Gibson Brands Forums

ID this guitar, please

AndyK

During the early 1980's I twice held one in my hands. Either had classic hi-Z humbuckers and a TP-6 stopbar. They sounded very nice but felt quite heavy although I have never been too sensitive about weight. The L5S could be the perfect guitar for players who like Les Paul tone but think solid Les Paul guitars are too little weight. [rolleyes] Anyway, one of the owners I met then played his L5S for a living all night long! [biggrin]

It's a later one. The earlier ones had LP Recording-style p'ups with gold-plated covers. Not too pretty as the bridge p'up wasn't angled and the whole guitar looked wonky. They were a fair bit slimmer than a LP if I remember correctly.

I had a quick google of the band and in the vid clip the other guitarist is playing a Travis Bean TB 1000.

Eclectic choices, chaps!

Pip.

I knew it too.. just sayin' [biggrin]

Me too - for a special reason. My eyes are calibrated well to the sight of the L6S. Bill Lawrence originally had a different body shape in mind then, but that wasn't approved. He had to switch to the outline of the L5S while maintaining the smaller body depth intended.

Well I thought so too, due to the tailpiece. [laugh] [laugh] I didIdid!

I played one of these in (co-incidence) Andy's Guitar Shop in Denmark Street once (80s? 90s?). I really wanted to like it but....didn't.

Reminded me of the Starship Enterprise..... [confused]

I'd like to try a later one with the LP-type tailpiece though.

I posted a pic of a wine red one which was being sold on ebay, a couple of years ago. Beautiful looker!

wineredL5SB_zpsb3apvgvm.jpg

It's a later one. The earlier ones had LP Recording-style p'ups with gold-plated covers. Not too pretty as the bridge p'up wasn't angled and the whole guitar looked wonky. They were a fair bit slimmer than a LP if I remember correctly.

I had a quick google of the band and in the vid clip the other guitarist is playing a Travis Bean TB 1000.

Eclectic choices, chaps!

Pip.

Heh, yes Pip. This is Resurrection (or Rez) Band. They actually went through quite a few different guitars. Glenn Kaiser (Travis Bean man) is my favourite ever guitarist and vocalist, a great songwriter and preacher. Prior to this he had a Firebird. After the Travis, he bought a '72-ish black LP Custom, which he's had ever since about 1981. [thumbup]

Stu Heiss also had an LS-6, a double-neck Ibanez, and ended up on Strats.

Good band. [thumbup] Listened to them quite a bit back in my religious days.

Cool. Whisper it quiet... but in that footage I took the pics from, Wendi was absent, ill with bronchitis. Whilst I don't deny her great contribution to the band, I have to say that they utterly rocked as a 4-piece! [thumbup]

Archived