Gibson Brands Forums

Questionable listing

I have been in search of a Gibson MII Deluxe (Black),. I came across this ebay listing: 1994 Gibson MIII I was close to making an offer until I found the same listing (on accident with google search) at Guitars of China. I questioned the seller and they said it was 100% USA. Check the serial number. I did. If I am not mistaken 94018820 was built in 1998 And I believe MIII's were 1991-1996.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion? If it is counterfeit I will report it to ebay of it's not, I'd like to have it.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to this nice place in the web. [thumbup]

If she was built in 1998, it had to be the 401st day of the year. That's impossible. She would be a 1994 build. Quoted from: http://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search.aspx/

"Those beginning with "94":

In 1994, Gibson's Centennial year, many instruments have a serial number that begins with "94" for the year, with the remaining 6 digits indicating the ranking number."

In my opinion she's authentic, but I'm wondering what happened to the headstock. I also would be interested in the condition of the neck's back. The text says "Body is near mint." Considering the price I would want that to be the condition of the entire guitar, not just the body. :-k

Archived