Gibson Brands Forums

Lost a friend this week-end

awel

I know it's a bit strange to say this here, but this week-end my almost 13 years old good old boy 'Skip' passed away.

He was not looking good last week and after blood analyses the vet told me he is suffering from the liver and the kidneys, he was refusing to eat for several days and after I let him for 24h at the vet to receive some perfusion with medicines, he came back home, he looked a bit better, but the next morning he was not even able to stand up, he was lying alone in the kitchen, he looked so tired.

I have taken the most difficult decision I had to in my whole life, so after my wife told him farewell, I drove to the vet ... crying all the way, talking to him, then he died in my arms, just telling him, how much I love him and how good he has been.

Now there is an empty space in my home but even more in my heart, I really think a part of me died this weekend.

8FB8C3F7-6E9B-45E0-9BE4-C4E9B311D4A1_zpsdihukwem.jpg

All my prayers to you and your family, awel.

So hard to lose your best friend, no matter what a good and long life they had.

We lost our dachshund Rudi over two years ago, and our wonderful Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix Chuck just last year.

Both so heart-breaking to lose, and doubly-so because we had to take that same long drive to the vets after their pain and infirmity had removed all quality of life for them.

We have three dogs in this happy home currently, and all fairly young.

So we keep our fingers crossed for good health and a long life.

:(

I know it's a bit strange to say this here, but this week-end my almost 13 years old good old boy 'Skip' passed away.

He was not looking good last week and after blood analyses the vet told me he is suffering from the liver and the kidneys, he was refusing to eat for several days and after I let him for 24h at the vet to receive some perfusion with medicines, he came back home, he looked a bit better, but the next morning he was not even able to stand up, he was lying alone in the kitchen, he looked so tired.

I have taken the most difficult decision I had to in my whole life, so after my wife told him farewell, I drove to the vet ... crying all the way, talking to him, then he died in my arms, just telling him, how much I love him and how good he has been.

Now there is an empty space in my home but even more in my heart, I really think a part of me died this weekend.

8FB8C3F7-6E9B-45E0-9BE4-C4E9B311D4A1_zpsdihukwem.jpg

So sorry for your loss, i had to do the same with my 20 year old cat a few years ago, was so brutally difficult. Sobbing for days on end, i kept thinking whats wrong with me, its just a freaking c Then my best friends father said no, that was your friend, the most loyal friend you ever had or will have.

So sorry for your loss. I as many on this forum have had to make the tough decision and it is not easy. Just remember the good times you had, and know that he is not hurting any more.

As tough as a decesion it was, just know in you heart and mind it was the best thing you could do for him. Our pets can not tell us when they are sick or hurting , and look to us to make what ever decesion it is that's best for them . They really do give uncontional love. Again, very sorry.

Great looking dog, and yes they are members of the family. So sorry to hear this, I know I am headed for the same thing as my dog just turned 13 this past week and I will tell you I will weep like a baby for a while. I love my dog as I am sure you loved Skip. Thoughts and prayers be with you Awel.

My heart goes out to you and the tremendous loss you have suffered!

You never forget them but the pain gets a little easier with time..

We waited 18 months after losing our beloved Jess (14 1/2 years old) and then got another Border Collie puppy who is now a constant companion, and best mate.

The joy of sharing your life with a dog is like no other, and I can't not have one.

Maybe you will feel the same in time.

I have tears in my eyes hearing your sad story and remembering the day we lost Jess.

What a beautiful lab. So sorry for your loss. Like many here I've been down that road to a couple of times to the vet. Thought I could handle it but lost control and cried like a baby. Never easy to have one put down in their sufferings or even if they go on their own. When I lost my champion Doberman I thought I never want another one. No dog could ever replace Bandit but the wife went out and bought a hound for our son. Swore I'd never have anything to do with it, then our son joined the Navy and I took care of Smokey from puppyhood till he died. Could not help fall in love with this dog from the beginning as he became my shadow, following me every place I went. Cried again when he went. Pets are like family and we treat them all like their our kids. Hopping you get over the pain and sorrow!

I would like to thank you all for your kind comments, that really means a lot for me in these hard times.

Some people will never understand how we can be so touched by the loss of a dog but these people are cold hearted, dogs shows us what true love is, they wait nothing in return except your love and care.

I know it will heal but right now my home seems so empty. When I eat, I still wants to put my hand with pieces of food under the table, but no ones there. As I feel the house empty I look at the windows-door and think I have seen his lovely face waiting to come in.

Tough time.

Right now I am not thinking about getting another dog, he won't replace 'Skip', I think I need some time to grieve.

Thanks again.

Take care of you

Archived