Gibson Brands Forums

New mandolin

Lefty Guy

I recently took delivery of my 1st mandolin, not a Gibson as I need to decide if I can progress sufficiently before investing properly!

Its a righty Kentucky KM-950 converted to lefty & I took my 1st Skype lesson on the instrument yesterday evening - what a blast! So much more intuitive than guitar, wish I'd tried one years ago....

mando1_zpsxag0r3o7.jpg

mando2_zpsdrzje3je.jpg

mando3_zpsjm3ibnov.jpg

My wife bought a cheap mandolin to learn some, and as she got better we decided to get her a better one.

We bought a 1933 Gibson A-00 that was owned by Scotty Stoneman, of the Stonemans/Ky Colonels fame, from George Gruhn years ago. She lost interest and it sat around my music room until one day..................

I started messing with it......

I've been hooked ever since. Been to see the Punch Brothers several times, have a pile of Grisman cd's......

I'm sorry for your latest infliction.....

[biggrin]

Got hooked on mandolins a long time ago, and currently have two:

> 1922 Gibson A (Loar era & first year of the truss rod)

> Breedlove OO (A-style), made in Oregon. Not sure on the year.

The cool thing about the Breedlove is the radiused & slightly wider fretboard, along with larger frets. Seems like it would be an easier transition for many guitar players.

Anyway, congrats & enjoy your new toy!

Got hooked on mandolins a long time ago, and currently have two:

> 1922 Gibson A (Loar era & first year of the truss rod)

> Breedlove OO (A-style), made in Oregon. Not sure on the year.

The cool thing about the Breedlove is the radiused & slightly wider fretboard, along with larger frets. Seems like it would be an easier transition for many guitar players.

Anyway, congrats & enjoy your new toy!

thx...mine also has wider nut (1.8) & radiused fretboard to suit my big hands

I took up the mandolin a few decades ago when I realized that being able to play guitar and fiddle I had the skill sets required to do it. After killing my hands with 4 finger chords I learned to relax and enjoy playing it quite a bit. It has been over 40 years and sometimes the old hands ache but I still can rock it at a dance or gig. Enjoy. It is way more intuitive than guitar and lots of fun.

I took up the mandolin a few decades ago when I realized that being able to play guitar and fiddle I had the skill sets required to do it. After killing my hands with 4 finger chords I learned to relax and enjoy playing it quite a bit. It has been over 40 years and sometimes the old hands ache but I still can rock it at a dance or gig. Enjoy. It is way more intuitive than guitar and lots of fun.

& easier to transport!

Archived