Gibson Brands Forums

Your best value guitar?

AndyK

I'm sure lots of you will have much cheaper guitars, but this is my best value guitar: my 2013 SG Natural Burst (what burst?), which cost me £999. It has 57 Classic pickups, is beautifully slim and light, and a pretty good action.

sg_zpszq8gfxja.jpg

For me, my "best value" is the Fender American Special.............

101_1318_zpszof0dlbo.jpg

Really great bang for the buck.

Also, anything from the Charvel "model" series back in the day, and any of the Gibson Studio's in the worn/faded series. Those studios are affordable with the "lesser" finish, yet still a solid, well built guitar.

NHTom

I am sitting here pondering this.

For the guitar in question to be the best value guitar, it would have to deliver unexpected quality, pleasure, and sonic performance for a comparatively low (or at least remarkably-reasonable) price.

Quality: Fit, form, finish, sterling details, lack of blemishes or mars.

Pleasure: Joy at playing and performing with live and/or in solitude. Feels right in your hands.

Sonic performance: Incredible sound when plugged in, so remarkable that it turns heads.

Reasonable price: More affordable than one might think, given the demonstrated wonderfulness of all of the above.

I'm going to have to sit and ponder some more, guys.

I have quite a few guitars that marry-up very well with these stated metrics, and I don't want to rush to judgement.

:unsure: :mellow: [crying]

My best value guitar is my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus. Playability and tone make her a real Les Paul, series/parallel switching options add sonic versatility. Everything is stock except the Schaller Strap Locks:

IMG_0559_zpsjawq4wk2.jpg

IMG_0563_zpsmxx7r8dx.jpg

IMG_0564_zps8ejgqswb.jpg

Epi_Tribute_zps20497450.jpg

Another nod to Squier here.

Just picked up a cheap P bass which after some set up plays really nice. And I just put flats on it as well.

Plays great and sounds better than I expected.

The only reason I went and got this thing was because I had a real decent strat Squier. Same thing, after a bit of a set up played really great. Was inspired buy Dub's post and CB's posts on it to go look at it.

I can't imagine a better playing and sounding instrument for such little money.

My 2014 SG Standard. I bought the body/neck new from The Stratosphere for $550. I spent about the same building it up with high quality parts. I got exactly what I wanted for way less than buying a new SG. It has P-Rails in the photo, which have since been swapped out for Alnico II Pros with coil splits.

IMG_0654_zpsa84d6e99.jpg

My 2014 SG Standard. I bought the body/neck new from The Stratosphere for $550. I spent about the same building it up with high quality parts. I got exactly what I wanted for way less than buying a new SG. It has P-Rails in the photo, which have since been swapped out for Alnico II Pros with coil splits.

IMG_0654_zpsa84d6e99.jpg

Love that SG...

I've got many best value. ...

Mint Hamer Mirage..£625

Fender Modern player Strat (as new) £190 14519765_10210587499626636_6017226274585884233_n_zpsyypiweky.jpg.

...and my favourite..

Hamer Sunburst 1978. Owned by ex member of Jethro Tull. Got the original receipt etc. Almost mint. £900! Bargain. Easily as good as Gibson Custom shop. Note the one piece top.

ha6_zpsiamfgxbw.jpg

Then there are these.

Hamer xt. Korean.Mint £90

Lag Jet Plays superbly. £52!

Squire 51 £120.

Les Paul lite £470.

14657375_10210587499106623_1244452564863189401_n_zpsqt7luyqs.jpg

If you watch and search the bargains are there.I got a Boss ME70 for £35 not working. It cost me £9 to fix. Bargain.

Hofner J17 (no longer in production)

hct-j17-sb-f.jpg

Bought for £500 at Guitar Village (Farnham uk) 2 years ago.

It’s the one guitar that excited my luthier when saw it. Plays well and has a true Jazz voice as evidenced by this review vid review & demo

Ebony Fingerboard

Ebony Bridge

Ebony Pickguard

Ebony Tailpiece Cover

Spruce Top

Maple (flamed) Back & Sides

Without a doubt my '95 R0.

It has easily the best sound & the best feel of any guitar I've ever played. It follows that I get more pleasure playing it than from any guitar I've ever had in 40 years of playing. In every respect it has returned the best value-for-money by a long way(*).

It didn't even cost me very much all things considered...

Pip.

(*) I'm discounting the Squier Tele I was given gratis.

Without a doubt my '95 R0.

It has easily the best sound & the best feel of any guitar I've ever played. It follows that I get more pleasure playing it than from any guitar I've ever had in 40 years of playing. In every respect it has returned the best value-for-money by a long way(*).

It didn't even cost me very much all things considered...

Pip.

(*) I'm discounting the Squier Tele I was given gratis.

I played an aged Custom shop 59 two weeks ago and was surprised how good it was. The top was amazing and it actually felt like an old guitar.

An interesting post and subsequent thread.... [thumbup]

Of huge importance to anyone researching guitars for possible purchase...

Arguably many or most oriental builds exhibit high 'value for money...VFM'....generally coming in at 1/5th or so of an equivalent 'western build'.... :blink:

Then there are the more expensive guitars which may appreciate in value and tone over a number of years.... [thumbup]

Personal best value guitar is probably my Breedlove Passport 6 str acoustic...designed in the US and MIK.... [thumbup]

Robust build with excellent electrics....plugs in to any PA....shiny finish to delight the eye.... [biggrin]

Purchased new for the princely sum of £300.... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Archived