Gibson Brands Forums

What Type of Wood Top Is It?!?!?!?!?!

Jase81

I have searched high and low to try and find out what kind of Spruce Top is crafted for the Dove Pro. I know it is obviously some type of Spruce given the online description, but what kind of spruce? German, Sitka, etc...? I'm not really sure why it is so hard to find the answer, but figured I would turn to the experts for this questions [thumbup]

I have searched high and low to try and find out what kind of Spruce Top is crafted for the Dove Pro. I know it is obviously some type of Spruce given the online description, but what kind of spruce? German, Sitka, etc...? I'm not really sure why it is so hard to find the answer, but figured I would turn to the experts for this questions [thumbup]

If I had to guess I'd say Sitka Spruce...it's not only plentiful, there's a ready supply growing right here in the U.S.A....in our upper northwestern states.

Here is what AGF had to say (hard to tell if there was a consistent consensus):

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154613

Cheers!

Dugly [cool]

If I had to guess I'd say Sitka Spruce...it's not only plentiful, there's a ready supply growing right here in the U.S.A....in our upper northwestern states.

Here is what AGF had to say (hard to tell if there was a consistent consensus):

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154613

Cheers!

Dugly [cool]

Too funny, that is the exact forum I read before posting the topic. And no, there really is no consensus on how to tell which is which. The consensus that you can pull out of that forum is that it makes no difference, as long as you love the guitar, who cares. Which I agree with. But as an Epiphone nerd, I not only want to know that it looks and sounds beautiful, but I crave the specifics. So really my question is just about curiosity more than anything. Just odd that a lot of guitar makers usually state very specifically what kind of wood it is, especially when it is solid wood. I would assume Sitka only because it seems to be the most popular with lower priced guitars, but who knows.

Chinese or Indonesian? They're made in Asia - would they really ship north American spruce out there to make them?

Although I'd say most people can't hear any difference between any species of Spruce and the link Dugly supplied said it all - the luthier said it was red spruce cos that's what his supplier told him!

Chinese or Indonesian? They're made in Asia - would they really ship north American spruce out there to make them?

Although I'd say most people can't hear any difference between any species of Spruce and the link Dugly supplied said it all - the luthier said it was red spruce cos that's what his supplier told him!

I agree. I would not suppose that they would send American wood over seas for lower end guitars. This would completely defeat the purpose of outsourcing to Asia. Not sure what kind of Spruce they have over there, I would guess Chinese or Indonesian like you said. And you're right, I would bet that not one person would be able to tell a lick of difference just by sound. We only think there is because we have been told that there is...just mind tricks. My questions is based solely on being an Epiphone nerd and loving to know the specifics.

The upcharge for German, Englemann, Italian Spruce, all more than the actual cost of a couple entire Epiphone guitars. Asia has some form of generic wood used for guitar tops that American importers are allowed to call "Spruce". No telling what it really is.

rct

The upcharge for German, Englemann, Italian Spruce, all more than the actual cost of a couple entire Epiphone guitars. Asia has some form of generic wood used for guitar tops that American importers are allowed to call "Spruce". No telling what it really is.

rct

Hmmm...so its not actually spruce? Bit disappointed in Gibson/Epiphone

Almost twenty of the thirty five varieties of Spruce in the world grow in Asia. It is plentiful there.

We could infer from this that Epiphone likely doesn't specify a type for its acoustic guitar tops because they use a variety of suitable wood. On the other hand, they may only use one type, but don't tout it, since the Western buying public is familiar with the names of only a few of the thirty five varities, like Sitka, Engleman, Adirondack and the like, and being largely ignorant of the characteristics of wood, might think one with an unfamiliar name (and one that comes from Asia) is somehow inferior.

Red 333

Hmmm...so its not actually spruce? Bit disappointed in Gibson/Epiphone

Almost twenty of the thirty five varieties of Spruce in the world grow in Asia. It is plentiful there.

We could infer from this that Epiphone likely doesn't specify a type for its acoustic guitar tops because they use a variety of suitable wood. On the other hand, they may only use one type, but don't tout it, since the Western buying public is familiar with the names of only a few of the thirty five varities, like Sitka, Engleman, Adirondack and the like, and being largely ignorant of the characteristics of wood, might think one with an unfamiliar name (and one that comes from Asia) is somehow inferior.

Red 333

Archived