Gibson Brands Forums

Fair Price? How much is too much?

Jase81

I start this topic with saying that you would have to read my Introduction to understand how I came to love Epiphones. I am about to tell you about my first Epiphone that I have now purchased, but I have had experience with them ever since I was a child.

Picked up my first Epiphone a week ago, and I decided on a Masterbilt. This particular Masterbilt was used because I just fell in love with it at first sight, and figured why not save some $$. I am very particular with anything that I purchased used, but the listing on GC stated the guitar to be in Excellent Condition, and the Rep at the particular store that this guitar was in said there was not a mark that he could tell me about. So, with a 45 days return policy I took the plunge and purchased. When it arrived, boy was I ecstatic. This guitar looks and sounds gorgeous. The guitar is done in Natural Satin(NS) and has an almost matte feel to it...I love it. The abalone that borders this guitar front, back, and sides is beautiful as well. I have posted some pictures to see what you guys think. There's just one question in the back of my mind...did I pay too much for a used guitar. I understand that there really is not a set rule of thumb when it comes to used guitars. I mean not with Epiphones anyway. And I know a lot of it comes down to preference...is the guitar everything you want, and do you have the money, if yes then buy, if no then don't. I also know that if this was a Gibson Acoustic, one would most likely feel safe in knowing that they don't lose a lot of their value, and maybe even increase with value depending on how prominent or rare it is. I'm not really sure if this is true when it comes to Epiphones. I have def. seen some Epiphones from the 60's and earlier that are worth some big bucks, but not really sure you can say that about any Epiphones that have been made lets say within the last 15 to 20 years, or maybe any Epiphones made since the 60's? I know that this particular Acoustic is out of production, and from what I have researched, very difficult to find with the bordering Abalone. As a matter of fact, when I saw this one listed, I searched everywhere I know to look and could not find one other DR-500ANS. Now whether this means anything or not, I'm not sure. So my question is, how much is too much when it comes to a used Acoustic Epiphone? If you saw this used guitar, and it fit your needs and taste, how much would you have been willing to pay?

post-82542-037878100 1480703953_thumb.jpg

post-82542-086842900 1480703960_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your RANS and welcome to the boards!

If you saw this used guitar, and it fit your needs and taste, how much would you have been willing to pay?

Yeah, it's hard to research price when the model is so rare that ebay's completed listings has no examples. I see one very good condition EF500RANS in the last month or so that sold for $560. That's a pretty good price and not too different from a DR. I don't think anything in the mid-$600s would be outragous to pay for one of these beauties in excellent condition. And I have. Over $700 is starting to be pretty high. What year is that? What's the first few letters/numbers in the serial number?

My first Masterbilt was an EF500MNS that I got from a GC in another state. (A forum member tipped me off, and I took the plunge!) It was like $450, in perfect shape. I still have it. Great guitar!

Congrats on your RANS and welcome to the boards!

Yeah, it's hard to research price when the model is so rare that ebay's completed listings has no examples. I see one very good condition EF500RANS in the last month or so that sold for $560. That's a pretty good price and not too different from a DR. I don't think anything in the mid-$600s would be outragous to pay for one of these beauties in excellent condition. And I have. Over $700 is starting to be pretty high. What year is that? What's the first few letters/numbers in the serial number?

My first Masterbilt was an EF500MNS that I got from a GC in another state. (A forum member tipped me off, and I took the plunge!) It was like $450, in perfect shape. I still have it. Great guitar!

Thanks for the reply. That is the exact price I paid for my Masterbilt from GC. All in including tax and some new TUSQ bridge pins...$500. I was just curious because from what I can tell the DR, EF, and AJ Masterbilts go for about $650 brand new. So wasn't sure if paying $500 was too much for what I believe is a 10-12 year old Epiphone...if you believe what you read on EpiphoneWiki.

Hi Jase and welcome....[thumbup]

Good advice so far from the 'cognoscenti'......:blink:

Epi's of most types are very popular and great VFM....often discussed at length on these forums

As is well known, back in the 60's Epi's were made in the US alongside Gibsons and badged accordingly

Many oriental built guitars nowadays are of excellent quality and can mature in tone with age...[thumbup]

IMO and probably many others too....they will never possess the 'cachet' of an American built instrument.

V

:-({|=

All in including tax and some new TUSQ bridge pins...$500.

That's a great price for an excellent condition RANS!

I was just curious because from what I can tell the DR, EF, and AJ Masterbilts go for about $650 brand new.

Yours is from the 2004-2010 production run, none of which have cutaways. The Masterbilts that came after that are fairly different since they all have cutaways, and I think all have electronics. I like the non-cutaways, but miss the electronics.

That's a great price for an excellent condition RANS!

Yours is from the 2004-2010 production run, none of which have cutaways. The Masterbilts that came after that are fairly different since they all have cutaways, and I think all have electronics. I like the non-cutaways, but miss the electronics.

Thats interesting about which production years came in strait Dreadnoughts and which ones came with Cut Aways. But it does look like Epiphone has a Masterbilt on their website that is a Dreadnought without a CE...AJ-45ME.

Persoally I like any guitar that's a beauty regardless of CE or not. Don't have a partial preference. And I was a little hesitant when I saw that this guitar did not come with built in electronics. Thats why the Dove Pro is on my list for Xmas...two beautiful Epiphones in one month :D =D>

...But it does look like Epiphone has a Masterbilt on their website that is a Dreadnought without a CE...AJ-45ME.

Of course - the exception! It's not a 500, though....

...two beautiful Epiphones in one month :D eusa_clap.gif

I love when that happens. msp_thumbup.gif

For an acoustic I would say older is better because the sound will have opened up more. Looks in great condition - I'd say you got a great deal

Definitely agree on the sound, especially since the Masterbilts are solid wood. Just not sure if Epiphones hold their value like other brands out there.

Hi Jase and welcome....[thumbup]

Good advice so far from the 'cognoscenti'......:blink:

Epi's of most types are very popular and great VFM....often discussed at length on these forums

As is well known, back in the 60's Epi's were made in the US alongside Gibsons and badged accordingly

Many oriental built guitars nowadays are of excellent quality and can mature in tone with age...[thumbup]

IMO and probably many others too....they will never possess the 'cachet' of an American built instrument.

V

:-({|=

Thanks for the welcome [biggrin]

Yes, I definitely would not expect that any later generation Epiphones made anywhere but USA would hold the same status as those that were, and are made in the USA. This was certainly one of the reasons I was thinking that maybe paying close to retail price for a guitar that could be as old as 12 years, may be too much.

Thanks for the reply. That is the exact price I paid for my Masterbilt from GC. All in including tax and some new TUSQ bridge pins...$500. I was just curious because from what I can tell the DR, EF, and AJ Masterbilts go for about $650 brand new. So wasn't sure if paying $500 was too much for what I believe is a 10-12 year old Epiphone...if you believe what you read on EpiphoneWiki.

You did well. I would have paid that much for that guitar in excellent condition (if I needed another Masterbilt..which I don't..lol). I recommend always looking for the early Masterbilts first, for me these are the most desirable.

You did well. I would have paid that much for that guitar in excellent condition (if I needed another Masterbilt..which I don't..lol). I recommend always looking for the early Masterbilts first, for me these are the most desirable.

This seems to be the overall consensus so far =D> And boy am I glad [-o< because I did not want to have to return!!

Archived