Gibson Brands Forums

What the heck is this SG at GC?

Miguello

They have an SG at a local Guitar Center, but it's unlike ANY new Gibson SG I've ever seen. Logo on the headstock is gold/copper color, not abalone. The headstock itself is bizarre. No taper top to bottom. Completely vertical parallel sides, and super thin side to side.. The paint on the body looks horrible. Like home painted bad, by someone with little experience. Lots of woodgrain showing in the finish, maybe even a sanding scratch here and there. Finish is orange peeled as well. Black finish. It has an abnormal pick guard shape, and is two pieces with a pickguard under the knobs and output jack as well. It has all the trappings for a new guitar, headstock stickers, etc.

It's priced at $599? Never seen one of these before. Being sold as a new model, but looks like a home build from the 60's or early 70's jumped in a time machine. It's not on the website as far as I have seen?

Not exactly. It has two pickups, and four knobs IIRC? It also has a two piece pickguard , that has a break in it. About the point where the normal pickguard ends, it has another one covering the area around the knobs and output jack. The neck is bolt on as far as I remember, of course it has been a few days. I have no idea what it is, but it has a Gibson headstock logo, and is being sold as new. [confused]

Not exactly. It has two pickups, and four knobs IIRC? It also has a two piece pickguard , that has a break in it. About the point where the normal pickguard ends, it has another one covering the area around the knobs and output jack. The neck is bolt on as far as I remember, of course it has been a few days. I have no idea what it is, but it has a Gibson headstock logo, and is being sold as new. [confused]

Must be the Gibson SG Fusion that is new for 2017?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_sg_fusion_os.htm

Edit.. no sorry, that had 2 knobs (are you sure it had 4?)

Maybe this? This headstock is still tapered, though thinner. It's also has a one piece pickguard, where I am fairly certain the one in question has a two piece. Close though. Maybe I am remembering wrong, and this might be the exact model. I am not all that interested in buying it, but I just thought it was worth mentioning, since it is so far off the usual Gibson grid of showpiece quality guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2017-sg-fusion-electric-guitar/j45018000002000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPGL5ZPpydACFRBEfgodoMMGaQ&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^257596613515-sku^J45018000002000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Yea, think that's a "S" series SG. Double slug pickups (same as firebird zero), finish is so so... BUT... it's a new Gibson for $ 599.00. to me it seems to be a "fill the gap" guitar. So you have a epiphone SG special at $ 150-175.00 street, Epi G-310 at $ 250.00, G-400 at like $ 375. Then there is a big gap... warn SG or SG special's are like $ 799.00. so the "S" series looks like it fills the gap between epiphone SG's and Gibson warn SG's.

Archived