Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Help to decide!

melpi65

Hi guys,

This is my first topic.

I have the posibitly to buy 1 Gibson SG, "but"....i see it's not in good shape and i don't know who to date it and how much i should pay for it.

Anyway i would like if somebody can help me to date it and to see if at least what it has it's original.

I share pics :)

2_zpstx4r7b05.jpg

6_zpsonsc1xhx.jpg

20151103_114210_zpsn9cwfaa6.jpg

7_zpsvsflzapq.jpg

8_zpslgnrlzel.jpg

4_zpsux7b337o.jpg

5_zpsrijysdix.jpg

I'm no expert, looks like a 70's era. Little rough, as far as finish, a cleaning and a hose down of old English furniture polish with almond oil would help... but that head.... not sure if that's a half a$$ repair job or what... me, I'd need to know more about it or have someone look at it. It may need professional work, and I'd want to know up front.

I just bought a 2016 worn T new for $ 599.00.... no, it's not a standard with a bigsby but really nice guitar.... I'd pass on this myself without knowing for sure what else could be off and what my final cost would be with professional repairs.

How much is it?

I'm no expert, looks like a 70's era. Little rough, as far as finish, a cleaning and a hose down of old English furniture polish with almond oil would help... but that head.... not sure if that's a half a$$ repair job or what... me, I'd need to know more about it or have someone look at it. It may need professional work, and I'd want to know up front.

I just bought a 2016 worn T new for $ 599.00.... no, it's not a standard with a bigsby but really nice guitar.... I'd pass on this myself without knowing for sure what else could be off and what my final cost would be with professional repairs.

How much is it?

It looks like the 1974 Gibson SG on the post below. If you look at that head, it's showing hairline cracks on the head, but this one looks a lot worse... I don't know... perhaps it's not really an issue?

Hi guys,

This is my first topic.

I have the posibitly to buy 1 Gibson SG, "but"....i see it's not in good shape and i don't know who to date it and how much i should pay for it.

Hi there. Don't pay any money for the guitar in the pictures, that thing is awful.

rct

Based on that pick guard, it looks like a 71 or 72. So it's pretty cool.... I'm thinking for $ 500.00 bucks in repair and re-spray you might have a pretty bad a$$ guitar...

http://tfuwotwm.blogspot.com/2014/06/gibson-guitars-custom-shop-sg-standard.html#!/2014/06/gibson-guitars-custom-shop-sg-standard.html

Then again, I never really got the whole vintage thing... you can walk into GC and get a really nice brand new 2017 SG standard for like $ 1,400.00. that guitar you're looking at is going to need some work. If you don't want the shell out 1,400 there are great warn and faded sg's for like $799.00.... less bling... but still nice.... I myself don't collect. I get it if you do. I just play um...

The pickups are worth $250 for $300 each. The bridge, trem and tuners are worth another $100. The wiring harness is worth $100.

I'd give about $400 to $450 for it. Try to glue up the head stock and play it. If that didn't work I'd part it out and pocket the cash.

Yikes!

I'm with rct. Run from that guitar. Not sure what is going on with the headstock (finish damage from the tape, chips, cracks/splitting, and maybe a repaired headstock), but it does not look good.

Upvote%20quota.jpg

rct

Hi guys!

Thanks for the advice, i will try to go after it, 400€ its s fair price i guess. The only thing its the seller things the value is like thousands....i will explain the reality and if its ok perfect, otherwise i will have to let it go, i really dont know if it has more issues aprt of we can see in the pics.

And also frets has to be changed... and its a big ammount of money... something to think about it.

Thank you for all the comment, i will post the end of the story soon 😊😊😊

Hi guys!

Thanks for the advice, i will try to go after it, 400€ its s fair price i guess. The only thing its the seller things the value is like thousands....i will explain the reality and if its ok perfect, otherwise i will have to let it go, i really dont know if it has more issues aprt of we can see in the pics.

And also frets has to be changed... and its a big ammount of money... something to think about it.

Thank you for all the comment, i will post the end of the story soon 😊😊😊

It's a 71 or 72 Gibson SG DELUXE Standard. They are not very desirable even though they are Gibsons. In perfect shape with the original case it might bring $1800 if the right buyer came along.

In the condition this one is in $450 would be my max and that's just because I think I could get my money back out of the parts if need be.

The only thing its the seller thinks the value is like thousands..

yea but, we call this delusional... just cuz it's a early 70s Gibson, doesn't automatically make it worth 3k. That thing is a train wreck.

The only real vaule is the pickups and some of the hardware like Clint mentions. But if you're looking to get that as a player? NOPE...

you wold do a lot better with that kind of money for something else. (eg: a new Epiphone Les Paul Standard or maybe even Tribute for not a lot more dough)

If you really like this guitar, you could send those picks to Gibson to see what it would cost for a restore... I'm thinking $ 1,000.00 U.S. for a restore... it would be done right by Gibson... so you could end up with a really nice guitar for 1,500.00 bucks... if you could get it for about $400.00 bucks...

http://www.gibson.com/Support/Repair-and-Restoration.aspx

Hola guys!

Finally i would get it for 400€....

Is it worth it?

Take notice that i live in Spain...to all the prices here are quite different from EEUU, i guess there is cheaper but i'm not sure about it.

Anyway if i see it's not a good deal i can resell the parts i take for this guitar to sell it on ebay or whatever.

Cheers and many many thanks for all your advices!!!

I will put new pics as soon as i have it.

Hola guys!

Finally i would get it for 400€....

Is it worth it?

