Gibson Brands Forums

Substantial variations in the Burbon Burst on 2017 LP Standard HP

Macronaut

I preordered one of the 2017 LP Standard HPs in Bourbon Burst from Sweetwater and was told the ETA was likely to be in January, possibly December. Today I got an email with a link to one they were holding for me. Somehow it didn't thrill me as much as I thought it would, probably because I wanted a few to choose from since grain/color vary some. This one looked very similar to most of the pix I had seen. I told them I would call them back as I needed time to consider this particular one. When I called back and when I was confirming the serial number, they said "that's not the one we are holding for you" so, when they showed me the one that they actually were holding for me, I said "send that one without a doubt". This is more like the variation in color I was hoping for and will be delivered next week.

I can't wait to see what it looks like in person as the pictures are likely off a bit.

This is the actual one that's on the way and the one I am excited about.. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLPS17B8CH/sn170034943

This is the other one I almost got by mistake, which I was still ok with and looks like almost all of the photos I've seen... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLPS17B8CH/sn170034941

I suspect as 2017 rolls on, we will see more and more very nice variations in the Bourbon burst and also the Blueberry as well.

Sorry I do not know how to post the pictures so, I hope the links above will suffice.

The one you are getting is brighter by the looks of it (unless its the exposure camera setting).

Looking forward to your review. I dont think there have been any HP reviews here yet?

It should be excellent

I have been comparing both images side by side and the lighting of each is very different. I'm not sure how much effect it has, though I'm certain is does have something to do with the differences. The photo appears to be slightly over saturated too.

I will do what I can to share my thoughts about this LP once I spend some alone time with her [biggrin]

Seriously, it's all to do with lighting, camera settings, angles, etc, etc.

Haven't you ever tried to take pics of your own guitars?

The same guitar can go from horrible to spectacular just by adjusting the lighting.

Seriously, it's all to do with lighting, camera settings, angles, etc, etc.

Haven't you ever tried to take pics of your own guitars?

The same guitar can go from horrible to spectacular just by adjusting the lighting.

I agree, lighting has a significant influence on pictures (photography is my other hobby). However, I doubt lighting or post processing would make these two examples appear so different, they are very different regardless. To what degree is nearly impossible to tell in photos.

I have run across a few people that have purchased from the same company and they said the photos of their guitar were very close to what they received.

Bill

Something with taking or post-processing the pics of these two guitars must have gone quite different. In particular comparing pickguards, bindings and fret inlays reveals big variances in brightness, contrast and colour shadings.

I'm quite curious about how your chosen one may look finally!

Something with taking or post-processing the pics of these two guitars must have gone quite different. In particular comparing pickguards, bindings and fret inlays reveals big variances in brightness, contrast and colour shadings.

I'm quite curious about how your chosen one may look finally!

I did notice the differences in lighting. I would be happy(er), if it was in fact a little darker than the photo.

I'm very curious too. I will take photos once it arrives and process them to match as close as possible to the actual color. I should be able to get very close since my camera cost far more than this guitar.

... I will take photos once it arrives and process them to match as close as possible to the actual color. I should be able to get very close since my camera cost far more than this guitar.

Ah... You still don't get it.

Whether the pic is dark n dull or bright n sparkling, it is still an accurate representation... under THOSE lighting conditions.

It is still the same colour!

Ah... You still don't get it.

Whether the pic is dark n dull or bright n sparkling, it is still an accurate representation... under THOSE lighting conditions.

It is still the same colour!

I totally get it. I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying or I'm not being clear. When I have my guitar in hand and I take photos to share here, I will be certain that "I" post pix true to the actual color, because have seen some series that looked like 3 different guitars because of the way they were taken (and likely not adjusted) before posting for consistency from one picture to the next and that's pretty much it.

It's been said that Sweetwater's photos are pretty accurate representations. It's obvious in the photos that the lighting is different, though I know that it would make a "slight" difference in what we are seeing. I also know it's difficult to reproduce the glow and depth of the grain. And, even though the lighting is well diffused, what reflections there are may also contribute to average out what the eye perceives overall.

In the end, it doesn't matter, these two guitars are very different regardless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I noticed that too as I was looking at the ones they have online. There's some variation between them by serial number. I went to the store to pick mine out specifically and I'm happy with the look and finish. To me, it looked better than the ones I was seeing online at the time but that's my personal preference.

2017 Les Paul Standard T Bourbon Burst

2017BourbonBurst_zpsvsutj5hh.jpg

Archived