Gibson Brands Forums

Newer Taylor 814ce vs. newer 714ce?

MartinL89

I've been GASing for one of the newer, redesigned Taylor 814ce guitars lately. I really love the tone and playability of it. I also see that the 714ce has also been revoiced as well. I like that the 714 has a little less bling, and a lower price. I can't seem to find one anywhere though. Anyone compare both of these newer designs? I'm wondering if the 714 could scratch the itch. Thanks.

1480477903[/url]' post='1815901']

I've been GASing for one of the newer, redesigned Taylor 814ce guitars lately. I really love the tone and playability of it. I also see that the 714ce has also been revoiced as well. I like that the 714 has a little less bling, and a lower price. I can't seem to find one anywhere though. Anyone compare both of these newer designs? I'm wondering if the 714 could scratch the itch. Thanks.

Ask this over at the AGF and you will get plenty of answers. You are not likely to get many helpful answers about Taylors on a Gibson forum. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Or, an SJ. Edit: Kidding aside, MartinL89. I bought an 814 yrs ago just to have a Taylor around . True, not the redesign. Never felt like a real guitar to me and just rests in the case now days. If Taylor is your choice why not go to the top rung?

• Upvote 1

Hay MartinL89

I had 2 Taylors , 6 Gibsons And 1Martin .......I still have every one of the Gibsons and my J40 Martin . All the Taylors are gone.

Taylors never sounded like a tree coming alive to my ears Taylors always seemed to be like a voice on auto tune.........some people like auto tune ......🤐Jmho

I don't have a particular opinion of either of these guitars although I have played them. Only Taylor I have is a GS Mini-e which, along with a Yamaha THR 5A in order to annoy others, I throw in the car when I go traveling.

Many fine guitarists play Taylors, even Tommy Emmanuel who I saw use one for a performance a few years ago and he usually plays Matons (and lots of "experts" have opinions on those!)

My view is the opinions of others don't matter a damn. The only opinion which has any value is yours. It's what suits you and nobody else. Your money, your choice and whatever you decide be happy with the outcome, play the bloody thing and enjoy it.

Glad to hear your confession. The first step in a 12 Fret program is the most difficult.

All kidding aside, a few years ago I did the same. I had a J45 Custom RW that was a dud. I could not imagine selling it to someone. GC was running one of their trade-in specials and the 814ce was the best thing I could find in the store. I've had a 314ceLTD that I wore out years ago then I had one of the koa C2 Custom. I think they're easy to play and sound good plugged in but unplugged I still grab a Gibson or Martin. There's room for all brands in my herd.

My 12 fret program is my Martin 000-17sm! :)

Are the newer designed Taylors by Andy Powers improvements over the prior Taylors? I've read about him, but never tried one of his newer Taylor's. Any opinions?

Have not been a Taylor fan, but am open if they are now better, less sterile, than they were.

Or is it all just still empty hype?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Are the newer designed Taylors by Andy Powers improvements over the prior Taylors? I've read about him, but never tried one of his newer Taylor's. Any opinions?

Have not been a Taylor fan, but am open if they are now better, less sterile, than they were.

Or is it all just still empty hype?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Since Bob Taylor handed over the redesign of the various Taylor lines, starting with the 800 series, I've noticed marked improvement in sound. I had played many pre-Powers 800 series Taylors and they were okay but none of them turned my head like the new Powers 814ce. The thinner finish, the slanted back bracing, the new purfling, the striped rosewood fretboard and rosewood pickguard. I'm not sure what combination of changes created the new, full, balanced sound, but, to my ear, it sounded better than my Songwriter, so I bought it.

I read some articles about Powers and he seemed more pro-Gibson, pro-Martin than pro-Taylor from what I can tell. Or, at least that's the impression I got regarding the direction he was hoping to take Taylors under his control (provided he actually has the control he needs.).

Time and the instruments will tell.

Thanks for the reply.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Strange.

A 'newbie' joins the forum and on that same day posts a question about acquiring a Taylor, asking for input on two Taylor models.

After nearly 2 dozen replies in 2 weeks, he has yet to acknowledge any of the responses.

And, the final irony, the Mystery Guest's sign-in name is derived from another non-Gibson brand, Martin.

Draw your own conclusions - if you think any further serious comments are worth your time, research, thinking, and typing (or 'finger skin' as BBG calls it.)

• 4 years later...
On 11/30/2016 at 10:51 AM, MartinL89 said:

I've been GASing for one of the newer, redesigned Taylor 814ce guitars lately. I really love the guitar tone and playability of it. I also see that the 714ce has also been revoiced as well. I like that the 714 has a little less bling, and a lower price. I can't seem to find one anywhere though. Anyone compare both of these newer designs? I'm wondering if the 714 could scratch the itch. Thanks.

I have tried both. After trying the 814 I loved the sound, but like you, preferred the look of the 714. Unfortunately I don't think it beats / rivals the 814 sound.