Gibson Brands Forums

2016 1938 SJ-200

Victory Pete

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi pete.

I have the 2012 version, 75 pieces were made....

As I saw pictures and checked the spec sheet I just noticed 2 points that differ from the 2012 version:

- 2012 version features mystic rose insted of regular RW

- the pickguard coloration on sone "dots" are different. All dots on the 2012 version are white, on the 2016 version some dots are blue.

As I can tell the rest seems identical:

- adi top

- ebony fretboard and bridge

- grover imperial tuners

- bone saddle, bridge and pins....

Pretty much a hell of a guitar!

Is there something else you want to know?

Cheers

Ilja.

Hi pete.

I have the 2012 version, 75 pieces were made....

As I saw pictures and checked the spec sheet I just noticed 2 points that differ from the 2012 version:

- 2012 version features mystic rose insted of regular RW

- the pickguard coloration on sone "dots" are different. All dots on the 2012 version are white, on the 2016 version some dots are blue.

As I can tell the rest seems identical:

- adi top

- ebony fretboard and bridge

- grover imperial tuners

- bone saddle, bridge and pins....

Pretty much a hell of a guitar!

Is there something else you want to know?

Cheers

Ilja.

Where did you see the specs for the 2016 model? Ebony fretboard and bridge?

Sry, my mistake....

2016 version has RW fingerboard and bridge, the 2012ths are made of ebony.

I just checked the clip from musiciansfriend of the 2016 version, the sunburst seems really to be a 3-tone sunburst while the burst is mine is a 2-tone which is in my opinion more old school....

This is exactly the guitar that I own:

http://www.session.de/music/blog/post/gibson-custom-shop-1930s-sj-200-golden-age-rosewood/

I have the 2016 1938 SJ200. It's fantastic guitar, i've been playing it all day today. Let me know if you have questions.

Does the Adirondack Spruce and Hide Glue make a difference? Can you post pictures? Does the label list the number in the sequence of 30 units? Are the nut and saddle bone?

Does the Adirondack Spruce and Hide Glue make a difference? Can you post pictures? Does the label list the number in the sequence of 30 units? Are the nut and saddle bone?

The Adi and Glue do make a difference.

The fact that they call it a 38 reissue is misleading because of the rosewood brige and fretboard...But you have to applaude gibson for refraining from using ebony .

From the video on youtube (musician's friend) I think it it a bone nut and saddle.

JC

Hi everyone,

I found one of this beauty and I'm seriously thinking about buying it. It wasn't initially in my budget but the sound is crazy, exactly what i'm looking for.

There my questions :

1) why isn't it in the official gibson website ? I found SJ200-standard, vintage and Bob Dylan edition in 2017 products.

2) as Victory Pete, i was wondering how identify the number in the sequence of 30 units because it's written 1/30 on the label but it would be crazy that's the first one.

3) the "la" string is buzzing on the third fret, the dealer should fix it in the next few days but i found a similar problem on SJ 200 ultimate vintage and standard in the shop. Do you think it can easily be fixed ?

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

I found one of this beauty and I'm seriously thinking about buying it. It wasn't initially in my budget but the sound is crazy, exactly what i'm looking for.

There my questions :

1) why isn't it in the official gibson website ? I found SJ200-standard, vintage and Bob Dylan edition in 2017 products.

2) as Victory Pete, i was wondering how identify the number in the sequence of 30 units because it's written 1/30 on the label but it would be crazy that's the first one.

3) the "la" string is buzzing on the third fret, the dealer should fix it in the next few days but i found a similar problem on SJ 200 ultimate vintage and standard in the shop. Do you think it can easily be fixed ?

Thanks,

Yes Gibson's website is very frustrating, it doesn't always have all the models they produce. They must all be labeled 1 of 30. As I have seen them all say that. Hopefully they can adjust the truss rod and fix the buzzing. Look at the finish very carefully, Gibson has terrible quality control. They produce guitars too fast these days. Good luck and keep us posted.

Is it just me or does this guitar have almost no bass coming from it ? I remember playing one J-200 Rosewood and it was an absolutely powerful beast. This one sounds pretty thin and not particularly impressive if Im really honest. Look great however.

JC

Yes Gibson's website is very frustrating, it doesn't always have all the models they produce. They must all be labeled 1 of 30. As I have seen them all say that. Hopefully they can adjust the truss rod and fix the buzzing. Look at the finish very carefully, Gibson has terrible quality control. They produce guitars too fast these days. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you for your advices. Effectively, I'll look at carefully the finish. The SJ 200 ultimate vintage I tried had it pickguard that was partially remouving... only a matter of glue apparently, nothing on the 1938 SJ 200.

According to you, what should I check first (finishing defaults, we usually find) ?

Price is 5000$ but I have nothing to compare since i cannot find it on gibson or dealer website, is it a correct price ?

Thank you for your advices. Effectively, I'll look at carefully the finish. The SJ 200 ultimate vintage I tried had it pickguard that was partially remouving... only a matter of glue apparently, nothing on the 1938 SJ 200.

According to you, what should I check first (finishing defaults, we usually find) ?

Price is 5000$ but I have nothing to compare since i cannot find it on gibson or dealer website, is it a correct price ?

The pickguard had lifted on my new Western Classic (early SJ-200). Gibson sent me a new one. Also there was considerable orange peel on the finish. I buffed that out myself. Apparently Gibson is using some secret new nitrocellulose lacquer that can be buffed in only 4 days compared to traditional lacquer that requires 3 weeks. This new lacquer is reacting with the adhesive on the pickguards. I cant believe they have not addressed this yet. Look very carefully in reflected light for an divots or impressions from improper buffing. The finish should be smooth and consistent. Other wise I see no defects at all in the actual construction. My saddle was too low on the high E side resulting in dead sounding treble strings. I had to make a new saddle myself. I would negotiate price with the dealer, there is always wiggle room. Can you post pictures of it from the dealers?

Huh?

Sorry man to say Gibson has terrible quality control is just not the right statement ...Bozeman is producing very good quality guitars.Sure every once in a while we see posts here about a guitar with some defect ...But that is very normal.Guitars are lively products which can sometimes react adversely to an environment .Some woods are more temperamental than others ...And this is true for any maker.

If you have had bad experiences with gibson acoustics maybe it is worth it to talk about the kind of dealer you visit or buy from.If Dealers sell a guitar with defects they mostly have not properly inspected the guitar well or have been negligent about returning it to the factory once a defect has been identified and let the consumer take the hit.

A guitar may come out perfect from the factory but may suffer in the shipping process due to many factors.So don't automatically assume it is gibson's fault ...

JC

Archived