Gibson Brands Forums

What model Les Paul is this?

daveinspain

Went out last night to a local pub after seeing a poster on facebook for the show, was close by too.., This guy blew me away, total domination in the funky Blues realm... What got me most was his Les Paul, had never ever seen one like it. I was like a Custom / Deluxe hybrid. Solid black, completely bound, ebony fretboard, crown inlay on the head stock and trapezoid inlays. The guitar had P90's and silver hardware... Besutiful!! Elegante and mean as hell...! He got every kind of tone you could imagine out of that guitar and the only thing going from his guitar to the amp was a cable...

IMG_5362_zpsr1qr9fhh.jpg

IMG_5365_zpsu8z3cv7e.jpg

This had been my first thought, too, but I never saw and wasn't able to find one through research with chrome hardware stock. Perhaps the owner switched tuners, bridge and tailpiece? :-k

Yeah, hard to tell in the light of those pics. Maybe just replacement tuners. The gold wears off those Tailpieces pretty quick if the guitar is played regularly.

That one has humbuckers and was one of the 'Guitar of the Week' series of limited run models. IIRC they were runs of 400 instruments.

I almost bought one (used) from somewhere in Denmark St. a few years ago. V. Nice guitar but it had a not-too-brilliantly repaired headstock break. Shame as it played really nicely.

Pip.

Yeah, hard to tell in the light of those pics. Maybe just replacement tuners. The gold wears off those Tailpieces pretty quick if the guitar is played regularly.

Yes, definitely. In my hands a single set of strings may outlast half of the gold plating. :unsure:

Could it be a Les Paul Classic Antique Soapbar?

Not really, Ian, because the guitar in the op has multi-ply body binding.

The model was somewhat unusual.

Normally 7-ply bound guitars (e.g. LP Customs) are bound front and back whereas this edition was bound front-edge only and the 'board was rosewood - not ebony.

Pip.

Archived