Gibson Brands Forums

Whew, That Was Close!

Digger

Well I just gave myself a big fright!

All this talk about rabbits and a nice day saw me off down the side boundary heading for the back bit still creeping along when I was just about to place my foot down…..onto the back of a big red bellied black!

A small part of him was visible in the grass and the sun lit up his scales enough for me to notice him. I would have been bitten for sure if I’d trodden on him. I did a pirouette on one foot and went back the way I’d come with heart beating fast! I couldn’t have gone past him because of all the bush and didn’t feel like stepping into an area where I couldn’t see my legs under the circumstances. I slashed there about 2 weeks ago and the grass is 2’ high already. Not going down again with the grass that long. I judge the snake to be about 5' long.

Lost all enthusiasm for rabbiting for the moment!

https://en.wikipedia...ied_black_snake

Yikes! Makes me glad that the nastiest thing here might be ticks,, barring lymes disease, that's about as bad as it gets here. There are rattlers but a couple hours from here.

Glad you didn't pi$$ that venomous b!tch off Dig.

I do like snakes but not the poisonous wh0res. lol

Hey, what you doing with the rabbits? Cookin them up? I like me some bunny. It's been a while.

Yikes! Makes me glad that the nastiest thing here might be ticks,, barring lymes disease, that's about as bad as it gets here. There are rattlers but a couple hours from here.

Glad you didn't pi$$ that venomous b!tch off Dig.

I do like snakes but not the poisonous wh0res. lol

Hey, what you doing with the rabbits? Cookin them up? I like me some bunny. It's been a while.

Had too much rabbit when I was growing up after the war! We had rabbit every which way and I can't stomach it now. I toss 'em in the bush, keep the foxes from eating my chooks.

I kill them because they do so much damage here!

Mr Snake was just doing his own thing and I don't like killing red bellied blacks as they are a beautiful creatures and besides they eat the really bad ones!

Thanks for your kind comments all...shook me up a bit as I've never knowingly been that close before.

Glad you were able to do the pirouette!

High grass is not your friend when you have to watch your step. :unsure:

Keep on taking care of yourself, mate!

It's growing too fast for me to keep up, and I slashed it the week before last.

Tis the season Dig. My wife (thankfully) spotted a metre plus Brown at the bottom of the back stairs while I was away. Haven't caught it yet, hopefully it's moved on. Red-bellies are welcomed here in some ways, though the cane toads have wreaked havoc on their numbers, but you still don't want to run into them really. I saw a beautiful RBB in town last summer and warned the preschool it was headed towards - they didn't seem to be doing anything so I had to call out 'do you know how fast those things can move??!' Then they started rounding up the kids. :rolleyes:

Tis the season Dig. My wife (thankfully) spotted a metre plus Brown at the bottom of the back stairs while I was away. Haven't caught it yet, hopefully it's moved on. Red-bellies are welcomed here in some ways, though the cane toads have wreaked havoc on their numbers, but you still don't want to run into them really. I saw a beautiful RBB in town last summer and warned the preschool it was headed towards - they didn't seem to be doing anything so I had to call out 'do you know how fast those things can move??!' Then they started rounding up the kids. :rolleyes:

Yes there are reports in the media every day now about people getting bitten but seldom ever about deaths from snakebite.

I hate browns as they are so aggressive! One around the house would meet the business end of my 12 gauge if I had the chance. Tigers too, though they are beautiful animals and fortunately I've only seen one here.

Apparently the RBB eat the young of those other species so if there is such a thing as a good venomous snake it's our red bellied blacks!

Red Bellied Blacks are only a problem if you interfere with them or stand on them~

Wow be careful I would have Sh*t myself...not a snake person by any means

Even though my property has a lot of bush on it and I'm working outside a lot, I would only see one or two snakes a year here. It's just a matter of being aware that they are around and keeping your eyes open usually.

They are not a big issue.

The red-bellies are beautiful looking snakes and do help keep the Browns down by eating the baby ones, but we don't see them much anymore. We have a couple of 'devices' for dealing with Browns and are just in driving range for the hospital if needed :unsure:

Twice over the years past employers have sent me on 2 year assignments to New Zealand and it often gave me great pleasure to stride through the long grass saying 'don't try this at home kids!' [laugh]

The red-bellies are beautiful looking snakes and do help keep the Browns down by eating the baby ones, but we don't see them much anymore. We have a couple of 'devices' for dealing with Browns and are just in driving range for the hospital if needed :unsure:

Twice over the years past employers have sent me on 2 year assignments to New Zealand and it often gave me great pleasure to stride through the long grass saying 'don't try this at home kids!' [laugh]

My device for brown snakes is 12 gauge, a standoff weapon of choice for me as they are too fast to muck around with up close!

