Gibson Brands Forums

Excess glue inside guitar need help

nutkunkup

I have unbounded respect for those who have added their thoughts to this thread. That holds true for other members and their contributions as well. As SBP observed, being blunt doesn't mean being rude. It can, of course, but that's far from the case in the present circumstances. What I read in this thread is a group of concerned individuals trying to lend support and becoming frustrated by the OP's inability or unwillingness to consider what is being or has been said. Put a different way, I believe most of us would have walked away from this pity party a ways back if our motivation was to be rude. As it stands, we're all trying our best to lend support and find a way to make clear a point that the OP manages to miss no matter how it's presented.

Asking a question that one doesn't want to hear the answer to. The bane of the internet.

rct

Boy, are you lucky. I have two '90's Gibson flat tops, I bought brand new, a '96 J 45 and a '97 Custom AJ with early Jumbo body dimensions with not a drop of glue out of place. They sound great, but not as great as my '42 SJ, my '44 J 45 and my '49 SJ with glue seemingly seeping out of every internal joint that is visible thru the sound hole. The older you get, hopefully, the more you'll realize what I'm trying to say. Have fun with the scraper or razor blade. Neither will improve the guitar,unless if'n all you are content with is the visual aspect of it.

things seem to get personal here pretty often ,if you dont have somethin nice to say....AND i dont think quotes are supposed to be ammo just sayin j

Other than a mass exodus from this thread, I can offer only one final positively-intended thought on this matter: since return and warranty are not viable alternatives, since accepting the guitar as it is does not appear to be a viable alternative, since selling it to someone else and moving on - losses counted and lesson learned - a suggestion I made in the form of a riduculous joke offer earlier in this thread - hasn't met with any notice from the OP, how about a complete refin and glue dribble eradication performed by a luthier of the OP's own choosing?

Failing that, I have a few TRULY negative ideas I would prefer not to contribute and likely won't.

I understand how you feel. I wouldn't like to see that either. I have just bought 4 new guitars this fall. One is a Martin D-42, not one issue with it whatsoever. The others are Gibsons that had some problems that either I fixed or I returned for another guitar. None of them had any glue squeeze out at all. They mostly had finish problems. I love keeping my guitars, all 16 or 17 of them in top notch condition. I have a small guitar repair shop and can conveniently do most of my own repairs. I would try to find a guitar tech and see if he can help you. I would be glad to take on your work but obviously we are on separate continents. I find it refreshing to hear about someone's passion for their guitars. Too often I am brought some very beat up guitars that have been abused and I am supposed to work some magic for the least amount of money. I think guitars are both a work of art and a practical tool, so I treat them that way. BTW, what is the gray squarish patch I see in the lower left part of the front of the guitar?

BTW, what is the gray squarish patch I see in the lower left part of the front of the guitar?

I would say that's a reflection. Given the OP's concern over a couple of drops of squeezed-out glue, it's hard to imagine it would be anything significant.

I'll never again look at a spot of glue without remembering this thread....Just kidding........I sincerely don't know if any of my Gibsons have a spot or smear of glue somewhere inside of them. Maybe someday I'll do an inspection. Nothing that I've noticed on the outside either (doesn't mean something isn't there, but I just don't notice it). I like the hell out of my guitars and I play them a lot. There's usually smudges and fingerprints, maybe a drop or two of coffee, and cinnamon roll icing somewhere on them, so chances are a speck of glue would be mistaken for something else.

• Upvote 1

Those glue drops aren't an afterthought. They are there for a reason. Just like a luthier tap-tests tops when they are picking out wood for guitars, they later add the glue drops after the guitar has been assembled to fine-tune the guitar. It brings out and enhances those desirable resonant frequencies, or tames undesirable ones. So be aware, if you remove those glue drops (I call them tone blobs) your guitar will probably end up sounding worse.

• Upvote 1

Those glue drops aren't an afterthought. They are there for a reason. Just like a luthier tap-tests tops when they are picking out wood for guitars, they later add the glue drops after the guitar has been assembled to fine-tune the guitar. It brings out and enhances those desirable resonant frequencies, or tames undesirable ones. So be aware, if you remove those glue drops (I call them tone blobs) your guitar will probably end up sounding worse.

I see the wisdom. It's not unlike removing a 'vintage tone ball' from the instrument. Sure to affect a change and not always for the better. I believe in treating my tone balls well!

• 3 months later...

I have the same Gibson L-00 Koa as the OP. It looks fantastic from a distance but when you get up close and particularly look inside, the attention to detail finish is not a patch on my Martin which is impeccably finished. There is glue visible at the neck to body heel joint and at the fretboard above the soundboard. The scalloped bracing is not sanded well and is roughly finished. The kerfed lining is not finished well at all. Basically the internal work looks a bit amateurish. This is a 3000 dollar guitar for **** sake. My Martin cost about the same and internally is perfect. Clean, clean clean. Nothing looks even slightly rough edged and everything fits perfectly. Every joint is beautifully finished. But here's what matters. The Martin sounds pretty good but is a bit boring. Does the job really well but no more. The Gibson sounds spectacular - I've never played another acoustic like it and I've tried loads in the past. It's a totally amazing guitar and an absolute keeper. 99% of the time I'm not aware of the botched internal work and the 1% I think about it is wiped out by the amazing sounds that come from this thing. But Mr Gibson - you need to sort your people out - it doesn't cost a great deal more to do things as well as they should be done and one day this carelessness is going to come back and bite you.