Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for some advice

Duncan OR

First substantial post here; looking for some advice on a guitar upgrade. I realize that the question will seem kind of open-ended, but I'd be grateful for any insights.

First, some background: I've been playing on and off for about 30 years, but with a long hiatus at one point, so let's say effectively 10 years. My current guitar collection contains two Fenders (Mexi-Tele and an American Deluxe Strat), a 1980's-era Yamaha Strat clone that I've owned since new, now somewhat modded, and an Epiphone G-400 SG. Aside from a practice amp I, have a Fender Super Sonic 22W combo amp.

I play a bunch of different stuff, all just for fun with a few friends, but mostly focused on blues with a little rock thrown in.

Here's where I'm looking for advice: I'm considering an upgrade for my Epiphone to a Gibson, originally looking at an SG but also now looking at a potential LP purchase...

First concrete question: the SG I have has a pretty slim neck profile (which I like) but from trying out a few different (mostly used) LPs there are clearly a bunch of different neck profiles. Looking at a few LPs currently for sale on Reverb.com, it's pretty confusing trying to interpret descriptions of neck profiles. Can anybody help here? Is there a standard reference describing the different neck shapes?

More open ended: any particular advice in looking at used LPs? I see quite a few listings on Reverb that look interesting, but it's hard to know how much of a leap in the dark it is buying one effectively unseen. I see quite a few listings with headstock repairs, which I guess is a common issue. Not really sure how big of a deal that is, depending on how well done the repair is. Any thoughts?

Again, I realize this is kind of open-ended, but any thoughts or suggestions to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Hi Duncan,

welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of very knowledgeable and helpful people on here.

There are rally only two neck profiles to consider 50's style fat necks and 60's slim ones, though some of the newer Les Paul Standards asymmetrical shaped necks (I think I've got that bit right, I've never played one) but all the necks can vary slightly because there hand finished. If your used to a slim neck I'd suggest a 60's profile will probably suit you.

Selecting a Les Paul is a bit more difficult. I think you need to consider do you want an older style classical LP (ie 50's style with no mod cons) or a more modern take on the Les Paul? Also how much do you want to spend? I say that because new LP's range in price from £800-£1000 up to £6000 plus.

Regarding guitars with headstock damage you need to consider that even if it's a good repair, it will half the second hand value. Also be aware there are quite a few imitation guitars out there waiting to trap the unwary, if you can get as many photo's and details of any second hand guitars your considering and post them on here for some of the more expert members to check. If you can get the serial number you can e-mail it to Gibson, they will tell you about the guitar that serial belongs to. I've always found them very good.

It would be well worth hanging around here for a while picking up knowledge before rushing out to buy

There are quite a few new bargain's to be found out there especially if you are happy to except say a 2015 guitar, not everyone's favourites, but if your happy with the wider fretboard, auto tune, and zero fret nut take a look at those:

http://www.dv247.com/news/Gibson%20Guitar%202015%20Stock%20Clearance%20Sale%20/133571

The Sprint Run one doesn't have the wider fretboard by the way, I'd say that was a bargain.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Ian

My only advice is to hold and play your potential purchases in person before you buy.

It won't matter what exact model or neck profile.

The right guitar will feel right, sound great, and play like a dream.

And you'll know it when you hold it and stroke it with your own hands.

You roll the dice when you choose to order online based on somebody else's opinions and advice.

Much better to meet that dream guitar in person.

:unsure:

First concrete question: the SG I have has a pretty slim neck profile (which I like) but from trying out a few different (mostly used) LPs there are clearly a bunch of different neck profiles. Looking at a few LPs currently for sale on Reverb.com, it's pretty confusing trying to interpret descriptions of neck profiles. Can anybody help here? Is there a standard reference describing the different neck shapes?

1st thing is the Epiphone neck profiles are not like Gibsons, As mentioned since the necks are all hand finished, no two will really be exactly alike when you're shopping US Made Gibsons. If you appreciate the slimmer profile, you will definitely want to look for a 60s slim taper.

