Gibson Brands Forums

Strings on an SG

slk

My two hardtail SGs are strung .011" - .050" and my two Maestro vibrato SGs .010" - .046", roundwounds with plain G3rd in all cases. No problems at all, just a thing of proper truss-rod adjustment.

By the way, before my string maker released .011s, I played their .012" - .054" with wound G3rd on all guitars including my then only SG for many years. This even included a Floyd Rose equipped Ibanez RG430.

They are not normal 09-42 strings. The SG comes with 09 -46s. I really like them the bass strings are heavy bottoms same as 10's but the 9s can really bend and hold sustain. Same strings 09-46 also came OEM with my Fort Knox Les Paul Guitar too!

I see that 9's come on the 2017 SG Standard T. Anyone ever use 10's or 11's ? Can the guitar take the heavier strings without any issues. I just don't like the thin 9's

Steve

I like to use 11s... I have them on both of my Gibson SGs and have no problems.

Many players who tune lower than standard will use heavier strings. And lots of players like the

lighter gauges, but not me. The guitar can handle any of them.

I like to use 10s on my Fender Telecaster. Maybe the longer scale goes better with the thinner gauge.

But there's no reason against trying different kinds of strings until you find a set that makes your guitar

happy, and it plays better and feels easy.

Lube your nut slots, and bridge saddles. A set of new strings is one of the best guitar mods there is.

Check your guitar's action after changing gauges. You can expect to re-do the intonation, and maybe adjust

the bridge height and the truss rod.

Another thumbs up for 11s. Both of my SGs are strung with them and they play fine. Heck, all of my electrics have 11s.

Heavy gauges are good for putting the look of disgust on a finesse player's face when you hand him your guitar ;)

Another thumbs up for 11s. Both of my SGs are strung with them and they play fine. Heck, all of my electrics have 11s.

Heavy gauges are good for putting the look of disgust on a finesse player's face when you hand him your guitar ;)

I like that. I have always used 11's, and have them on all of my other electrics, except for my 335, and that has 13's flatwound

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys I had a set of 10's lying around that were round wound and with out the wound 3rd string. They are much better than the 9's. Like night and day difference. I may try the flat wound 10's with the wound 3rd and see if there is much difference. I really have to say that there the guitar is much more enjoyable to play now.

Steve

Archived