Gibson Brands Forums

Cargill Guitar at 4 Weeks Old!

BluesKing777

I was picking the Cargill for a while earlier and thought I should record it.

I just can't believe it is only 3 - 4 weeks old - the bass notes are opening out beautifully and the trebles probably need a bit more work, but all in all, stunning. I am not sure if this is the guitar's 'permanent' sound or not, probably close? Most new guitars you buy are older than we think, produced, stored, shipped, sales, played, bought! And I just don't remember what the other models I played were like, except I wanted one!

I played notes all over the neck to show their sound, think I got most of 'em! :rolleyes:

(Mic - Neumann KM184 - no reverb or effects - mixer - iMac).

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/blues2

BluesKing777.

Edit: Forgot a photo - here is the Italian Spruce top - dreamy!

Cargill01c_zpse4ffangv.jpg

Love is a beautiful thing....

But we know what will happen the next time a beat-up 70-year-old Gibson passes in front of your eyes.

Cargill? What Cargill?

You're a fickle beast, BK

I just love all of them, Nick!

I owned and played the worst chitboxes most of my life. The only worse guitar I have ever played than mine then, was a friend's Yammy dogbox with fingerbleed action and strings about 25 years old. (He is supposed to be dropping around later to try the Cargill - little treat for him, eh?)

Would I do the 70 Y.O Gibson again? It's the new leather shoes hurting the feet versus the hole in the sole (soul?)!

Put a little dent in the Cargill with the music stand and wiped the top with some grit on the rag. Might as well sell it! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

I don't know, I think your Cargill has many years of continuing to mature and get even better. I found what E-minor7 said in this posting,

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/133383-breaking-in-new-gibson-acoustics/page__st__20

to be right on. So you have many years of pleasant surprises, lots of smiles, and self congratulations on this acquisition yet to go.

Thanks!

It needs some training!

And it is still looking for its feet. And changes with the weather, which is hourly in this place! <_<

I picked it up for a strum just as the Better Half put the washing seemingly through a Marshall and as a screaming war erupted on 2 - 3 fronts next door and.......shut the door and went through the melody lines in the Blues Real Book to infuse notes into the guitar hopefully and then a few more melody lines form Mel Bays Country Classics or something horrible I bought because it had a nice acoustic on the front cover. This works - like slow motion Tonerite infusing and vibrating the guitar top. Next, gulp, the FINGERPICKS again.... :rolleyes:

BluesKing777.

Well, it is a few days later and the guitar is almost four weeks old, tomorrow.

I played a whole range of my guitars in the last 24 hours - I just couldn't settle. We had the usual wild weather extremes and I end up playing the impervious National Tricone and metal Dobro in those weathers.

And then back to the Cargill just before and it is a way different sounding guitar than the recording from a few days ago. Just bizarre. I played exactly the same couple of instrumentals on my J45, OM18V, OM28Mq and then the Cargill. It has the sound I wanted!

It probably should too - the luthier has seen me play a lot, poor man, and I am loving the neck he gave me as well as the sound. (1 3/4" nut and 2 3/8" bridge spacing, but he has given the fretboard more radius than any I mentioned above, and fuller cheeks. The much loved OM18V felt like a big flat board comparatively.

No naughty teenager guitar today - beautiful and mellow guitar made to measure! A unique experience! And funny enough, it is great for blues fingerpicking!

BluesKing777.

Archived