More open ended: any particular advice in looking at used LPs? I see quite a few listings on Reverb that look interesting, but it's hard to know how much of a leap in the dark it is buying one effectively unseen.

clearly a topic that gets debated quite a lot, buying unseen un-played is a risk especially from ebay or reverb where you're looking at second hand guitars.

You are in much a better position if you buy online new at one of the larger retail outlets like Sweetwater or Musicians Friend, (or even Guitar Center) since they offer a far more liberal return policy. So if there is some thing really wrong with the purchase, (Defective, or you just don't like something about it) you at least have some where to go. Private sale via ebay or reverb, then it's really up to the seller. In this regard, you almost HAVE to buy a second hand one in person.

As for head stock repairs, this unfortunately is common. What Ian said is correct, there's a significant value reduction, which sometimes a seller wont really want to deal with, and try to pass it off as "professionally repaired" or "Stronger than originally made" but don't fall for it.

It is what it is, and IMHO it's best to walk away from those. For every one you find with a head stock repair you can find 2 without.

Unless you can see that A: it was repaired properly and B: the price reflects the condition. (note that a properly repaired head stock break is usually fine, it's again, the issue with the value in that condition)

Best of luck to you, the hunt is half the fun.

Thanks for the advice everybody! Really appreciate it.

The part about headstock repairs was having me scratch my head a bit. I was kind of assuming that it was best to stay away from those, but I was surprised looking at just how many there were. Is this a common thing to break?

Sounds like my best bet is to just find some examples to play. I have a couple of options:

I have a Guitar Center nearby, which has a pretty decent stock.

I also have a local non-chain store, which I always prefer to buy from whenever it's an option (because having a local store is awesome, so I support them with $$$ whenever feasible). Being a smaller store, they don't have very many examples of Gibsons to look at, unfortunately.

One more thing; I've been looking at used primarily because I'd rather buy something that already has a certain amount of wear, chips and dings. This may sound weird, but I'm kind of concerned that if I were to buy a brand new LP, I'd be terrified to take it out of the house :). I'd rather have somebody else put the first ding in it and take the inevitable drop in value...

One more thing; I've been looking at used primarily because I'd rather buy something that already has a certain amount of wear, chips and dings. This may sound weird, but I'm kind of concerned that if I were to buy a brand new LP, I'd be terrified to take it out of the house :). I'd rather have somebody else put the first ding in it and take the inevitable drop in value...

I understand this thought process, and I must say I agree for the most part.

It is nice taking a well-broken-in guitar and just cleaning it up, polishing it, restringing it, setting the action, and playing it!!

In no time it is your baby!!

:lol:

Hello

Let me tell you my experience, if it can help. (I'm french, hope you'll undestand my english...)

I started to play guitar two years ago, with a fantastic Epiphone G400 Iommi. For my 40th birthday I wanted a beautiful guitar, getting bored of the black-black-black looking of the Epi, and less metal-oriented. I naturally thought Gibson SG (I knew my family and friends would offer me money). I really liked the Epi, even though I always found the neck was long, I thought the first frets were very far and uncomfortable to reach, but I was a beginner, so it was probably me, this would be fixed by time and work....

And then I tried a LP..... It doesn't seem very common but I think it's a more comfortable guitar: the neck is more "into" the body, making fisrt frets nearer, and less neck-heavy (I always felt my left arm was bearing the neck) the thickness of the body gives me a better feeling under the arm.

I bought a LP Studio 2015 Sprint Run for about 850$. A perfect guitar. The nack is a 60s profile, quite the same that the Epi slim taper, a little more flat at the middle, more comfortable for the thumb. The brass nut was damaged but they send titanium ones as soon as you send a mail.

For the sound, beauty is in the ear of the listener, but I can tell you it suits me well (from blues to hard rock).

