Gibson Brands Forums

es 339 wiring

Deluxe49

Hoping for some bright ideas.

I'm trying to rewire my es 339 with push pull volumes to get series/parallel options. I've done something like this before to try coil splitting but didn't like the outcome much. N problems with the work, just didn't find the split sound very useful. As those of you who've tried probably know, it's a real task to get the electronics in these babies cause the f holes are too small and everything needs to go in the bridge pickup opening. At any rate, my first issue was following a schematic that swapped the output and ground of the 3 way switch. Who knew Switchcraft and offshore parts were different. I thought I had it solved, put it all together, and serious hum/buzz. All pots are connected by a ground wire and there is continuity between everything. Bridge ground wire is connected with an extension wire to the bridge volume pot. When I try using a separate wire to ground each part to the bridge ground, noting changes. Both pickups are creating sound and the tones and push pulls work. Any ideas about what I'm missing or how I should proceed?

GB

Hoping for some bright ideas.

I'm trying to rewire my es 339 with push pull volumes to get series/parallel options. I've done something like this before to try coil splitting but didn't like the outcome much. N problems with the work, just didn't find the split sound very useful. As those of you who've tried probably know, it's a real task to get the electronics in these babies cause the f holes are too small and everything needs to go in the bridge pickup opening. At any rate, my first issue was following a schematic that swapped the output and ground of the 3 way switch. Who knew Switchcraft and offshore parts were different. I thought I had it solved, put it all together, and serious hum/buzz. All pots are connected by a ground wire and there is continuity between everything. Bridge ground wire is connected with an extension wire to the bridge volume pot. When I try using a separate wire to ground each part to the bridge ground, noting changes. Both pickups are creating sound and the tones and push pulls work. Any ideas about what I'm missing or how I should proceed?

GB

I'm just guessing 'cause there's not really enough info here to tell what's up. But you have to be careful how you ground stuff. That could be the issue. Just make sure the grounding scheme is the same as this drawing. Don't ground the two volume pots to each other. Ignore the penciled stuff - that's just how to change the wiring to "sixties" wiring:

SCAN0047_zpsca4d2bea.jpg

Archived