Gibson Brands Forums

genuine les paul?

riccosuabe

hi there, i about to buy a 2012 mahogany satin les paul traditional and being a first time gibson buyer i just want to check if its legit? ive read up on a few things that stick out on copies and none of them are on this but i just thought id ask the experts here before i fork out the cash.

many thanks

post-82488-067859200 1480207230_thumb.jpg

post-82488-034892700 1480207372_thumb.jpg

post-82488-010762500 1480207503_thumb.jpg

Somewhat beat up for a 2012...did you notice the nut on the low E string...is that gunk or is it broken?

its been gigged a lot! but plays really well, its just gunk from what i see, im not so much bothered about having a bit of wear,i kinda like it haha its more on if the guitar is legit? the logo isnt slanted like most copies and the bridge is where it should be but im no expert

No worries on that one. There are at least five things which point to it being a Gibson.

It's very definitely genuine.

...did you notice the nut on the low E string...is that gunk or is it broken?

Looks like graphite used all across the nut-width as lubrication to me. Perhaps the nut could do with a bit of attention or perhaps it's a pre-emptive application?

The nut has been dressed-away at the peghead-end which is unusual but it might be that a previous owner used heavy-gauge strings and thought that a narrower nut would alleviate binding issues? Who knows.

BTW apart from the obvious chipping to the topmost rear of the peghead I think it looks in 'normal' condition wear-wise.

Pip.

Archived