Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson Les Paul Custom

MarlleyB

I bought a gibson les paul custom on sweetwater last year. I used it a bit so the pickup covers and bridge (which are gold) are fading. was it a right choice for me to use the guitar? or should i have kept it as a collectors item and not used it much?

Guest Farnsbarns

I bought a gibson les paul custom on sweetwater last year. I used it a bit so the pickup covers and bridge (which are gold) are fading. was it a right choice for me to use the guitar? or should i have kept it as a collectors item and not used it much?

It's a guitar and will almost certainly never be a collector's item. Of course you should play it. Gold hardware always fades and rubs off. Just play it like you stole it and forget about the signs of use, completely unavoidable.

It may be valuable but it still only has one purpose. It would be a waste not to use it.

It's a guitar and will almost certainly never be a collector's item. Of course you should play it. Gold hardware always fades and rubs off. Just play it like you stole it and forget about the signs of use, completely unavoidable.

^^^ this. all day long!

besides, a guitar that is well used, and shows honest wear is cool, unlike all those people who pay ridiculous money for relic'd strats and such. >not that there's anything wrong with that< [flapper]

I have Afew fairly rare les Paul customs,, and the most recent a Th 57 black beauty.. and while playing it in the store I was telling my old man I'll most likely play it less than my others as it's so incredibly perfect in every way and very expensive,,, a old guy watching me play interrupted an said why not play it as much as possible,, knowone buys a 50k truck an says I'm gonna park it in the garage an barely drive it.. well he was right, it's just a guitar so play it as much as possible and enjoy every bit of it!!

I carry a guitar cloth everywhere I go. I have the ones that came with my Rickenbacker, Gibsons, and Fenders. I'm that guy that wipes everything down between songs whenever I get the chance. Keeps my hardware and finishes looking very much like new. I get more time out of my strings, and I don't have rub marks on my guitars. I also tend to wipe the sweat off my hands and forearms constantly with a regular towel.

I'm with the other guys though, the wear marks are a sign of use. These aren't museum pieces, they are instruments, and like a screw driver or drill, they won't stay new for long. We give them dings and dents along the way. Heck, people pay extra for "relic" guitars and those are wear marks those people don't even make!

Keep on Rocking!

Archived