Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Edition SG Special-I Electric Guitar

ES335Pro

Anyone know the story on the Epiphone Limited Edition SG Special-I Electric Guitar? It's easy to find at Amazon and online shops however, I can't find it on Epiphone's site nor can I register it for the warranty. It's only $119.00 but it's fun to play and sounds pretty good.

Anyone know the story on the Epiphone Limited Edition SG Special-I Electric Guitar? It's easy to find at Amazon and online shops however, I can't find it on Epiphone's site nor can I register it for the warranty. It's only $119.00 but it's fun to play and sounds pretty good.

I like Epiphone guitars. I own two of them, and have worked on my Stepdaughter's Epi Les Paul Special ll (which has hum buckers).

The Les Paul Special l is available sometimes, and sometimes not. IMHO Epiphone may set up a limited run of these guitars, and then market them

and sell them, and not make any more for several years. They are intended for the 'beginner's" market, and are priced so that a pair of worrying

parents can buy one for their rebel son (or daughter) without breaking their bank account. Pro players can utilize the simplicity of this design to

make great music. IMHO a properly set up Epiphone is a much more useful guitar than a poorly setup Les Paul costing thousands.

The low price represents low quality parts and low quality wood... as well as lowly paid workers in China.

Here in the USA, we have the freedom to upgrade these guitars if we want to, and if we can afford to.

If we buy one, and play it as it is, we will get a serviceable instrument that gets the job done. There is nothing wrong

with doing just this. It's what's intended by the designers and builders.

If we decide to spend some money and effort upgrading one, we will get something entirely else.

I own two Epiphone guitars that I have modded extensively, and mine can take their place onstage next to instruments costing ten times

as much, and not give up a thing. *grins

I own an Epiphone Wilshire Pro, made in 2006 in Tsingtao

and an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro, made in 2014 in Tsingtao.

I am very fond of both of these, and love the tone and the feel of them. The Wilshire is a replica of an original Epiphone design, made in

Kalamazoo in the late 50s and early 60s. It's got an excellent '60s look and a very modern tone due to my upgrades.

My ES-339 P-90 pro is a replica of a Gibson design of this century, it's a semi-hollow guitar with P-90s. It's got great tone and feel, and

is one of my favorite guitars.

I like Epiphone guitars. I own two of them, and have worked on my Stepdaughter's Epi Les Paul Special ll (which has hum buckers).

The Les Paul Special l is available sometimes, and sometimes not. IMHO Epiphone may set up a limited run of these guitars, and then market them

and sell them, and not make any more for several years. They are intended for the 'beginner's" market, and are priced so that a pair of worrying

parents can buy one for their rebel son (or daughter) without breaking their bank account. Pro players can utilize the simplicity of this design to

make great music. IMHO a properly set up Epiphone is a much more useful guitar than a poorly setup Les Paul costing thousands.

The low price represents low quality parts and low quality wood... as well as lowly paid workers in China.

Here in the USA, we have the freedom to upgrade these guitars if we want to, and if we can afford to.

If we buy one, and play it as it is, we will get a serviceable instrument that gets the job done. There is nothing wrong

with doing just this. It's what's intended by the designers and builders.

If we decide to spend some money and effort upgrading one, we will get something entirely else.

I own two Epiphone guitars that I have modded extensively, and mine can take their place onstage next to instruments costing ten times

as much, and not give up a thing. *grins

I own an Epiphone Wilshire Pro, made in 2006 in Tsingtao

and an Epiphone ES-339 P-90 pro, made in 2014 in Tsingtao.

I am very fond of both of these, and love the tone and the feel of them. The Wilshire is a replica of an original Epiphone design, made in

Kalamazoo in the late 50s and early 60s. It's got an excellent '60s look and a very modern tone due to my upgrades.

My ES-339 P-90 pro is a replica of a Gibson design of this century, it's a semi-hollow guitar with P-90s. It's got great tone and feel, and

is one of my favorite guitars.

Thanks for the reply Col Mustard! Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. I appreciate your thoughts on it. I have another Epiphone that I bought last week that was delivered today. When I get home and unbox it, I'll post some photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived