Gibson Brands Forums

Bill Kelliher "Halcyon" Les Paul

Ess

Anyone got or tried the Bill Kelliher "Halcyon" Les Paul?

I'm not a metal head by any means but i love the look of it and there's a new one going cheap.

Are the Lace pups useable for anything other than metal? They seem to have coil split, so that might help.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Bill-Kelliher-Halcyon-Les-Paul.aspx

I was shown the Lace pups recently at a guitar show - good for blues and straight-ahead rock too, they said....they sounded fine to me.

No coils!

Yeah but Lace do a big range of pups. The ones in the Halcyon LP are called 'Dissonant Aggressors'. Kind of hints at what they do!

I'm wondering if they work with short hair ☺

Yeah but Lace do a big range of pups. The ones in the Halcyon LP are called 'Dissonant Aggressors'. Kind of hints at what they do!

Yes they do!

In fact Bill Kelliher has short hair.

I really dig Mastodon, HUGE sound!

I was/am really tempted by the Halcycon LP, looks awesome IMO,

and last time I saw one it had a more than fair price for a signature model.

Knowing their sound that guitar should be pretty versatile.

The only problem I have is that I already have "enough" Lesters, so I'm waiting for one of Bill's beautiful Sig. Explorers to cross my way.

A nice video I found:

[biggrin] I never held one of them in my hands but read a review. The guy was surprised how smooth and clean the pickups sounded. There are very few details available - I couldn't even find what magnet material they use, but here's the data:

Neck: 6.0 Henries; 13.7 kOhms DC; resonance frequency 2380 Hz (capacitance of coils and cable not specified)

Bridge: 8.4 Henries; 17.8 kOhms DC; resonance frequency 1955 Hz (capacitance of coils and cable not specified)

The inductances say they are quite hot (DC resistance is meaningless). When I think of the Dirty Finger Pluses in my Government Series II Explorer - see my avatar -, I think of my jazziest pickups at all. Not dirty in any way without overloading an amp. The quite hot Flying Finger pickups of my Ibanez Artist are very hot, too - with just a third of the DC resistance, by the way - and are very versatile.

Finally, I would have bought me a Halcyon Les Paul if I had had the money... <_<

• 5 months later...

I hadn't heard of those pickups before and have no idea what they might sound like.

But I find the finish on that guitar just stunning. It's not a fancy flame or tiger, but it just looks very refined and sophisticated for some reason. More interesting than the "vintage burst" or other brown finishes that are so prevalent. It just looks RIGHT. [thumbup]

Archived