Gibson Brands Forums

2016 1938 SJ-200

Victory Pete

Juan, dont worry about it. Im sure Pete is suffering from 30 odd years of Gibson bashing on every other forum and even believes it is true.

He will come around ..... eventually.

Huh?

Sorry man to say Gibson has terrible quality control is just not the right statement ...Bozeman is producing very good quality guitars.Sure every once in a while we see posts here about a guitar with some defect ...But that is very normal.Guitars are lively products which can sometimes react adversely to an environment .Some woods are more temperamental than others ...And this is true for any maker.

If you have had bad experiences with gibson acoustics maybe it is worth it to talk about the kind of dealer you visit or buy from.If Dealers sell a guitar with defects they mostly have not properly inspected the guitar well or have been negligent about returning it to the factory once a defect has been identified and let the consumer take the hit.

A guitar may come out perfect from the factory but may suffer in the shipping process due to many factors.So don't automatically assume it is gibson's fault ...

JC

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh?

Sorry man to say Gibson has terrible quality control is just not the right statement ...Bozeman is producing very good quality guitars.Sure every once in a while we see posts here about a guitar with some defect ...But that is very normal.Guitars are lively products which can sometimes react adversely to an environment .Some woods are more temperamental than others ...And this is true for any maker.

If you have had bad experiences with gibson acoustics maybe it is worth it to talk about the kind of dealer you visit or buy from.If Dealers sell a guitar with defects they mostly have not properly inspected the guitar well or have been negligent about returning it to the factory once a defect has been identified and let the consumer take the hit.

A guitar may come out perfect from the factory but may suffer in the shipping process due to many factors.So don't automatically assume it is gibson's fault ...

JC

Having bought 4 new Gibsons in the last 6 months I know of what I speak of. Having sent many e-mails to Gibson Acoustic directly I can assure you that they do in fact have hit or miss quality control. I don't have the time nor desire to get into every issue I have had with multiple guitars and my dealer has been fantastic with the problems I have had. It is not the dealer who is responsible for poor quality control, it is Gibson's. Even they agree about the frequent finish problems.

Pete ..... just out of curiosity, were you known earlier as GuitarLight ?

Having bought 4 new Gibsons in the last 6 months I know of what I speak of. Having sent many e-mails to Gibson Acoustic directly I can assure you that they do in fact have hit or miss quality control. I don't have the time nor desire to get into every issue I have had with multiple guitars and my dealer has been fantastic with the problems I have had. Even they agree about the frequent finish problems.

Is it just me or does this guitar have almost no bass coming from it ? I remember playing one J-200 Rosewood and it was an absolutely powerful beast. This one sounds pretty thin and not particularly impressive if Im really honest. Look great however.

EA,

I learned after reading about Santa Cruz guitars and Richard Hoover that Rosewood guitars aren't automatically "super bassy" that is just a myth that if you want a ton of bass get "Braz Rosewood".

What he said is the bass came from the way the wood was dimensioned.So maybe back in the 30's some Rosewood 200's has more bass than others.Obviously the adirondack and the bracing also play a part in that.

JC

Juan, dont worry about it. Im sure Pete is suffering from 30 odd years of Gibson bashing on every other forum and even believes it is true.

He will come around ..... eventually.

You obviously are not sure. My first Gibson acoustic was purchased 6 months ago, I do have many Gibson electrics all bought in the last 15 years. Very good quality in that era, before that not so much. I had problems with electrics in the 1990's.

Quite possible JC, just saying that based on what im hearing in this video I dont hear satsifactory bass. And when i compare to the one rosewood version I sampled of the J-200 which was more powerful than an AJ.

EA,

I learned after reading about Santa Cruz guitars and Richard Hoover that Rosewood guitars aren't automatically "super bassy" that is just a myth that if you want a ton of bass get "Braz Rosewood".

What he said is the bass came from the way the wood was dimensioned.So maybe back in the 30's some Rosewood 200's has more bass than others.Obviously the adirondack and the bracing also play a part in that.

JC

Having bought 4 new Gibsons in the last 6 months I know of what I speak of. Having sent many e-mails to Gibson Acoustic directly I can assure you that they do in fact have hit or miss quality control. I don't have the time nor desire to get into every issue I have had with multiple guitars and my dealer has been fantastic with the problems I have had. It is not the dealer who is responsible for poor quality control, it is Gibson's. Even they agree about the frequent finish problems.

Pete,

Sorry for your bad experience.

If gibson has such bad quality how come you have purchased 4 within 6 months?

I am a lefty and have much more than just 4 gibsons.

All outstanding in quality.I have seen many at showrooms and been to the NAMM show twice have yet to encounter a bad gibson.

And I have looked really close and hard at finishes.

JC

mine says 1/30 on this inside. They all say this. As far as the bass, it's got a great bass response. It's not the biggest bass i've ever had, that would got to my Gibson Super 200 that I just sold. It had the biggest bass i've ever heard on a guitar, unfortunately, the rest of the guitar seemed muddy, which is why I went with the 38 Reissue. As far as price, I found someone on the Ebay that had an unplayed one, paid way less than $5k.

Hi pete.

I have the 2012 version, 75 pieces were made....

As I saw pictures and checked the spec sheet I just noticed 2 points that differ from the 2012 version:

- 2012 version features mystic rose insted of regular RW

- the pickguard coloration on sone "dots" are different. All dots on the 2012 version are white, on the 2016 version some dots are blue.

As I can tell the rest seems identical:

- adi top

- ebony fretboard and bridge

- grover imperial tuners

- bone saddle, bridge and pins....

Pretty much a hell of a guitar!

Is there something else you want to know?

