Gibson Brands Forums

Changing the electronics in IB 64 Texan

Pete-

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has installed the LR Baggs Lyric in their guitar and if so how they have found it? I love the sound of my Texan when I mic it up but those tones vanish when i plug into a PA system. The shadow nanoflex is not a bad system but the piezo sound is what it is. I'm thinking of getting a zoom A3 to help in live situations but i don't know how much that will reduce the piezo quack and the aura is priced ridiculously so isn't an option. Any experiences with the lyric would be greatly appreciated. Obviously it won't be the same as a mic in front of the guitar but i do wonder if it is worth the upgrade. If anyone has an opinion on the A3 that would also be nice to hear.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has installed the LR Baggs Lyric in their guitar and if so how they have found it? I love the sound of my Texan when I mic it up but those tones vanish when i plug into a PA system. The shadow nanoflex is not a bad system but the piezo sound is what it is. I'm thinking of getting a zoom A3 to help in live situations but i don't know how much that will reduce the piezo quack and the aura is priced ridiculously so isn't an option. Any experiences with the lyric would be greatly appreciated. Obviously it won't be the same as a mic in front of the guitar but i do wonder if it is worth the upgrade. If anyone has an opinion on the A3 that would also be nice to hear.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

It's not the piezo per se in my opinion, it's the very cost-efficient Shadow Nanoflex that simply sounds cheap and is also highly susceptible to malfunction.

I'm a fan of the LR Baggs Anthem that the J-200 usually comes equipped with, but it's a rather pricey one. I have never seen or heard the Lyric mic in action (is it new?), so I have no idea how it performs; not a particular fan of the Element (J-45) either.

If it were possible, I'd install an Ovation pick up and preamp (OP Pro Studio or an old OP24+) any time on an all-wood guitar, but I've never seen it done before.

No it isn't new. It's been around at least 3 or 4 years and there are some decent clips of it on youtube being compared to the kk mini and others. It seems to get mixed reviews in live settings which is what i want it for so i was hoping for some more thoughts on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had good luck with the Fishman Infinity Matrix under-saddle pickup. I have put them in four Epiphone 70's guitars (FT-135, FT-165 12 string, 6832, and 6732) with great live results. They have both a vol and tone control. Cost is $145 plus installation.

http://www.fishman.com/products/series/matrix/matrix-infinity-pickup-amp-system/

Archived