Gibson Brands Forums

Uniontown

dhanners623

Dan, look at the YouTube address in your first post you have a period in the address in the word tube

The link works I copied the subject line and used that in my post and your Video was imbedded .the address copied from YouTube of your vid is different then your link. A space where there should not be one will effect it. Just a thought [cursing]

Dan, look at the YouTube address in your first post you have a period in the address in the word tube

The link works I copied the subject line and used that in my post and your Video was imbedded .the address copied from YouTube of your vid is different then your link. A space where there should not be one will effect it. Just a thought [cursing]

I just tried that and still no joy.

Here's what I've been doing:

1. In my post, I type bracket-media-bracket (using words here instead of symbols);

2. I go to YouTube and click on the curved arrow in my video that is for copying the URL (and the URL has a youtu.be address);

3. I go back to my post and paste the URL;

4. I remove the "s" from the https;

5. I type bracket-slash-media-bracket

I have no idea if there's something I'm not doing that I should be, or something that I'm doing wrong.

2. I go to YouTube and click on the curved arrow in my video that is for copying the URL (and the URL has a youtu.be address);

There is your error. You must highlight and copy from the address window of your browser..........the little bar at the top of the page showing the complete address.

There is your error. You must highlight and copy from the address window of your browser..........the little bar at the top of the page showing the complete address.

Aha! Thanks. Didn't know that. Made the change.

I appreciate it. I felt so dense not being able to figure it out.

Easy to listen to, and more reflection than protest really. Cheers Dan.

I haven't heard the Youngstown song by Bruce Springsteen, (I did write a song about the great goth armoured car heist that was in Youngstown, but it's just a rock song) - I do like many of Bruce's songs.

Sometimes, you finish a song and you're happy with yourself and life is good. Then you play the song out for an audience and it strikes you that something is just off. The lyrics don't fit the melody or tempo, or the key is wrong or the song's story needs a different vibe. Or all of the above.

Had a showcase spot at Tribeca Sessions in Dubai this weekend and included "Uniontown" in my set. Folks seemed to like it, but I didn't. The song just felt wrong, for some reason. I can't describe it, but the song just wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. So yesterday and today I sat down and retooled the song. Put it in a different (and minor) key and made it more atmospheric. Did some stringent editing and rewriting; ironically, despite adding a verse, this version is actually 33 words shorter than the original. I feel much better about this version. I'll try to film a video tomorrow. Here are the rewritten lyrics:

Uniontown

© 2016 by David Hanners

In eighteen hundred and ninety-four, here in Uniontown

United Mine Workers went to war, here in Uniontown

Struck for rights and better pay, here in Uniontown

Guards put five strikers in the grave, here in Uniontown

Here in Uniontown

Our coal made steel, built this land, here in Uniontown

Don't need a college degree to understand, here in Uniontown

China dumps steel $400 a ton, here in Uniontown

In the war with foreign steel, foreign steel won, here in Uniontown

Here in Uniontown

Trusted politicians time and again, here in Uniontown

UMW helped them win, here in Uniontown

Get to Washington then forget us, here in Uniontown

Jobs they promised, we ain't seen 'em yet, here in Uniontown

Here in Uniontown

Look around for someone to blame

Immigrants who call God a different name

Welfare, Mexicans, liberal press

Our own shortsightedness

Here in Uniontown

I mine like my dad 'fore me, here in Uniontown

King Coal bought homes up and down this street, here in Uniontown

Wife says we should get out now, leave Uniontown

Or be the last ones standin' in a ghost town named Uniontown

Here in Uniontown

Here in Uniontown

Here in Uniontown

I genuinely prefer version one personally, but version 2 is good as well, just seemed a bit more obvious and familiar whereas V1 had a little more edge that I liked. Good stuff. [thumbup]

Thanks for the input. I replaced the video with a revised version, capoing the guitar at the 5th fret instead of the 2nd. I think it uses my voice (such as it is...) better.

Hey, brother, your song and your right to get it

to where you like it. I like it either way. My attitude is that if something's not worth protesting, it must be OK as it stands. Hmmm.... There might actually be a song there, too👍

All good art requires editing. Even bad art requires editing. To that end, here is the current version of "Uniontown." It has gone through about two dozen rewrites, but I think it is finally where I want it to be. Maybe. Perhaps. Let me know.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnRC-WR8V8U

All good art requires editing. Even bad art requires editing.

! Only now do I see you are playing with the strings upside down - does everyone else around here know that ?

U must be the only member doin' it. Good to have that specialty represented too ^

Doesn't everybody play like that?

No no no, dhanners, , , you have the guitar turned around, but the pick-guard right, , , then the strings wrong.

I'm afraid you could be called a very weird player, sir.

However you're not alone, , , there is one in northern Barcelona as well. .

No no no, dhanners, , , you have the guitar turned around, but the pick-guard right, , , then the strings wrong.

I'm afraid you could be called a very weird player, sir.

However you're not alone, , , there is one in northern Barcelona as well. .

Albert King, Elizabeth Cotten, Bill Staines, **** Dale (this forum won't let me type D-i-c-k Dale...) and Otis Rush are among the lefties who play "upside down," i.e., the bass strings closest to the floor.

But here's the mind-blower. Know what other lefty played like this?

None other than ORVILLE GIBSON himself.

Albert King, Elizabeth Cotten, Bill Staines, **** Dale (this forum won't let me type D-i-c-k Dale...) and Otis Rush are among the lefties who play "upside down," i.e., the bass strings closest to the floor.

But here's the mind-blower. Know what other lefty played like this?

Do I get this right, you don't simply have a righty guitar turned upside down, instead you have a lefty guitar, but with the strings reversed.

So maybe you learned to play as a beginner with a righty guitar, turned upside down, later wanted a guitar that looked "right", but prefered to keep the strings reversed.

Close?? [biggrin]

So righty guitar with moved pickguard, or lefty guitar with modified nut and saddle???? Curious minds want to know...

Lars

Do I get this right, you don't simply have a righty guitar turned upside down, instead you have a lefty guitar, but with the strings reversed.

So maybe you learned to play as a beginner with a righty guitar, turned upside down, later wanted a guitar that looked "right", but prefered to keep the strings reversed.

Close?? [biggrin]

So righty guitar with moved pickguard, or lefty guitar with modified nut and saddle???? Curious minds want to know...

Lars

The only thing lefty about my guitar is the pickguard. It's a standard righty J-35. When I got it, I had the pickguard removed and had a lefty pickguard made out of firestripe material.

That's the way I learned to play. Taught myself to play on my late brother's blonde Stella, which had no pickguard, so I didn't know I was holding it upside down. I just held it the way that felt natural for me. By the time I had learned my "error," I already knew D, A and E chords so I figured it was too late to learn the "right" way.

Things get more and more amazing - I knew he was a lefty, but strings upside down, , , wow.

Now further research tells me he was the first to introduce this style, , ,

and even made the rule that oppo-players must be able to wear this galla-dress-code at the annual upside-down-fests.

Hope you have your outfit together, dh.

Approx 1895 ~ Orville%20Gibson%20-.jpg

Archived