Gibson Brands Forums

Another Guitar ID Question

StRanger7032

I was going to put this in the Epiphone Lounge, but this section gets way more traffic. This is being advertised as an early 70's Epiphone, no model listed. Sounds like its in very nice condition, too. Anyone recognize this one? I'm not sure about it being as old as the owner seems to think it is.

epiphone_zpsiadd55io.jpg

I think I figured it out. It looks like an ET-278, made by Matsumoku from 1972-1975. The tremolo is a bit different than the ones I've found in photos so far, which all seem to be hardtails. Everything else is exactly like the ET-278. Looks like these are often crap, so I'll pass for the $450 he wants for it. Interesting guitar, though.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/ET-Series

I own one of the old Kalamazoo made Epi's in that shape and they are nice instruments. That looks like the Japanese versions from the 70's for sure - and probably with a bolt on neck. I'd be a little wary based on my experience to date because we have 2 Matsumoku built Aria electric guitars in my house right now - the '84 model is my number one guitar, and the early-mid 70's SG model I bought my son when he was 7 is, well...little more than a toy. There seems to have been a tipping point on the Japanese solid bodies somewhere in the mid-late 70's. Just my opinion based on what I've seen and read.

I think it's an ET-275

I haven't played one of these old Japanese models but I've tried the old Kalamazoo-built Wilshires which are awesome guitars

I think you are correct. Looking on Reverb, $450 is actually not bad considering the condition. I think I'll still pass, though.

Looks pretty cool - like a Jap Wilshire with humbuckers. The trem is a puzzler though.

I'm pretty sure its an ET-275. The trem cover appears to be missing on the others I've found pictures of so far, which would explain why this one looks a little different. I can see those getting lost easily.

Archived