Gibson Brands Forums

Sounhole Humidifiers

Bernie Fitz

I've recently gotten a new EJ200SCE and have been looking into various humidifiers. I see here on the forum and in other research that the types that go into the guitar's sound hole seem to be the most popular and efficient. I have what may be a dumb question: When using one of these, whether a Dampit, or Planet Waves packs or anything else can you store your guitar in the case with the case standing up on its side or does it need to be flat on the floor to prevent any leaking?

Thanks, Bernie

As long as the humidifier isn't saturated and leaking I think that storing it on it's side or end shouldn't matter that much. You might want to monitor it to make sure that everything is alright before it develops a problem.There is a thread going on over on the Gibson Acoustic thread right now for more opinions on this topic. Might help you gain more info.

There is nothing to leak from the Planet Waves Humidipaks, the only possible (minor) issue I can see is that one of the pouches should lie under the headstock and if the case is upright it's going to end up down by the heel unless you can find some way to fix it in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this post I use the Oasis humidifiers and have been for as long as they have been out never had one problem and I use them year around. I use one in the sound hole and one in the neck guitar in the case when not playing. Never worried about how the case sat just not upside down although one time flying from B.C to Ontario they did put it upside down everything was still good. For the price of these things and your time to fill them every eight to ten days its the best investment you will ever make for your guitar. B)

While I like my Planet Waves humidifier, I have found it much easier to just set the butt of my guitar on the toilet lid, with the guitar leaning back against the tank (sometimes I use a floor stand on the toilet's lid to make it more stable), while I take a steamy shower. I close the door to the bathroom and when I'm done showering I leave the guitar in the bathroom to absorb as much of the humidity in the air as it will. Whenever possible I leave the guitar in the bathroom for an extended period of time...over-night if possible, or at least 8 hours, just to allow it to humidify. I've never had a problem with any of my solid wood guitar pieces splitting.

My Planet Waves sound-hole humidifier is used when I travel with my guitars.

Cheers!

Dugly B)

While I like my Planet Waves humidifier, I have found it much easier to just set the butt of my guitar on the toilet lid, with the guitar leaning back against the tank (sometimes I use a floor stand on the toilet's lid to make it more stable), while I take a steamy shower. I close the door to the bathroom and when I'm done showering I leave the guitar in the bathroom to absorb as much of the humidity in the air as it will. Whenever possible I leave the guitar in the bathroom for an extended period of time...over-night if possible, or at least 8 hours, just to allow it to humidify. I've never had a problem with any of my solid wood guitar pieces splitting.

My Planet Waves sound-hole humidifier is used when I travel with my guitars.

Cheers!

Dugly B)

Yer a wild man!

Archived