Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Epiphone model #

tdlunsfo

Here is my dad's guitar. Both me and brother have learned on this thing and I can play this guitar better than any I have ever owned. I am not sure what it is.. Martin, Yamaha, Taylor, all have been tried and I can't come close to the comfort level. Naturally this is a pretty special guitar to my family and we would like to know more about it. What I know is that it was purchased from Amro music in Memphis, TN in 1986. Serial # is S127065. Seems it was made in Korea but can't verify that. It looks real close to a PR-715 but has the white binding around the head stock. It also looks like a PR-755 but doesn't have the gold hardware. Any ideas?

post-82806-015120900 1480382588_thumb.jpg

post-82806-087529900 1480382600_thumb.jpg

....we would like to know more about it. What I know is that it was purchased from Amro music in Memphis, TN in 1986. Serial # is S127065. Seems it was made in Korea but can't verify that.....

Welcome to the boards, tdlunsfo. Yes, the S in the serial number indicates the Samick factory in South Korea, but oddly, the number is "unrecognizable" by the epi dater. A photo of the inside label would help....

Well... I am looking at it and it sure looks like an S. There is a five there to compare it to and they are definitely different. S space 127065. To me the year isn't as important as the model #. I would just like to know what it is in case a ever see another one. Surprised the guitar dater doesn't include model #'s. I bet anything this was slated to be built in Japan (hence the stamp) and then shipped to Samick for assembly during the change over.

...I bet anything this was slated to be built in Japan (hence the stamp) and then shipped to Samick for assembly during the change over.

That could very well be. Through the years, the whole business has been pretty fluid. I expect this PR model is all laminate, so it's unlikely to ever be worth that much, beyond its value to your family....

Archived