Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone playing a 25.5" scale length?

Macronaut

I was wondering what and how much difference it would make on a LP with a 25.5" scale length? My Tele has it but, of course it's not a LP. Would it be that much different?

Looking for opinions.

Pros/Cons?

Likes/dislikes?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Small difference/Big difference?

Thanks ahead, Bill

Dunno about the LP, but I have a couple of jazz boxes, several with the 24 3/4 and one with 25 1/2. In fact, one '50s archtop has a 24-inch scale.

To me the sound has more to do with how they're played, settings and amplification than anything, including often the general pup types, which leaves the determining factor how the guitar feels.

These have basically the same size bodies, so the difference is how they feel and how I approach and hold the instrument.

No question, I prefer the shorter scale on that criterion.

On the other hand, others may well disagree. On the LP itself, I doesn't feel nearly as comfortable and instinctive for playing to me as a jazz box or acoustic roughly the size of an ES175. I don't feel comfortable with any Fender electrics, but the SG tends to "work" for me.

Don't know if this offers any insight, bur... it's my observation and opinion.

m

From what I know a longer scale length means more tension to get them in tune.. Which means that a shorter scale length (with the same string gauge) should feel a bit easier to play when you do bends and stuff. Also longer scale length is probably better if you play down tuned.

I think that, because Fenders and Gibsons are made totally differently its hard to do any sort of comparison between them. Fenders don't have that crazy neck angle or string angle from the nut... Its all swings and roundabouts really.

Im not a Fender man mainly because I don't get on with the larger fretboard radius that they usually have.. But whenever I have played one I never really thought, ohh this is hard to do bends on or anything like that.. All these things do make a difference but those differences are usually quite small. I don't think you can judge a guitar on its scale length, all that matters is, does it feel good to you..

Dunno about the LP, but I have a couple of jazz boxes, several with the 24 3/4 and one with 25 1/2. In fact, one '50s archtop has a 24-inch scale.

To me the sound has more to do with how they're played, settings and amplification than anything, including often the general pup types, which leaves the determining factor how the guitar feels.

These have basically the same size bodies, so the difference is how they feel and how I approach and hold the instrument.

No question, I prefer the shorter scale on that criterion.

On the other hand, others may well disagree. On the LP itself, I doesn't feel nearly as comfortable and instinctive for playing to me as a jazz box or acoustic roughly the size of an ES175. I don't feel comfortable with any Fender electrics, but the SG tends to "work" for me.

Don't know if this offers any insight, bur... it's my observation and opinion.

m

Thanks! I appreciate your insight.

From what I know a longer scale length means more tension to get them in tune.. Which means that a shorter scale length (with the same string gauge) should feel a bit easier to play when you do bends and stuff. Also longer scale length is probably better if you play down tuned.

I think that, because Fenders and Gibsons are made totally differently its hard to do any sort of comparison between them. Fenders don't have that crazy neck angle or string angle from the nut... Its all swings and roundabouts really.

Im not a Fender man mainly because I don't get on with the larger fretboard radius that they usually have.. But whenever I have played one I never really thought, ohh this is hard to do bends on or anything like that.. All these things do make a difference but those differences are usually quite small. I don't think you can judge a guitar on its scale length, all that matters is, does it feel good to you..

I suppose it doesn't matter to any huge extent either way.

I prefer Gibson over Fender, though added the Tele w/maple fret board to my collection for it's unique tone. I ended up with the modern player version because I could not get used to the thick neck profile of the American or Mexican standards. The modern player neck is really nice, very thin and the only reason I even have a fender.

The reason I asked about the 25.5" scale was that I found what seems to be a smokin' deal on a Custom Shop LP here http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-CSLPSLSS-ITNH1 I can find no info on these and they appear to be a very limited run from 2014.

I think I talked myself out of it because I just could not get over the "Split Parallelogram" and not my first choice of color (though it's nice) even though I would expect the craftsmanship to "perhaps" be better that the 2017 Std Hp I'm waiting on.

Bill

Best of luck on whatever...

Yeah, the Tele is an example of the pups making a difference; and if you're a player like Roy Buchanan, it's not hard to use the volume control with a pinkie to vary attack and decay. And he could make the thing work like a jazz box almost on jazz concepts. Joe Pass did some jazz work on a Fender Jaguar.

I think overall one's choice of "mostly using when playing out" has to do with one's own head as long as the instrument is reliable if it's electric/AE. To me it's largely feel, and frankly we're all so different for so many reasons that I figure that what I'm comfortable and even happiest with could be a major error for someone else.

So again, best of luck.

m

Best of luck on whatever...

Yeah, the Tele is an example of the pups making a difference; and if you're a player like Roy Buchanan, it's not hard to use the volume control with a pinkie to vary attack and decay. And he could make the thing work like a jazz box almost on jazz concepts. Joe Pass did some jazz work on a Fender Jaguar.

I think overall one's choice of "mostly using when playing out" has to do with one's own head as long as the instrument is reliable if it's electric/AE. To me it's largely feel, and frankly we're all so different for so many reasons that I figure that what I'm comfortable and even happiest with could be a major error for someone else.

So again, best of luck.

m

So far, from the research I have done since my original post, it would seem the longer scale length as "almost" as much to do with "twangy" sound of the Telecaster, second only to the type of pups. The 25.5" scale on the LP appears to have a similar effect...a somewhat specialized want/need. Enough so that I no longer have an interest in it on a LP...personally.

Google, in conjunction with wikipedia, tells me....

With regard to tone, a longer scale (e.g. Fender Telecasters with
25.5 inch
(
648 mm
) scale length) favors "brightness" or cleaner overtones and more separated harmonics versus a shorter scale (e.g. Gibson Les Paul with
in (
628 mm
) scale length) which favors "warmth" or more muddy overtones.

I know you guys are talking electrics, but I note Gibson J45s are also "short scale" - 24.75. The jumbo Guild F50R I recently acquired is 25.625 (25 5/8)! Great tone, but the additional stretch between the frets is noticeable up near the nut...

As Rabs said, the 25.5 scale has a higher tension, and (all other things being equal) more brightness & IMO, definition also.

Oddly enough the short scale 24" Fenders (eg: Mustang & Duo Sonic) still sound very Fender like.

It took me quite a while to adapt the muscle memory to accommodate a change in scale. If like me, you change fretting position a lot, the scale change can catch you out. For that reason I stick to practicing on the guitar I intend to use at a gig for a few days.

As Rabs said, the 25.5 scale has a higher tension, and (all other things being equal) more brightness & IMO, definition also.

Oddly enough the short scale 24" Fenders (eg: Mustang & Duo Sonic) still sound very Fender like.

It took me quite a while to adapt the muscle memory to accommodate a change in scale. If like me, you change fretting position a lot, the scale change can catch you out. For that reason I stick to practicing on the guitar I intend to use at a gig for a few days.

All true. I don't think scale length means anything after a certain point in guitar playing, but that doesn't stop the never ending analysis, which is fine even if I think it is a waste of time. I take one of each and sure, I have to look a little more for the first few songs, but it's the guitar, I know if I'm using a Les Paul or a tele and the old claws just know where to go.

rct

All true. I don't think scale length means anything after a certain point in guitar playing, but that doesn't stop the never ending analysis, which is fine even if I think it is a waste of time. I take one of each and sure, I have to look a little more for the first few songs, but it's the guitar, I know if I'm using a Les Paul or a tele and the old claws just know where to go.

rct

Yes..

I think one of the main reasons people want to know all this stuff is because they seem to think that if they get "the right guitar" it will make them play or sound better...

Of course anyone who has been through this knows that's not true.. While a nice new guitar or amp or even a pedal can inspire you to want to play more and may even inspire you creatively (which is a good thing) the only thing that will help you play better is practice and experience.. there is no other way.

Yes..

I think one of the main reasons people want to know all this stuff is because they seem to think that if they get "the right guitar" it will make them play or sound better...

Of course anyone who has been through this knows that's not true.. While a nice new guitar or amp or even a pedal can inspire you to want to play more and may even inspire you creatively (which is a good thing) the only thing that will help you play better is practice and experience.. there is no other way.

Personally, I have no illusions about nice equipment making me better. I simply enjoy playing with nice stuff. Also, premium equipment does inspire and motivate me to play and because of my physical limitations, I really need motivation. It's much the same with my photography, in which I use professional grade equipment because it's pleasure to use, not because it makes me a better photographer...it doesn't.

It doesn't have to do with bragging rights either, as I do not play with others people and very few, if anyone, outside of my family will ever even see my stuff.

My intro may help explain my somewhat unique situation http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/133863-greetings-from-socal/

Personally, I have no illusions about nice equipment making me better. I simply enjoy playing with nice stuff. Also, premium equipment does inspire and motivate me to play and because of my physical limitations, I really need motivation. It's much the same with my photography, in which I use professional grade equipment because it's pleasure to use, not because it makes me a better photographer...it doesn't.

It doesn't have to do with bragging rights either, as I do not play with others people and very few, if anyone, outside of my family will ever even see my stuff.

My intro may help explain my somewhat unique situation http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/133863-greetings-from-socal/

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong... Im not accusing anyone specifically.. And you certainly seem to speak from experience but we have a lot of people come on here who ask the question, which guitar should I buy or which guitar is better.. Or what years were good years etc etc... for which of course there are no real answers..

And indeed its kind of fun to sit and talk about this stuff and is after all why we are here.. I just think some people get too caught up in the specs and the myths that surround electric guitars.. If those people would just play more and stop worrying so much about the details they would be better players and in turn worry less about it all :)

I myself am really thankful for this forum.. When I first came on here (Jan 2012) all I knew is how to play and came on here to find out about a Gibson I just bought, I knew NOTHING technically, I mean I could set my guitars up but that's about it (and that's not rocket science)... Within the first year of being on here I started to build my first guitar and now im trying to start a business doing it... that's how much this place has helped me.. some people just need to take it all a bit less seriously, its meant to be fun :)

So ive said it before and will say it again.. Thank you to all who participate on here and help this place to be the wealth of information and support that it is [thumbup]=D> =D> (and those of you who read but don't write, come join in, we could do with some more new blood)

Archived