Gibson Brands Forums

Martin D 42 thoughts.

splake

Ok Boys, looking for opinions, prejudices,advice etc

I used to have a Martin HD 28 which I loved, but I traded for another down the line, because I am a very stupid, stupid man.

Last month I played a early 90's Martin D 42 that belonged to a friend of a friend and boys, THAT is my next guitar. I may have found a guy who will work out a trade with me, but I am on the fence.

I have never played a martin that was a "dog", although my framed of reference is very limited, and I suck so what do I know I guess, so that brings me to my question....

Anything, any years to avoid, I should be aware of when buying a used Martin, with the exception of the obvious? I know one should really play the guitar first, but again in this case that is not always possible.

Thoughts?

I used to have a Martin HD 28 which I loved, but I traded for another down the line, because I am a very stupid, stupid man.

Last month I played a early 90's Martin D 42 that belonged to a friend of a friend and boys, THAT is my next guitar.

I have never played a martin that was a "dog", although my framed of reference is very limited, and I suck so what do I know I guess, so that brings me to my question....

Anything, any years to avoid, I should be award of when buying a used Martin? I know one should really play the guitar first, but again in this case that is not always possible.

Thoughts?

You may want to post this in the acoustic section as well. You will get some excellent info there.

Good choice.. d41s are dogs.. d45 are expensive .. d42s are just right. I owns a few of each.. My preferance though is a OM 42.. or a OM 45.. not to bassy but lots of clarity..

To be honest here.. For the Money find a brazilian Franklin.. sandpoint guitar.. you wont regret it..

I own a few of those.. way better than a Martin any day..

Last month I played a early 90's Martin D 42 that belonged to a friend of a friend and boys, THAT is my next guitar. I may have found a guy who will work out a trade with me, but I am on the fence.

Anything, any years to avoid, I should be aware of when buying a used Martin, with the exception of the obvious? I know one should really play the guitar first, but again in this case that is not always possible.

Thoughts?

I saw one on Craigslist, beautiful git.

Archived