Gibson Brands Forums

Trolls?

Buc McMaster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see and appreciate your alertness - it's often a good idea now and again to look up and be awake in cosy company.

But I think the answer is no.

. . . . . . . . . Always watch out for the shadow of the eagle

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .E-minor7

No paranoia here...........just paying attention.

Why would a brand new member, still with only one post, start a Taylor thread on a Gibson acoustic forum? Hmmmm........let's see......uh.......to be annoying, perhaps? Any other purpose come to mind?

Let's face it; trolls own the internet.

Not much different than long time members from other Gibson forums that do not own or like Gibson acoustic that occasional drop in to stir the pot and spew their opinions why their choice of acoustics are far superior.

I have a couple of these members blocked but unfortunately some of our members insist on copying another's entire quote in their response which shows me the comments that I have blocked. I believe their nasty, antagonistic attitude probably scares off some Newbies.

Good thing I'm not a moderator. There would be a little house cleaning.

Seems there's a rash of weird threads lately from new members with one or two posts......... The woody-smelling Martin, the Taylor "this one or that one" post, the headstock lacquer bubble. Are we under attack?

No, we're not. These topics don't seem weird to me.

I take it Dave that you meant 'other guitar forums' not 'other Gibson forums' ??

I meant other Gibson forums such as Gibson USA, The Gibson Lounge, and so on. There's one member in particular that lurks on the Les Paul lounge that constantly bashes Gibson Acoustic. I've seen him pull new members in on arguments that were ridiculous. I've PM'd these Newbies when I see it and explain the traps this guy pulls them into and ensure them that his is not the norm around here and they should just ignore him and he will go away.

Which post is the "this one or that one" you are referring to? If you mean my "choices" post. I wanted opinions on the small body guitars. What I heard was that folks like the LG-02. That backed up info from other sources. I've never had a small body. Pretty much dreads for thirty years. I recently got a Jumbo and liked the new dimension. Thought I'd try the small end of the scale.

Why would a brand new member, still with only one post, start a Taylor thread on a Gibson acoustic forum? Hmmmm........let's see......uh.......to be annoying, perhaps? Any other purpose come to mind?

Taylors are acoustic guitars for people who don't like acoustic guitars.

cuz he's trying to show you he's a brave man, one with balls of steel....

I hadn't read those 2 threads before. If they are trolls then at least they are of the humorous variety rather than the more odious kind. I don't mind the weird/funny trolls - you can learn quite a bit about 'regulars' from how they respond to them. I do however dislike the pack mentality to 'run this guy outta town' so it was nice to see those threads dealt with decently. [thumbup] (IMO - as a Gibson Lounge interloper)

Seems there's a rash of weird threads lately from new members with one or two posts......... The woody-smelling Martin, the Taylor "this one or that one" post, the headstock lacquer bubble. Are we under attack?

The newb Taylor this or that was an obviously out of place, trolling thread. Some good 'blow off' comments there.. [-(

The woody-smell thread is a bit odd at first glance. OTOH I have a coupla guitars that can provide aroma therapy. But then there's Sal pointing out the poster milked 5 pages out of the topic on the AGF. Now that smells like a fish that's been sitting out in the sun too long. . [glare]

The headstock finish delam is a legit thread IMO. Over the years I've seen the topic come up many times and I commented on this one with pics. . :-k

For me, that's one troll, one guy making the rounds to more than one forum, and one legit thread. So no, not under attack. . [-o<

Archived