In three words: go for it!

post-82738-036839500 1479979984_thumb.jpg

I bought a LP Studio 2015 Sprint Run for about 850$. A perfect guitar. The nack is a 60s profile, quite the same that the Epi slim taper, a little more flat at the middle, more comfortable for the thumb. The brass nut was damaged but they send titanium ones as soon as you send a mail.

For the sound, beauty is in the ear of the listener, but I can tell you it suits me well (from blues to hard rock).

That's a beautiful Les Paul, nevertoolate!

Thanks for sharing.

:)

Hello

Let me tell you my experience, if it can help. (I'm french, hope you'll undestand my english...)

I started to play guitar two years ago, with a fantastic Epiphone G400 Iommi. For my 40th birthday I wanted a beautiful guitar, getting bored of the black-black-black looking of the Epi, and less metal-oriented. I naturally thought Gibson SG (I knew my family and friends would offer me money). I really liked the Epi, even though I always found the neck was long, I thought the first frets were very far and uncomfortable to reach, but I was a beginner, so it was probably me, this would be fixed by time and work....

And then I tried a LP..... It doesn't seem very common but I think it's a more comfortable guitar: the neck is more "into" the body, making fisrt frets nearer, and less neck-heavy (I always felt my left arm was bearing the neck) the thickness of the body gives me a better feeling under the arm.

Thanks for the rely! Much appreciated. And your English is excellent :)

I will definitely be spending some time with an LP studio. From all the comments, it seems like a 60's neck profile should be what I look at.

Try the Craigslist route, I have found excellent gear from pedals to high end guitars and amps, all within an hour ride.You will find the best deal for your money and be able to play before you buy as well. I suggest an early to late 90's studio for build quality. Be patient and the right one will come along. As for those who say Craigslist is dangerous,, I always have a phone conversation with any potential seller/buyer before meeting them..... as well as a cocked and locked 1911 B)

Try the Craigslist route, I have found excellent gear from pedals to high end guitars and amps, all within an hour ride.You will find the best deal for your money and be able to play before you buy as well. I suggest an early to late 90's studio for build quality. Be patient and the right one will come along. As for those who say Craigslist is dangerous,, I always have a phone conversation with any potential seller/buyer before meeting them..... as well as a cocked and locked 1911 B)

Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely take a look to see what is around locally. Although I don't have a 1911 (or equivalent) lying around B)

• 2 months later...

Just a follow-up from a couple of months ago when I was looking for advice - thanks to everybody who replied. That really helped me out.

I tried out a lot of different guitars, and eventually found a really nice lightly used 2015 SG standard. I looked at some LPs also, but there was a particular SG that my local non-chain store had that just felt right when I played it... very thin neck profile and super light weight. There's only a very little bit of fret wear (doesn't really seem like it's been played much) and everything on it was stock as far as I could tell.

I'll post details over on the SG sub-forum :-). In the meantime, thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.

Absolutely right....

I have been playing many guitars for last 36 years..mostly Ibanez...They are pretty good..

However I have always dreamt of owning a Gibson Les Paul..

Recently I finally spoilt myself bad and went ahead and bought myself a Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017... I believe it is in the very lower priced ranges of LP's..Nevertheless it is a very expensive bargain for Indians (I'm from Delhi)

However when I turned to play the guitar....What a beauty it turned out to be.... The LP simply floored me...Its simply awesome that I can't stop playing the guitar... My dream finally came true...

Even got the wife watching with a sly grin...

So coming back to your post, I too agree with you...Every guitar has its own beauty and voice...

My only advice is to hold and play your potential purchases in person before you buy.

It won't matter what exact model or neck profile.

The right guitar will feel right, sound great, and play like a dream.

And you'll know it when you hold it and stroke it with your own hands.

You roll the dice when you choose to order online based on somebody else's opinions and advice.

Much better to meet that dream guitar in person.

:unsure:

post-83776-084714600 1486144731_thumb.jpg

Archived