Gibson Brands Forums

Why no more LGs or B-25s?

robroy

I just got a 1968 B-25N that is an awesome guitar, based on earlier LG-2s. Nice playing size and great tone. I like the sound out of it at least as much as my 000-28ec and far more than a 000-18 that I used to have.

Why on earth did Gibson quit making this line? I know they made a vintage reissue in small numbers but this model could be among their most popular I think.

Robert

P.S. I wish they'd get rid of those stupid robot faces right next to the writing area. I find it distracting.

Regarding the LG/B25 series, I believe Gibson made some new reissue ones for shipment to Japan during the past year. The reissues were selling new for about $2000 if I'm not mistaken. Your B25N was actually the successor to the LG3 which was the same as the LG2 only Natural. The LG and B25 series were pretty identical. Not clear why they renamed them from the LG (which meant Little Guitar) series to the B25 series. Another Gibson history mystery. I have a 1965 LG1, which is the same as the LG2 only with ladder bracing instead of X bracing. With proper set up of the LG1 to compensate for the quieter sound the ladder bracing produces (meaning the action needs to be set higher to get a bit more sound out of it), the LG1 is pretty comparable to the LG2...a great little guitar. Both guitars are quite small, so its debateable whether the ladder or X bracing makes that much difference if the LG1 is set up slightly higher to project better. I've compared both. If a LG1, though, is set up low like an electric guitar, the LG2 definitely projects more. The drawback of all of the LG and B25 series is they are quieter than the larger size dreadnoughts, but they are really responsive and great playing guitars. The necks are short scale and 60's thin, but one quickly adapts to the thin neck after a short while...actually gets to like it's pleasurable playing.

Regarding the upper and lower bouts, without measuring...the upper bout is definitely slightly bigger than the Nick Lucas model. The lower bout might be about the same...though, not sure.

QM

The upper bout measures 11 1/8" and the lower bout 14 1/8" with a depth of about 4 1/4"--very compact sized guitar and it plays every bit as nice as a 000.

The narrow neck is a drawback for me and I'm actually looking for a LG-2 or 3 with a 1 11/16 nut. They're getting pretty pricey. I've also looked at the limited reissues of LG-2s and may wind up going that route. Has anyone had any experience with those?

I played a '64 B25 in a local store a few years ago. The thing blew me AWAY! One of my all-time favourite-sounding Gibsons. I wish I'd had the money to buy it, but at the time I wanted the SJ200 that is now my staple guitar, so I passed it up. I wish I'd had the loot to buy both, though, as it was a tremendous little guitar.

Regarding the LG/B25 series' date=' I believe Gibson made some new reissue ones for shipment to Japan during the past year. The reissues were selling new for about $2000 if I'm not mistaken.

QM[/quote']

Here's a link to one site with some of these Japanese-ordered re-issues listed (scroll down a bit):

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/lis/sho/stock.cgi?sid=1063

A cherryburst example, B-25 re-issue:

1991_1.jpg

1991_3.jpg

Fred

In my obsession over these guitars, I have just ordered two LG-2s, one new vintage series reissue from Musicians' Friend and another '47 LG-2 from an outfit in SLC, Utah. They both have the 1 11/16s nut width but I think the neck profile will be quite different. I will compare the two and one will get sent back.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Robert

I picked up an LG-2 several weeks ago. I think it's a '47-- no numbers anywhere, but it was a one owner guitar, purchased for a girl's 14th birthday in early 1948.

Anyway, it is a wonderful guitar- very balanced, clear and snappy. My fiddle playing friends love it!! :-({|=

Congrats Hoss! I bet it is wonderful--I think Dave's (SLC) LG he had in Bozeman is about the same vintage and that is one of the best I've ever played. ( and my '46 j-45 is a tone monster).

I've been looking for a good 40's model at a reasonable price--struck out recently on a Banner I bought on-line from a GC--it was falling apart and beyond good repair.

I picked up a used 000-18 GE at a fair price to get me through my 40's LG lust for the time being.

Archived