I say that and I have never shot one, though had a family with a lot if little ones here some years ago. The little buggers were getting into my worm farm and potted plants I was growing. I got down on my hands and knees to have a look at how my worms were going under a hessian sack one day and there was this little brown bugger rearing back about 2 feet from my face! I didn't think and grabbed a half brick that was holding the sack down and gave him a couple of whacks before I realised what a dangerous position I was in. The little ones have poor venom control and can be more dangerous than the mature snakes.

Another time I had 500 plants I was hardening up sitting out in front of the shed and lifted a couple up to check the roots....what is that? Is it a worm? NO ITS A BLOODY SNAKE!

I removed myself from there quick smart and presume Mr Snake did the same.

Oh the joys of living in the Antipodes~

Meant to say that maybe we should send a few Tassie black tigers to Kiwiland? I mean our possums have been such a big hit there haven't they?

Grin~

My device for brown snakes is 12 gauge, a standoff weapon of choice for me as they are too fast to muck around with up close!

I say that and I have never shot one, though had a family with a lot if little ones here some years ago. The little buggers were getting into my worm farm and potted plants I was growing. I got down on my hands and knees to have a look at how my worms were going under a hessian sack one day and there was this little brown bugger rearing back about 2 feet from my face! I didn't think and grabbed a half brick that was holding the sack down and gave him a couple of whacks before I realised what a dangerous position I was in. The little ones have poor venom control and can be more dangerous than the mature snakes.

Another time I had 500 plants I was hardening up sitting out in front of the shed and lifted a couple up to check the roots....what is that? Is it a worm? NO ITS A BLOODY SNAKE!

I removed myself from there quick smart and presume Mr Snake did the same.

Oh the joys of living in the Antipodes~

Meant to say that maybe we should send a few Tassie black tigers to Kiwiland? I mean our possums have been such a big hit there haven't they?

Grin~

You need to be careful me old cobber since you gone off the drop bear medicine. That would've diluted the venom to nothing more than a mozzie bite [biggrin]

TC

You need to be careful me old cobber since you gone off the drop bear medicine. That would've diluted the venom to nothing more than a mozzie bite [biggrin]

TC

Good to see you TC, But

i'd have to say that if the snake bit me he probably would have ended up crook, not me!

Grin~

So glad you didn't get bit. The sight wouldn't open for me so I looked them up on my cell ph. Nasty! First I hate snakes, don't bother them but very rarely ever see a harmless gartner snake. That and bull snakes. So a Red Bellied Black Snake native to eastern Australia is poisonous and it's venom is capable of causing significant morbidly. A bite from it is not generally fatal and less venomous than other Australian elapid snakes. Bet the bite would cause severe pain and a quick trip to the hospital. Out in the boon docks like you are I'd be wearing rubber boots up to my kness. Good backsteping Rob.

So glad you didn't get bit. The sight wouldn't open for me so I looked them up on my cell ph. Nasty! First I hate snakes, don't bother them but very rarely ever see a harmless gartner snake. That and bull snakes. So a Red Bellied Black Snake native to eastern Australia is poisonous and it's venom is capable of causing significant morbidly. A bite from it is not generally fatal and less venomous than other Australian elapid snakes. Bet the bite would cause severe pain and a quick trip to the hospital. Out in the boon docks like you are I'd be wearing rubber boots up to my kness. Good backsteping Rob.

Thanks Butch, I slashed the boundaries this morning and will try and keep it down so I have a better chance of seeing what's around me, and I'm going to find some army boots to wear when out on the property as they should afford me more protection than simple runners.

It's the time of year here, it's where most of the long-skinny slithering reptiles are in a place where the chill won't kill 'em. Mostly that means they ain't outdoors, but one must needs take care in a few areas around the ranch property or at stock shelters, etc.

That's even in town around here, but I'm betting folks are more likely to see a mountain lion up to the New Year 'stedda a rattler.

Rob... glad you didn't get bit. No matter the quality of medicines nowadays, it still ain't physically or mentally comfortable to get bitten.

m

Archived