Cheers

Ilja.

Is this the one you have? http://www.tradekorea.com/product/detail/P434742/Gibson-75th-Anniversary-1930s-Golden-Age-SJ-200-Rosewood-Acoustic-Guitar.html

Pete,

Sorry for your bad experience.

If gibson has such bad quality how come you have purchased 4 within 6 months?

I am a lefty and have much more than just 4 gibsons.

All outstanding in quality.I have seen many at showrooms and been to the NAMM show twice have yet to encounter a bad gibson.

And I have looked really close and hard at finishes.

JC

So are you blaming me for wanting to have hope in Gibson? Having the ability to return any guitars with problems is a great thing, I returned 2 and kept one that after contacting Gibson the issues were settled by them and myself, I was given a credit from the dealer for the problems. So it is just a matter of patiently separating the wheat from the chaff.

I suspect (strongly) that folks have been actively b!tching about Gibson QC since there have been Gibsons available for purchase. I've heard it all my life, and not just about Norlin era instruments. One thing that has also held true throughout my lifetime is that, once you get the company's attention, they're usually willing to work with you. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're a Gibson person you take it in stride. If not, you likely play another maker's brand. Nobody - no matter how much they complain - seems to offload their horrible Gibsons at dirt cheap prices😒

• 1 month later...

Watching the weather for next week. I plan on having my new 1938 SJ-200 shipped next day air. I bet it gets cold up there in those planes.

And short of purchasing a passenger seat, probably no way of avoiding that issue😌

It will be interesting to see what temperatures your guitar encountered on it’s trip- larger passenger aircraft typically have some heat provided below to the cargo hold, as quite often pets can be transported in this area, but cargo aircraft may have little if anything, and reduced insulation for weight reduction.

Buying long distance might open up a greater selection of guitars to chose from, but even with a decent return policy, the risk of shipping damage is always present. If you’re within range of their Bluetooth signal, D’Addario/Planet Waves’ Humiditrak notifies guitar keepers when temperature/humidity levels of guitars stored away in their cases are approaching levels that could cause damage. Possibly just as important, if your guitar is being shipped with the Humiditrak in the case, it can record not only those mins and maxes, but it will log impact data, down to the second, of the event for up to 21 days. Some shippers have options requiring signatures for each time the guitar box changes hands, and this, along with “before” video, could be invaluable in processing a damage claim.

Here’s the promotional video for the Humiditrak:

My concern always is shock.. Glue goes brittle at these temps. wood is just like glass.. if theres a endpin.. and it gets bumped .. always a concern here with cold weather.. ( this is where I get ticked on how the staff of shippers handle packages.. shock from dropping boxes or Mishandling..

if its UPS air .. it is heated in the cargo hold.. .. about 10 minutes on the ramp in the Uld.. into the warehouse.. on a conveyor to its postal or zip hold ,sits overnight in a trailer.( sometimes) . travels to another section of the warehouse , then to the conveyor to a truck for delivery..( the trailer it sits in is my concern.. ) usually out side.. till the next shift.

That humidity sensor is interesting. The guitar should be here around noon, for a total of 18 hours from door to door. The weather overnight was in the low 40's so I feel good about this. I am curious about the 3 1/2 hours it spent in a UPS plane though, that is where the meter will reveal the extremes. I found this link which surprised me. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-temperature-outside-of-an-airliner-at-cruising-altitude

The guitar came a bit early this time. I measured the boxes as I opened them, it has an outer box with some foam in between the Gibson box. There was a note saying to let the guitar acclimate. I measured 60 degrees as I was opening the boxes, not bad. Once I got down to the guitar case I measured again 60 degrees. Just to be safe I took the case to my garage which is now 48 degrees, I opened it quickly and took a measurement of the top, 59 degrees, wow that is pretty good. I opened it up again quickly to get my meter. It read 59 degrees and 40% humidity. It says that the maximum was 71 degrees and 65% humidity. The minimum was 52 degrees and 36% humidity. Not bad at all. I am glad I did this. I did have somewhat warm shipping conditions, but I imagine if it was a bit colder it still would have been okay to ship. I am going to leave the case in my house while I have lunch and then slowly open her up until it reaches 70 degrees.

I'm confused. you measured the historic high and low temp and humidity of the TOP of your new guitar, peeking in the case in the garage? I have a hygrometer/thermometer that measures those specs for the ambient air, and keeps a 24 hour history of the high and low, but I'm unclear on how you can measure retroactively to get highs and lows temp and humidity - and for the wood on a guitar itself. I know there are laser like instruments HVAC guys use to measure the temps of air vents, but I'm unaware of meters that measure the humidity of an inanimate object, and, again - that can create a history.

I'm thinking any readings you got of the air in the cartons, case and sound hole should be very close to each other - and more to the point - would be a function of those readings inside the bay of the delivery truck.

I'm confused. you measured the historic high and low temp and humidity of the TOP of your new guitar, peeking in the case in the garage? I have a hygrometer/thermometer that measures those specs for the ambient air, and keeps a 24 hour history of the high and low, but I'm unclear on how you can measure retroactively to get highs and lows temp and humidity - and for the wood on a guitar itself. I know there are laser like instruments HVAC guys use to measure the temps of air vents, but I'm unaware of meters that measure the humidity of an inanimate object, and, again - that can create a history.

I'm thinking any readings you got of the air in the cartons, case and sound hole should be very close to each other - and more to the point - would be a function of those readings inside the bay of the delivery truck.

I am confused why you are confused. One of these was shipped with the guitar. http://www.farmtek.c...roductId=722494 One of these was used to measure the guitar when it arrived here. http://www.homedepot...IR002/205509667

Archived