Gibson Brands Forums

Crack in Neck Near 2 Fret

Mrf0ster

Hello there everyone, being very new to this I am not sure if the photos below would be considered normal or there is an issue that I should get looked at? I bought the guitar last week and I think my fingers have uncovered a crack.If i run my fingernail over it, I can definitely feel like a split or crack I guess you could call it.

Again not sure if this is normal or something I need to be concerned about.

Thank you for any advice.

Cheers Mark

BTW this is an Ephiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro.

post-82922-066621500 1481071096_thumb.jpg

post-82922-079188700 1481071131_thumb.jpg

That appears to be a split in your binding that could possible have been caused by fret sprout, although those are usually small vertical cracks where the fret spine has popped through the binding.

It's probably fixable with a thin viscosity super glue, and some steel wool to buff it smooth once dry. A competent luthier would be able to manage that repair quite easily.

Did you purchase from a retailer? If so I'd take it back and have them look at it.

I did show them a pic and they tended to think it was pretty normal, that's why I thought I would ask here. Guess I will keep and eye on it and make sure it doesn't grow.

Cheers for the input everyone.

Been in a stand or my hands only. Would have been devistated if I dropped it lol.

Ignore it. However if it starts splitting ten years from now go get a luthier to fix it. That isn't a big buck repair. For now just enjoy your new addition.

I did show them a pic and they tended to think it was pretty normal,

Normal? not really, I've got 6 gibsons, and 5 epiphones, they range in age from 1995 to 2015.

all have binding on the neck, and none of them have this kind of blem. Now,, Is it "serious"? I don't "think" so, it looks cosmetic to me.

Crack in the binding from fret sprout. Temp fluctuation.

The good news is, keep the temp and humidity as constant as possible, and it most likely won't get any worse. It looks essentially cosmetic.

Should def get you a discount though. IMHO.

Does look like crack but look closely at the fingerbord edge of the binding, looks really rough and jagged to me. Could it possibly be an awful scraping job of overspray on fingerboard? I know epi sometimes dye the fb for a uniform dark colour, i had stained fingers for a while after a new uj sheraton, maybe the dye/dirt is sitting on a rough laquer edge?

Hello there everyone, being very new to this I am not sure if the photos below would be considered normal or there is an issue that I should get looked at? I bought the guitar last week and I think my fingers have uncovered a crack.If i run my fingernail over it, I can definitely feel like a split or crack I guess you could call it.

Again not sure if this is normal or something I need to be concerned about.

Thank you for any advice.

Cheers Mark

BTW this is an Ephiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro.

Hmmm, bought new? Can't really tell how serious the damage is or the cause but a new instrument should not have this problem under any circumstance. I would take the guitar back to the retailer with a view to have it repaired, possibly replaced or secure a price reduction. There is no excuse for this damage not to be taken care of by the place that sold it to you.

Archived