Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom (PRE-1976)

Johnass

I have a question concerning my father's Les Paul Custom. There's a bit of confusion as to how to date the guitar. My father passed away some years ago so I can't ask him anymore.

The issue is that my mother was sure he bought the guitar before they met (that was around '76). But when I search the serial number it says it was made at around '76 also. The serial number is 00119898, it's a black les paul custom, with chrome (no gold-coloured) hardware. When I look at the serial number on the back of the headstock it also looks exactly as a '76 les paul custom (gold coloured numbers and letters saying made in usa - les paul custom) but as I said before, the hardware and pearl inlays are silver-coloured. As far as I know, the guitar was bought in Belgium.

Right now the guitar is in for some small repairs, but as soon as I get it back, i can provide some photo's.

Thanks to anyone able to provide some info!

The "00" serial number prefix is a date code for 1976.

The serial number "decal" and two digit prefix date code was used for 1975 (99), 76 (00), 77 (06). This is fully documented, indisputable fact.

Now the chrome/nickel hardware IS odd. Chrome hardware on a LP Custom was NOT a "factory" option in the U.S. at that time, as gold hardware was one of the defining traits of the Custom. I have no idea what they might have offered for the European market.

Hello Johnass, welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

Lots of points have been mentioned before, and I just want to add one to the hardware plating. If it is about worn gold plating which is very common, the metal surface below would be nickel. Chrome plating is also done on a previous nickel layer, but chrome is much harder wearing than gold and nickel, making it likely to be still there.

Being before I went into business, I can't say if 1976 chrome plating was a factory option for Les Paul Customs sold here, but I positively know it was from at least 1979 on for several years. This included some finishes including ebony.

I'm curious about the pictures to come.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a '76 custom? What kind of Pickups would be in it? I've also noticed the neck consists of three pieces, would that be correct? Sorry about vall the questions but I just want to know everything there is about this guitar. Wood, hardware, tuners,... . I also noticed the serial number is on a oval-shaped decal. thanks! Jonas

The colour of the machine head platings is hardly identifiable from the pictures, but they look like period-correct OEM Schallers manufactured with GIBSON engraved backplates. Some Gibsons have stock tuners with the stylized Schaller S though.

The Gibson logo is period-correct, too, with b and o closed, and like lots of them with the i-dot missing.

Some more detailed hi-res pics showing plated hardware, taken with neutral lightning, perhaps flash, could be helpful for closer inspection if desired.

The upload memory per user account is limited to 500 kB in this board, not enough for a single hi-res pic. Hi-res pics will take uploading to an account at a web photo provider and pasting links into your respective post. That's how we all post pics here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I've been doing some research and now i'm really sure it's a '76 Custom. The serial n° decal, the serial n°itself and some other specifics already said it's a '76 custom. But yesterday i had someone look at the pickups. They were the t_top kind of pickups, with the serial number 2,737,842 stamped in the metal bottom plate. they also had a date stamped in ink which said Sep 1 1976, so that's pretty obvious I think. my only remaining question is, can I be sure it's a real T-top, without removing the cover plate?

Archived