Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone P-90 Special I

truetone6

I got this last week.I bought it used at a local store. The previous owner changed the tuners to Grovers and gave it a professional setup so it plays great and the P-90's sound awesome.

008.jpg

004.jpg

Well, thanks a bunch for the GAS attack. But seriously, congrats on a sweet looking P90 Special.

Looks like she means business, those P90s will just rip when pushed or they can give a very nice

mellow jazz tone when dialed back. Nice axe! [thumbup]

Definitely a nice one. Keep an eye on that bridge though~! They have a tendency to lean forward over time. There is a taper on the mounting posts where they insert into the body, and the hole is straight drilled. I just pulled the posts out on a Dean Evo I just bought. I reset the posts in epoxy, and it seems to be rock solid so far. My poor Special single pickup model has the same issue, and same bridge. If they had graduated the drilling to match the taper, there would have never been an issue with this bridge.

On the Special I am just going to reset the posts as well, but install a trapeze tailpiece. It actually works pretty well. On the Dean? Such a fine piece of mahogany needs a Bigsby. With a roller offset to fix the tuning stability.

But yes! These P90 are dirty and mean under overdrive. Nice score!! The color is way cool. Mine is solid black. It's needs the trapeze for a little bling:-)

Beautiful guitar! I like the yellow model the best. I bought a red one with a broken neck a few years ago and repaired it. It's been a great player and I've not had any issues with the bridge. I find the P90's in these amazing. When MF had them on sale a few weeks back I bought another in yellow, my favorite color for a flat top Junior style guitar. A buddy got one in black during the sale as well. I initially had plans to mod mine but haven't done a thing to it. The tuners work great so until they give me an issue, if that ever happens, I'll stick with the stock ones.

Is that a standard LP case or one marketed for the LP Junior? I'd like to find one of the slimmed down models.

Enjoy your new guitar!

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful guitar! I like the yellow model the best. I bought a red one with a broken neck a few years ago and repaired it. It's been a great player and I've not had any issues with the bridge. I find the P90's in these amazing. When MF had them on sale a few weeks back I bought another in yellow, my favorite color for a flat top Junior style guitar. A buddy got one in black during the sale as well. I initially had plans to mod mine but haven't done a thing to it. The tuners work great so until they give me an issue, if that ever happens, I'll stick with the stock ones.

Is that a standard LP case or one marketed for the LP Junior? I'd like to find one of the slimmed down models.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Thanks! That is an Access brand LP case. It fits any size Les Paul.

005.jpg

041-1.jpg

Archived