Gibson Brands Forums

How to adjust P90s on 1967 ES330 TD

Ed Pitts

I sure could use some help getting a proper setup on these pickups.

The height don't appear to be adjustable as the chrome housing fits flat against the guitar body.

So. that leaves me with the pole screws to adjust. when I found it the screws were out as far as possible.

Any help is welcome

IMG_20161202_155133575_HDR_zps4uxhdh3g.jpg

IMG_20161202_155259920_zpsc9ozqz8q.jpg

IMG_20161202_155219276_zpsrb0eknkl.jpg

IMG_20161202_155211666_HDR_zpsqjpc0nym.jpg

Hey, Ed! As the owner of a 1966 ES-330 TD, I can tell you that I also keep the bridge pickup pole pieces screwed almost all the way out. That helps the volume of both pickups to be the same. I've got the neck pole pieces all the way in. I thought about making a shim for the bridge pickup but, decided to keep it stock.

Maybe you could post a pic or two as I'm sure we'd all love to see your pawnshop find. I found mine in a pawnshop in about 1976 or so and have been in love ever since!

I'm interested to see what others have to say about this... Good Luck!

Hey, Ed! As the owner of a 1966 ES-330 TD, I can tell you that I also keep the bridge pickup pole pieces screwed almost all the way out. That helps the volume of both pickups to be the same. I've got the neck pole pieces all the way in. I thought about making a shim for the bridge pickup but, decided to keep it stock.

Maybe you could post a pic or two as I'm sure we'd all love to see your pawnshop find. I found mine in a pawnshop in about 1976 or so and have been in love ever since!

I'm interested to see what others have to say about this... Good Luck!

I posted a few pictures i put them in the original post.

THANKS

Thanks for posting those pics, Ed! What a beautiful guitar; she's perfect as far as I can tell! If you don't mind me asking, what'd you pay for her? I traded a Fenderburst '74 Tele even for mine... that guitar would be worth alot today but, I don't regret the trade one bit! ES-330's are very special guitars while Telecasters are uncommonly common... I hope you enjoy your prize!

I have much love for these guitars.....[thumbup]

I was initially fazed by the non-adjustability of P90's screwed directly on to the top....:blink:

Purely personal view....I have got used to the set-up with quite high string height above the pole pieces....I suppose it all depends on tones and styles of music played..

My ES330 has a shim for the bridge P/U which brings things up close and personal

My ES225 (which incidentally was the guitar superceded by the ES330 in the 60's) is a bit more crude in it's set-up but performs very well to taste....

V

:-({|=

Archived