need help ASAP!" in a title, and you find its a thread where they are asking which guitar they should buy. Basically they are saying something along the lines of, I can't decide which guitar I should buy, so I need al of you total strangers who don't know me at all to hold my hand and make my decision for me! People get a little over-dramatic sometimes.

True, it was a bit of a blunt reply, but I have no place talking, since I can be a bit blunt as well. But in Buc's defense, the OP's title was a bit dramatic with the "need help" part. Reminds me of posts when people throw nothing like, "urgent, need help ASAP!" in a title, and you find its a thread where they are asking which guitar they should buy. Basically they are saying something along the lines of, I can't decide which guitar I should buy, so I need al of you total strangers who don't know me at all to hold my hand and make my decision for me! People get a little over-dramatic sometimes.

True. Please don't misunderstand: I didn't mean to come off sounding negative about Buc's post - quite the opposite. Short of suggesting things that'd likely be deleted by the authorities, I don't believe it could be said any better.

True. Please don't misunderstand: I didn't mean to come off sounding negative about Buc's post - quite the opposite. Short of suggesting things that'd likely be deleted by the authorities, I don't believe it could be said any better.

ย 

Oh, trust me I personally didn't think you were out of line. I actually appreciate the blunt and to the point replies. Others tend to get offended much more easily. Being blunt doesn't mean you're being rude.

Indeed my J45 ( 2015 ) has some of the same imperfections ie buildup of nitro around the fingerboard joint , a dull forearm patch and general small imperfections in the finish . Would I sell it , no is it the best sounding guitar I own , yes . Play it and love it it's a Gibson at the end of the day

ย 

Er... Why you post twice ? I think you already mentioned that in your first post.

ย 

By the way, are you always being rude ?

I feel bad that you are stuck with a guitar that is not perfect to your eye.

Any warranty is void already since you applied the cleaner which discoulored the finish.

ย 

What can you tell us about the sound???

ย 

Do you love it?

ย 

ย 

If you want respectful advice here it goes:

ย 

If you love the sound of the guitar over time you will play it alot and eventually your sweat will start to make the bindings turn yellow.

As the years progress you will find the guitar will level out any imperfections because you will start to scratch and dent the guitar just because you love the sound.

ย 

If you love the sound don't ever let that guitar go.

She will give you many hours of joy and you will make great music.

ย 

Again Koa L 00's are as rare as a Leprechaun with a pot of gold

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

JC

If you perceive my comments as rude, the answer is yes. And, much like the imperfections in your new guitar, you'll have to get used to it.

This baffles me

ย 

i have always respected you Buc ...But I see no reason to be rude to a fellow guitar player seeking help or support

ย 

ย 

Lets try and help the man with some encouragement

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

JC

I have unbounded respect for those who have added their thoughts to this thread. That holds true for other members and their contributions as well. As SBP observed, being blunt doesn't mean being rude. It can, of course, but that's far from the case in the present circumstances. What I read in this thread is a group of concerned individuals trying to lend support and becoming frustrated by the OP's inability or unwillingness to consider what is being or has been said. Put a different way, I believe most of us would have walked away from this pity party a ways back if our motivation was to be rude. As it stands, we're all trying our best to lend support and find a way to make clear a point that the OP manages to miss no matter how it's presented.

Not being rude here.. I bought a 41 D28 Authentic.. hyde glue could not be seen at the Joints... .. It played and sounded outstanding..

ย 

Now that being said.. owned for about 4 months in a properly tempitured ,Humidfied room in its case.. took out of the case to see all the sides were seperating from the back and top.. I think I would rather have some comfort in knowing the Glue is shown that holds the Guitar together than Not shown at all to know they might not of had enough period..

ย 

I own quite a few 20, 30s 40s, 50s Gibsons and martins.. The glue sure hasnt been a issue on those.. and there values on those has not fallin because of excess material....

ย 

Enjoy your Koa..

ย 

when you get that first chip.. that will not hurt its sound or playability..

Not being rude here.. I bought a 41 D28 Authentic.. hyde glue could not be seen at the Joints... .. It played and sounded outstanding..

ย 

Now that being said.. owned for about 4 months in a properly tempitured ,Humidfied room in its case.. took out of the case to see all the sides were seperating from the back and top.. I think I would rather have some comfort in knowing the Glue is shown that holds the Guitar together than Not shown at all to know they might not of had enough period..

ย 

ย 

Glue clean-up is a moving target. Aliphatic resin cleans up with water, but if water seeps into the joint, the joint can be "starved" of glue. Same goes with hide glue, which is even more tricky because it must be at exactly the right state of liquidity and temperature to work properly. As you say, I'd rather have a little glue squeezed out and know the guitar was "glued enough" than have a flawlessly clean interior.