Gibson Brands Forums

FAKE Gibson 355/Lucille?! From Guitar Center?!!?

Edward Kim

WELL! I need the brightest most investigative minds for this.

Here is the story:

Two nights ago I saw a Gibson Lucille in Cherry on the Guitar Center's USED GEAR site. I used to work for Guitar Center and have dealt with this store before I called them up.

Priced at: $1899.99

Cost for them: $1200

Guess what though? THIS ONE HAD F-HOLES!!! It drove me NUTS that no employees there or techs realized... LUCILLES DONT HAVE F-HOLES DAMMNIT!

So this is what I've concluded: it is either a REALLY well done fake OR...

It's a Lucille with F-Holes cut into it by a luthier. I've seen this done before on a Lucille.

More twists in this story:

1) It was returned twice: it originated from Florida's Guitar Center. Customer bought it via Layaway.

2) It was returned then by him, bought online by someone in Minneapolis

3) That guy returned it to the store I bought it from.

4) I found one thread on a different forum from last year which talks about a guy who is looking at a Cherry 90s Lucille with F-Holes cut into it by a Spanish luthier

5) Serial Number on it is: 91456405 -- it checks out

6) Take a CLOSE look at the F-Hole and the volume knob that is just under the pickguard. Doesn't it look misaligned?

So here's what I did...

I bought it on the GC GC -- Guitar Center Gear Card.

Why?

1) If it's a fake I'll get my money back and since its the holidays, there's basically a 90 day return day policy now starting now.

2) If it's NOT a fake and it just have F-Holes cut into it... I actually like it. It's a poor mans 355 essentially.

It should arrived next Tuesday. But folks, lets get some input here.

post-82454-071591200 1479542174_thumb.jpg

Are the knobs on the tuning pegs plastic as well?

Otherwise, it looks like my Lucille but with F holes cut into it.

Talk about a dubious modification.

It's important to note I guess the tuners and the bridge was replaced but the originals are in the case?

I really, truly believe this is a modified Lucille. There is just TOO much "good" work present to be a fake.

HEY FOLKS!

So...

Got the guitar! Had them haggle it down to $1500.

1) It is bonafide REAL. It is a 1996 Lucille.

2) TP tailpiece is in the case.

3) F-Holes are cut by a luthier aftermarket

I compared the F-holes to an 335 reissue at the shop. REAL damn close. The pictures I uploaded makes the placement and size of F-Holes weird

I bought it guitar knowing well that I am buying a Lucille with F-Holes cut into it. Looks DAMN good in person. Sounds amazing too.

All in all, I am thrilled. A poor man's custom shop 355! Will be adding a B7 on it too eventually. I'll add pictures I took myself in the coming day or two

• 2 weeks later...

Archived