Gibson Brands Forums

Drop-in locking tuners for Epi LP 56 Pro, Bigsby tuning issues

lesC

I have a brand new Epi Les Paul 56 Pro Gold Top. I am putting a Bigsby on and want to replace the tuners with locking ones. Does anyone know of after-market tuners that will replace the factory ones without modification? Any other suggestions on helping with Bigsby tuning issues will be appreciated as well.

thanks,

Les

I have a brand new Epi Les Paul 56 Pro Gold Top. I am putting a Bigsby on and want to replace the tuners with locking ones. Does anyone know of after-market tuners that will replace the factory ones without modification? Any other suggestions on helping with Bigsby tuning issues will be appreciated as well.

thanks,

Les

you should be able to find Grover locking rotomatic tuners that would have the same specs fit wise. a roller bridge usually helps too.

thanks,

Les

If you are unable to fit the locks on, because they are too wide for the hole at the end of the Bigsby plate; get one of these:

http://townerusa.com/product/hinge-plate-adaptor-aluminum/

So do the tuners hold tune ok without the bigsby? Have you added the Bigsby yet or are you looking proactively at machine head updates as well?

if the later, then perhaps see how things roll when you install the bigsby. The main problem with bigsby use will be the strings binding up at the nut and the bridge saddles, and not necessarily the machine heads. Most of us with Bigsby trems (I have 4 guitars w/one) use some big bends Nut Sauce on the witness points at the saddle, bridge, and roller bars (any place where the strings make contact with hardware) to keep things moving freely.

So do the tuners hold tune ok without the bigsby? Have you added the Bigsby yet or are you looking proactively at machine head updates as well?

if the later, then perhaps see how things roll when you install the bigsby. The main problem with bigsby use will be the strings binding up at the nut and the bridge saddles, and not necessarily the machine heads. Most of us with Bigsby trems (I have 4 guitars w/one) use some big bends Nut Sauce on the witness points at the saddle, bridge, and roller bars (any place where the strings make contact with hardware) to keep things moving freely.

Agreed. Nut then bridge, tuners should be the least of your problems. Change them if you want but newer stock epi hardware is better than ever.

Archived