Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt Century DeLuxe Archtop

mgrasso

Ordered the Deluxe Archtop with the sound hole on Black Friday weekend.

Picked it up Saturday. Man does this have a thick neck.

The setup and action were great. The fingerboard is the perfect size.

But I just can't get over how thick the neck is.

I have a tendency to use my thumb on the base E string.

Not happening here.

The only other guitar that has had a neck this thick were the Epiphone ES-335 reissue that I tried on the floor at a Guitar Center.

I have 45 days to return, which right now I am inclined to do.

I am so bummed at this. I really wanted to replace my EJ-200sce with this.

Really glad I did not trade it in at the time.

Anyone else have a problem with a thicker neck?

Ordered the Deluxe Archtop with the sound hole on Black Friday weekend.

Picked it up Saturday. Man does this have a thick neck.

The setup and action were great. The fingerboard is the perfect size.

But I just can't get over how thick the neck is.

I have a tendency to use my thumb on the base E string.

Not happening here.

The only other guitar that has had a neck this thick were the Epiphone ES-335 reissue that I tried on the floor at a Guitar Center.

I have 45 days to return, which right now I am inclined to do.

I am so bummed at this. I really wanted to replace my EJ-200sce with this.

Really glad I did not trade it in at the time.

Anyone else have a problem with a thicker neck?

Only if the clothing store runs out of shirts to fit me😁

When it comes to guitars, my preference is for the thickest available neck. Big, somewhat arthritic hands will do that. I, too, like to use my thumb, and can appreciate how difficult it can be to work a neck that isn't comfortable.

I had commented that my Masterbilt Olympic has what at first seemed like a thick neck. Probably the same one as the Deluxe. However, I had commented that after playing about half of a song on it, I found myself really liking it. Really comfortable and no prob still using my thumb if I choose. Have had mine about 1.5 months now. Feel the same. Interestly, I let some youngun guitarist try my Olympic last Saturday at a gig. First thing he said was wow this neck is thick. Two minutes later into him playing something on it, he said man this neck is great....thick, but perfectly balanced up and down the fretboard. I feel the same. Plus, it's kinda old school cool.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Just as mgrasso, I find extra thick necks uncomfortable to play simply because I'm using my thumb for playing as well. I'm not a particular fan of those meaty Slim Taper C-shaped necks. For that very reason I wasn't particularly fond of the Texan reissue either. I'd take a slimmer, more V-shaped neck over those baseball bats at any time.

I did not find the necks on the couple I have played to be all that beefy. But that is probably because I am used to guitars built in the 1920s and 1930s which, having no neck reinforcement, were put together with extremely chunky V necks and 1 3/4" to 1 13/16" nut widths.

Archived