Gibson Brands Forums

To "Poker Chip, or NOT?

charlie brown

A lot of 2017 LP models seem to come without the "poker chip" (Treble Rhythm) washer, around the selector switch.

And, so I wonder how everyone feels, about that?

Personally, I'm OK with it, either way. But, I've always felt like with the P-90 "Goldtop" versions, R-2,3,4 & 6, it looked

"normal," or even better without it. While on the later and newer "Humbucker versions," it looks more "Normal"

WITH it. LOL Who knows, "Why?" Just a personal feeling, preference, maybe?

What do you all think? Or, do you care, either way? Just curious... [biggrin]

CB

I think.. If the top is pretty then you should have no chip or pickguard (or at least an optional one) to show as much of the top as possible...

I like the way they look without a chip.. BUT, if you are looking at a traditional burst colour it does look like something is missing but that's just cos we are used to it... If the colour is like wine red or blue or something, leave them off.

Its not like we need to be told what pickup is what... :)

msp_laugh.gif

J/K.................sort-of.

If the Lester has a trapeze tailpiece - i.e. G-T Mk. 1 or re-issue thereof - then no chip. Otherwise Yes.

What can I say? I'm a Luddite Traditionalist.

I also happen to believe the visual aspect of the LP is somehow more balanced with the chip on.

There are no exceptions.

Pip.

I'm sure I'll leave all the nine stock "poker chips" on, and I guess I would add one to a 2017 Les Paul or SG, too. B)

Sometimes I considered removing it from my Quilt Top LP to show a bit more of the nice deep purple stain, but I went with leaving it alone.

I think some LPs look good without it and some look good with it. I also think that the 2017 HP looks good without it, in part because of all the chrome. The same can be said of the pick guard. My Epi LP Standard has such nice maple, I hated to cover any of it up, though in some ways it looked nice with it. I ended up getting a laser cut clear pickguard which gives me the best of both...something of a ghost...it's there but, it isn't.

I like how the 2017 Std HP has the option of removing the PG. You can always add the PC if you like.

I also think it's a good thing that there are so many kinds of LPs to satisfy so many tastes.

I know "Treble" and "Rhythm" but what's the middle position called? msp_confused.gif

My old poker chip imprints rubbed off, now I'm lost...What's "Treble" and what is "Rhythm". msp_w00t.gif

I still don't know why I play solo on "Rhythm"; Gibson installed the poker chip upside down! msp_cursing.gif

Are Les Paul's the only ones with poker chips?

I know "Treble" and "Rhythm" but what's the middle position called? msp_confused.gif

You made me think about "Trythm" or "Rheble", but it could also be "Twilight Zone" [biggrin]

My old poker chip imprints rubbed off, now I'm lost...What's "Treble" and what is "Rhythm". msp_w00t.gif

If there is an "R" and a "T" pickup model each, they might define that. I have no clue about PAF pickups though - they all are "R" spaced. Three pickups may also increase confusion [tongue]

I still don't know why I play solo on "Rhythm"; Gibson installed the poker chip upside down! msp_cursing.gif

Is soloing in the "Rhythm" position a bad thing? Up to now I never worried about that :-k

Are Les Paul's the only ones with poker chips?

SGs usually came with them, too. All of mine have it stock, and on the one with the tog pot for the middle pickup this isn't mentioned. The chip looks just the same, and I have to deal with that myself. [crying] :unsure: [rolleyes]

Missionary.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

By the way, the middle position is my choice for storage to minimize load-induced fatigue of the contact tongues. They seem to like that in the darkness of the hard cases - all of the toggle switches are perfectly reliable since up to 34 years. :) In all positions when in use [flapper]

You made me think about "Trythm" or "Rheble", but it could also be "Twilight Zone" [biggrin]

No wonder I'm always lost in the middle...msp_biggrin.gif

If there is an "R" and a "T" pickup model each, they might define that. I have no clue about PAF pickups though - they all are "R" spaced. Three pickups may also increase confusion [tongue]

Mostly, I have the old "R" spaced pickups.

Is soloing in the "Rhythm" position a bad thing? Up to now I never worried about that :-k

Not a bad thing... I like solos in "Rhythm" and play rhythm in "Treble" with tone lowered a little.... no wonder it's confusing. Fortunately being old, I can't read the "poker chip" without reading glasses. I let my ears do the seeing.

SGs usually came with them, too. All of mine have it stock, and on the one with the tog pot for the middle pickup this isn't mentioned. The chip looks just the same, and I have to deal with that myself. [crying] :unsure: [rolleyes]

You're right about that. I had to check my SG's.

Missionary.

I like that position...msp_love.gif msp_lol.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hadn't even thought about it when I got mine. Mine did come with a detached pickguard that I'll probably leave off. But, it didn't come with the "poker chip" around the selector switch. Can those be purchased at a dealer if I decide I want one?

Archived