Gibson Brands Forums

59 reissue. Custom shop.

LarryUK

I tried one at someone's house yesterday and it was amazing. He said he'd looked for the right one and it was. I looked it over like you can't really do in a shop and it was like picking an old guitar up that had been cared for. It was lightly aged, which I don't care for, but well done anyhow. I'm posting this as I have to give credit where credit is due. I want one now.

Glad to hear that mate, cos I played (acoustically only) a 57 Reissue recently, also lightly aged though it was almost 20 years old itself, and I didn't like anything about it - just horrible feeling and playing (noting that I'm not an LP player so some of that will just be me). I'd assumed the R's would be uniformly awesome so was disappointed, but I might just have run into one that didn't agree with me. If you go for one it seems like having that same chance to really get close up to it prior as you did is a the way to do it.

I've been pretty impressed with the Gibson's I've played that were made in the Custom Shop.

Right now, I have a CR9 and a CR4. These are chambered reissue Les Pauls. I think the only thing I did to the CR9 after I got it was to adjust the pickup height to my preference. Love the pickups they used in the CR run.

I just gotta TH7 BB, although I can't compare it to any other R's unfortunately.. it's by far the best guitar I have ever played and own. I also own 2 other les Paul customs, my old man owns a 82 custom, and my brother has a. Amaericam strat and tele deluxe,, comparing all of them I would rather have the 1 TH 7 BB over all of them..

I just gotta TH7 BB, although I can't compare it to any other R's unfortunately.. it's by far the best guitar I have ever played and own. I also own 2 other les Paul customs, my old man owns a 82 custom, and my brother has a. Amaericam strat and tele deluxe,, comparing all of them I would rather have the 1 TH 7 BB over all of them..

WoW, that is one sick guitar. What's the feel and tone of that BB Les Paul? Does it have a fat neck? I owned a LP Custom briefly, but couldn't get along with that skinny neck.

WoW, that is one sick guitar. What's the feel and tone of that BB Les Paul? Does it have a fat neck? I owned a LP Custom briefly, but couldn't get along with that skinny neck.

I know that question is for CS, but thought I share my views on mine. My '57 reissue Black Beauty has a fat neck. I bought it from a shop called Dawson's in 2010 and I remember the store manager joking about how fat its neck was (all the usual baseball bat comments). I didn't really get what he was going on about as I prefer fat necks to slim taper ones. It's a nice weight though moderately heavy and feels well balanced. Sounds fantastic too - I love the unusual out of phase tone in the middle position, as well as the usual neck and bridge tones. The neck p/u sounds incredibly warm and is great for jazz, which is what I play mainly these days. I posted this many times, but here's mine...(ps, it's obviously not a true historic like CS's as it was built in 2009)

Gibson1957LesPaulCustom_zpsd482cb39.jpg

No problem, Cody78! Yours looks great, and must play like butter. Have you modded it at all? I always feel the middle should be on a push-pull switch, so you could get the most out it. But I only recently got one, and SG Les Paul, so what do I know. Lol!

Ah no, I couldn't bring myself to mod it as it cost so much and I wanted to keep it all original. I have a Kirk Douglas SG Custom with a togpot to blend in the middle p/up, so I can experiment with various sounds on that one! Of the two I prefer the simplified layout of the LP. Talking of 3 pickup guitars in my collection, I think the Switchmaster I have (in my avatar picture) is the best in terms of accessing tones with the 4 way switch and tone/ vol for each pickup. Despite being an archtop and often seen only as a jazz guitar, it can achieve a wide array of tones with some almost strat like!

Ah no, I couldn't bring myself to mod it as it cost so much and I wanted to keep it all original. I have a Kirk Douglas SG Custom with a togpot to blend in the middle p/up, so I can experiment with various sounds on that one! Of the two I prefer the simplified layout of the LP. Talking of 3 pickup guitars in my collection, I think the Switchmaster I have (in my avatar picture) is the best in terms of accessing tones with the 4 way switch and tone/ vol for each pickup. Despite being an archtop and often seen only as a jazz guitar, it can achieve a wide array of tones with some almost strat like!

Awesome! I'm still not sure what to get: a '57 Goldtop or Black Beauty. What are the differences? Except for the looks, of course. Let's take the True Historic versions for reference.

Awesome! I'm still not sure what to get: a '57 Goldtop or Black Beauty. What are the differences? Except for the looks, of course. Let's take the True Historic versions for reference.

Well, the main differences are the Custom has a mahogany top instead of maple and an ebony board instead of rosewood. I'm not overly familiar with the True Historics, but I think they are meant to be molecularly closer to the originals than the regular reissues. I don't much like the weird lime/ yellowish binding found on the true historic Customs. I don't recall ever seeing that on any pictures of 50's, 60's or 70's Customs.

I think the regular '57 Goldtop would be a wise choice, as the true historics just seem way too expensive compared to when I bought my '57 Custom. That's just my opinion though. If you can, try some out and see what's the best for you.

Archived