Gibson Brands Forums

1977 les paul doublecut special

Guest clem skarzynski

Guest clem skarzynski

hello..need info on recently acquired 1977 Gibson Les Paul Special..2 tone sunburst..2 P-90's..with "Limited Edition"stamped on back of headstock above serial#..why is it a "limited edition"...ive seen others and none with that designation..this is only the 2nd sunburst ive seen/had since late 80's..is it the "sunburst"that makes it a "limited edition'?thanks..Clem Skarzynski

Guest clem skarzynski

Hello..

Yes. Probably the colour made it a ltd run... I think they usually came in heritage cherry or TV yellow.

Can you post a pic for us, id like to have a look at it.

yes I will ill have the guitar on Monday...Tuesday the latest and ill send along a picture...many thanks for your reply..i was quite curious about the "limited edition'stamp in the headstock...and as ive said this is only the 2nd one ive seen since early 80's in sunburst..and that one...owner had routed/installed humbuckers....ill be in touch Rabs,thx again

yes I will ill have the guitar on Monday...Tuesday the latest and ill send along a picture...many thanks for your reply..i was quite curious about the "limited edition'stamp in the headstock...and as ive said this is only the 2nd one ive seen since early 80's in sunburst..and that one...owner had routed/installed humbuckers....ill be in touch Rabs,thx again

Just quickly.. Is it a dark burst or like a cherry burst?

Does it look like this

http://www.gamlinsmusic.co.uk/musical-instruments/guitars/vintage-used-electric-guitars/item/used-les-paul-special-dc-ltd-edition-1977-sb-1726/

By the way.. to post images its best to upload them to an image hosting site first and then embed it by copying the link in to your post. Most of us use http://www.photobucket.com its free and easy to use. If you do use that copy the IMG link it gives you directly in to your post.

Guest clem skarzynski

Hello..

Yes. Probably the colour made it a ltd run... I think they usually came in heritage cherry or TV yellow.

rabs..ive seen the TV yellow as "limited edition"also..other feedback im getting locally is Gibson did that numerous times when they introduced new Models/Variations..and I do remember that being done as far back as the late 60's..and Gibson usually made the 1st months or year the "limited edition"run...as a new version/model..ans now as I speak to others in my age group[60's]..theyre in agreement..so,just something Gibson wanted to do from time to time when introducing a new model/line,etc..makes sense...your thoughts....

Guest clem skarzynski

Hello..

rabs..ive seen the TV yellow as "limited edition"also..other feedback im getting locally is Gibson did that numerous times when they introduced new Models/Variations..and I do remember that being done as far back as the late 60's..and Gibson usually made the 1st months or year the "limited edition"run...as a new version/model..ans now as I speak to others in my age group[60's]..theyre in agreement..so,just something Gibson wanted to do from time to time when introducing a new model/line,etc..makes sense...your thoughts....

Well the 70s was the infamous Norlin era... Some very fine examples of guitars according to some who own and have played them on here BUT sadly also a time of lots of very weird models and experimentation.... And also not quite as documented as the Henry (80s) era....

So its hard to say..

You could always mail pics and the serial number to Gibson Customer Service and see if they know, but as I say I think records from that time are a bit sketchy...

I will have another look around for you and see what I can find.

Maybe someone else will chime in who knows more than me (and there are plenty of them on here :))

Guest clem skarzynski

rabs...and all who have answered...general concensus is..Gibson has done the "limited edition"run sales pitch on numerous occasions for all models when announcing something new..a "marketing ploy"as other companies have done for other products...usually the first 6 months to a year and certain colors were marked "limited edition'and were done for 1-2-3 years..hey the bosses got together over morning coffee w/marketing execs and said..he lets make this run"limited edition"for awhile...seen it on explorers/lp's..etc..a general agreement among quite a few if not all ive contacted..but a "marketing toy"that worked....Clem S

Archived