Take notice that i live in Spain...to all the prices here are quite different from EEUU, i guess there is cheaper but i'm not sure about it.

Anyway if i see it's not a good deal i can resell the parts i take for this guitar to sell it on ebay or whatever.

Cheers and many many thanks for all your advices!!!

I will put new pics as soon as i have it.

That guitar is a mess. It's like buying an old wooden sailboat that has been run up on the rocks

and damaged. I don't think it's in playable condition. You must make sure that the neck is straight,

and that the truss rod actually works, and that the headstock has not been broken, and that the frets

can be corrected. They might need to be replaced.

The only reason to buy it is if you enjoy working on guitars and have a lot of skill, and a lot of time.

Because that guitar needs a lot of work, by someone who knows what they are doing.

If you don't do the work yourself you'll need to pay the best luthier you can afford to make that

guitar playable. Whoever owns that guitar ought to have the money and energy to restore it to

correct condition. It can be done, but the cost might be between 1000 and 2000 Euros.

Only you can decide if you want to take on a project that will require lots of work and lots of expense.

People say that the parts are valuable, but there is no way to know that. The parts may have been replaced

by whatever. So I believe that buying this guitar is like gambling.

I don't like gambling. I like a sure thing. So if I had 400 Euros to spend, I would buy the best Epiphone I could afford

and then spend some money replacing the parts on that so that it became a great guitar. I have done this, and it works.

If you don't like that idea, I would save up a few more Euros and buy a new Gibson, one that has a reasonable price tag.

The Gibson SG special T is a new version that invokes the '70s while correcting the problems of instruments of that era.

So if you want a guitar to play music, this is what I would recommend.

I don't know why you guys are so sure that this guitar is unplayable. It's only issue is the de-laminating of the headstock which a little glue and a clap would fix in an hour. I've put Gibsons back together that were in far worse shape than this. I'd be surprised if this thing didn't need anything more than a set of strings to be playable.

I don't know why you guys are so sure that this guitar is unplayable. It's only issue is the de-laminating of the headstock which a little glue and a clap would fix in an hour. I've put Gibsons back together that were in far worse shape than this. I'd be surprised if this thing didn't need anything more than a set of strings to be playable.

Take a look at the nut in the picture. The slots are a mess. The nut is a crucial point for tone. If you pay an excellent luthier to make a new one, or if

you have the time and the skill to do it yourself, it's repairable. I would call that nut unplayable.

Whether the neck is straight is question #1... before you start spending money or time on the nut, you'll need to establish whether the neck on this

42+ year old guitar can be made straight. Next, the frets... can they be made level? Do they need replacement? A fret job on a vintage guitar is

something that needs to be done right, requiring that you spend your time (if you have the skill) or your money if you do NOT have the skill.

My point was just that. Taking this guitar on requires the efforts of someone who knows what they are doing, or someone who can pay.

If you've restored Gibsons that were worse than this, then you are in a rare category of skilled persons, but maybe the OP is not.

He sounded like he was excited to find a vintage guitar he could afford, but he didn't sound like he knew about the can of worms

he might be opening. I don't know. So I offered some words of caution, thinking that if he's got 450 Euros to spend, he might have

other options. He might be able to find a guitar that would make music without requiring a lot of restoration work.

That would be my recommendation. A person who has luthier skills and proper tools, and a good workshop in which to perform the labor...

might be able to restore this fine old warhorse to playable condition. A person who has money to burn and a nostalgia for old Gibsons might

be able to manage it too. But I believe firmly that someone who wants to make music will be better served by a newer guitar, simply because

it is likely to have fewer issues. I believe it's better to buy a guitar that is no more and no less than it seems.

Just my humble opinion, of course. I wish the OP good luck in his quest.

Take a look at the nut in the picture. The slots are a mess. The nut is a crucial point for tone. If you pay an excellent luthier to make a new one, or if

you have the time and the skill to do it yourself, it's repairable. I would call that nut unplayable.

The nut only effects 6 notes on the guitar. The only time it becomes an issue is when the slots are cut too low to allow the string to clear the first fret. There's no way to judge that from the one picture of the nut.

Whether the neck is straight is question #1... before you start spending money or time on the nut, you'll need to establish whether the neck on this

42+ year old guitar can be made straight. Next, the frets... can they be made level? Do they need replacement? A fret job on a vintage guitar is

something that needs to be done right, requiring that you spend your time (if you have the skill) or your money if you do NOT have the skill.

This is true of any guitar and there's nothing in the pictures to suggest that the neck is warped or the frets are worn out.

Hi guys!

I'm back. Finally i got it by 300€.

I have it with my and i made better pictures.

I have a doubt with the year and the serial number, as far as i read in the picture you can see here is this 325075 ? Right? In guitarproject they say it's a 1965 Kalamazoo guitar but as far as i see everywhere the picture are 1972/1971

Can somebody help in this?

IMG_5564_zpszhqsxmem.jpg

IMG_5563_zpsib5fwbd7.jpg

Hi guys!

I'm back. Finally i got it by 300€.

I have it with my and i made better pictures.

I have a doubt with the year and the serial number, as far as i read in the picture you can see here is this 325075 ? Right? In guitarproject they say it's a 1965 Kalamazoo guitar but as far as i see everywhere the picture are 1972/1971

Can somebody help in this?

IMG_5564_zpszhqsxmem.jpg

IMG_5563_zpsib5fwbd7.jpg

Great job! I'll give you $400 for it right now. [thumbup]

I assure you the guitar is a 71 or 72 Gibson SG DELUXE Standard. to know which we will need to see the code numbers on the back of the pots.

Archived