Gibson Brands Forums

stump to thump time frame

jvi

Time depends on whether the timber is air dried, kiln dried, or a combination of both. Not sure what the ideal moisture content is for the wood for guitars, but Bozeman is probably a pretty good place to build, with fairly low average yearly humidity.

Time depends on whether the timber is air dried, kiln dried, or a combination of both. Not sure what the ideal moisture content is for the wood for guitars, but Bozeman is probably a pretty good place to build, with fairly low average yearly humidity.

👍

I have visited the plant a number of times and see racks and racks of sticked wood varieties - rather than "time" I think they use some sort of meter that measures the moisture content in the wood.

The wood stored in the Bozeman plant is a small stock for immediate consumption as far as I can tell. There simply wasn't enough space. When Jeremy took me on a personal tour (yes, just me and my wife!) I asked about where all the lumber was and he was a little evasive, but it was clear the majority of the wood stock was not on the premises.

Wood comes from folks who source it and is sold by brokers and dealers. I know one fellow who makes the occasional guitar but really was a wood dealer/broker. The companies work with these guys to acquire wood and occasionally will stockpile some special wood for limited runs. They buy wood like a restaurant buys food. That is why there are occasional fluctuations in models and all of the "special" runs. They are a value added to a line or a way to generate interest in a model that may not be selling well or just a way to keep people coming back to their brand.

The wood stored in the Bozeman plant is a small stock for immediate consumption as far as I can tell. There simply wasn't enough space. When Jeremy took me on a personal tour (yes, just me and my wife!) I asked about where all the lumber was and he was a little evasive, but it was clear the majority of the wood stock was not on the premises.

Wood, being the main ingredient, when you've been raided by the Fish & Wildlife Nazis, and had major portions of your inventory seized - it is understandable that you might want to keep your raw inventory in an undisclosed location. Maybe even have a separate company buy and own it. Many here remember the dramatic results of the Feds rain on Gibson, and the results of having all their Rosewood impounded. While some felt the raid was justified, I think most felt it was not. Regardless - you have to do whatever you can legally, to protect your stuff.

Regardless - you have to do whatever you can legally, to protect your stuff.

The corollary to that is that you buy your wood legally as well, from certified and traceable sources that comply with international requirements under CITES. This is a two-way street.

You're either part of the solution, or part of the problem.

Wood, being the main ingredient, when you've been raided by the Fish & Wildlife Nazis, and had major portions of your inventory seized - it is understandable that you might want to keep your raw inventory in an undisclosed location. Maybe even have a separate company buy and own it. Many here remember the dramatic results of the Feds rain on Gibson, and the results of having all their Rosewood impounded. While some felt the raid was justified, I think most felt it was not. Regardless - you have to do whatever you can legally, to protect your stuff.

I can see the sense in not stocking vast quantities of tone wood, buying in from a respected source seems reasonable. Keeping stocks of timber means looking after it, maybe for long periods, and risking it, for instance, being lost in a fire. Hiding stocks of wood in an "undisclosed location" could be misconstrued as being ever so slightly dodgy, rather than doing what you can legally to "protect your stuff"

Archived