Gibson Brands Forums

Vendors for Gibsons

slk

Just wanted to get opinions on the various vendors such as Sweetwater, Sam Ash, Wildwood, Musicians Friend, etc. Can't go with Guitar Center as I would have to pay tax. But any good or not so good things about the others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Just wanted to get opinions on the various vendors such as Sweetwater, Sam Ash, Wildwood, Musicians Friend, etc. Can't go with Guitar Center as I would have to pay tax. But any good or not so good things about the others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Have used Sweetwater, Sam Ash, Zzounds, American Musical Supply Company, and have had good experiences with them all, in general.

Sweetwater has an excellent customer service dept. and has consistantly done a great job. They are my number 1 pick. They also send you candy!!! [thumbup] They really do.

Another advantage at Sweetwater is that you can actually see a picture of the exact guitar that you are going to purchase. You can choose between different guitars to find the one you will actually end up getting. It's quite unique.

I also like American Musical Supply. They ship stuff very fast, and have some good deals.

FYI, Musicians Friend is the same as Guitar Center. They are owned by the same company, so you will pay tax with them also.

Thanks.. I have heard some great things about Sweetwater as well. The 2017 Gibsons are slow in coming in to any of the vendors. I like the idea about being able to pick the guitar out you like. I have seen some where the 2 halves for the top really don't do much for me and then some that are great, but nice to be able to choose. I am after the new 2017 SG Standard T in heritage cherry

Steve

This is not true. I have a GC in my state but MF does not charge me taxes.

And you don't live in California do you. That's the reason they don't charge you taxes.

It's not where the location is at. It's where the companies headquarters is located.

If GC is charging him taxes I assume he lives in California.

I stand by what I wrote. :)

And you don't live in California do you. That's the reason they don't charge you taxes.

It's not where the location is at. It's where the companies headquarters is located.

If GC is charging him taxes I assume he lives in California.

I stand by what I wrote. :)

My understanding is taxes are collected if the business has a store in your state. The GC has stores in my state and if I order on line from them they collect taxes. If I buy MF, AMS, WWBW (all three the same company as GC), Sam Ash or any other out of state store they do not collect taxes.

From the OP's post, I cannot tell where he lives.

I have ordered things from Sweetwater, pedals and things and have been satisfied. Think I have only ordered one thing from musicians friend but no problem with either. I'm thinking about ordering my first guitar on line from Reverb. I'll have to check to see if Sweetwater has it and compare prices first. I know GC has the guitar I want but not in Candy Apple Red. I like Dietze Music better then GC.

My understanding is taxes are collected if the business has a store in your state. The GC has stores in my state and if I order on line from them they collect taxes. If I buy MF, AMS, WWBW (all three the same company as GC), Sam Ash or any other out of state store they do not collect taxes.

You beat me to it and you are absolutely correct. This is THE reason I do not purchase from Guitar Center because they have 3 stores here in Iowa which allows them to charge 6% sales tax even if I buy anything from a GC out of state. Boo Hiss [thumbdn]

Oh, and I should add - I have purchased from MF, AMS, Sam Ash & Wildwood Guitars & have received great service and prices from all of them. I don't use Sweetwater but have heard great things.

I like Sweetwater too. [thumbup] [thumbup]

FYI, Musicians Friend is the same as Guitar Center. They are owned by the same company, so you will pay tax with them also.

Not true. MF and GC are owned by the same company but they are not the same company and MF does not collect sales tax on stuff in states where GC has stores. Call them if there is any confusion. 1-800-449-9128.

I use musicians friend. No tax or shipping cost. I've sent 3 guitars back and the return shipping was no charge either. I have been very satisfied with everything associated with all my purchases.

I had a VHT amp for well over 6 months and called to let them know I was having a issue and they instantly sent me a replacement with no shipping costs at all. Way more than I expected.

I have bought from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend and Sam Ash on line. They are all easy to deal with. On line I think Sweetwater is a little better at customer service. Musicians Friends, Sam Ash usually has discount coupons. Returns are a easy at all three. On my guitar and amp purchases I usually try and buy them from a brick and mortar store. I know I end up paying a little more, but I like to play the guitars and amps before buying them. Also returns are a lot easier, and most reputable music stores will work with you and provide great customer service and repairs. One last thought/belief. If we bought all our musical items on line then in time there would be no brick and mortar music stores to visit, play new and used guitars and amps, and talk with fellow musicians. I have bought gear on line but it usually items that the stores in my area don't carry. I am willing to pay a little more for most of my musical purchases in the belief that these stores will be there in the future.

If I was to buy new, it would be Sweetwater, I have bought a couple of guitars in the past, crazy fast shipping, No questions asked returns, they set up every new guitar to your liking.

Call and ask for Sales Associate Chris Leonard. He is the man.

Good luck.

I mostly use either Sweetwater or AMS. Customer service at both has been good. I tend to lean more toward Sweetwater, unless they don't stock what I want or AMS has a much better deal (AMS has good deals on "scratch and dent" item where defects cannot even be seen). I have also purchased a few things from ZZounds and MF and can't say anything bad about my experiences.

I don't buy from GC or Sam Ash online since they both have brick and mortar stores here in TX and charge sales tax. And neither seem to stock the gear I'm looking for in their stores. So I would still end up having to buy sight unseen and unplayed and have the item shipped to the store. If I end having to have the item shipped in, I'd rather deal with Sweetwater or AMS.

Archived