Gibson Brands Forums

List of the most popular Gibson Solid-Bodies..

dava4444

1all's Pub

thanks for the reply :)

Y'know I had that same question @ melody makers and I was thinking that too when I was doing the OP. But last week I was thinking about it again.. and I rem'd.. the melody maker *does* have its own body shape! I had forgotten!

it's the DC Melody Maker, it has two 'les paul lower bout' mirror cutaways and thinner mid body. The Les Paul DC has 'square access' and a wide mid body. .. what do you think.. is that valid?

@pippy & rtc

guys.. :)

wasn't saying Slash saved Gibson or anything, but as far as Gibson revivals go.. the 80's + Slash gotta be noteworthy huh?

I wouldn't have bothered with Gibson personally if it weren't for Slash, G'n'R AFD album being my first ever rock album I ever listened to*.. coz my folks played a LOT of country music on a loop* in the car for the first ten years of my life. I don't like country music. .. well now I'm older and I've mild-ed my hatred for said music, and I even like Johnny Cash a bit and 'Jolene' White Stripes version.

*1990/1991 I was 14yo. my 'other' first album was Chris Rea 'Road to Hell'. then Grunge happened.. :)

* They would drive around for hours with the same one album; Smokeys greatest hits, Dr Hook greatest hits, Tammy Wynette greatest hits.. it was like the clockwork orange scene with him in the chair. I got car sick often..

Hey Dava, no need to explain yourself - I was 14 in 1984 and I agree with you re Slash and the Les Paul. Those other (nice) fellas are old enough to have been kids a decade earlier, but by the time I was into music Clapton, Mick Talylor, Pagey etc were doing 3 fifths of FA as far as kids were concerned - assuming they even survived the 70's as not all did (don't get me wrong Page, Kossoff, MT and co are among my absolute favourites now, but back when I was young they were irrelevant) and Slash did reinvigorate interest in the LP for those of us now in our 40's. I'm only the speaking for me, but I know where you are coming from. That said, the history lessons from these guys can lead you to some great music!

@pippy & rtc

guys.. :)

wasn't saying Slash saved Gibson or anything, but as far as Gibson revivals go.. the 80's + Slash gotta be noteworthy huh?

I wouldn't have bothered with Gibson personally if it weren't for Slash, G'n'R AFD album being my first ever rock album I ever listened to...

Hi dava.

My apologies to you if necessary. I didn't mean to infer you thought Slash saved Gibson and, as I mentioned earlier, I completely agree that he DID re-raise the profile of the LP for your generation much as other guitarists had done for earlier generations (mine included). In point of fact two of my very good friends were, themselves, influenced in their LP acquisition by their appreciation of Slash and (especially) AFD (and in my case it was seeing Paul Kossoff with his).

Incidentally the fact that the "LP" used on AFD was a replica and not a genuine Gibson just happens to be one of the small details which occasionally gives us old curmudgeons here a giggle. You shouldn't mind us; the nurse will be along with our medication presently...

When rct mentioned the Tele reference in post #15 I thought it funny because I was one of those who had no idea whatsoever that Page had recorded Zep 1, most of Zep 2 and the solo for 'Stairway..' with the Tele; hence my following post ("I laughed!") was, first and foremost, aimed at myself.

Now; let's put on some G'n'R...

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Hey Pip :)

Ah the Kris Derrig Les Paul!

Gibson and Slash covered it up by saying it was a 'factory second' hahah..

I think Gibson aren't mean towards that Derrig guitar/Kris Derrig for a few reason, one being Kris passed away in 1987.

In many ways, the Gibson Custom Shop AFD's are a tribute to the Derrig replica.. which is nice even if Gibson don't mention his name.

@ Scales

Thanks man.. I feel that way too.

many roads we all walk eh? :) ..

I went Rock>Grunge>Nu-Metal>Queen/Chris Isaak>Electronica/Retro Pop>Chillout Ibiza/Choir>Nu-Grunge/Retro Alt Amb. Blues (R. Waters/Pink Floyd)>Contemp Alt Rock (2011-201?).. slowly going into a mix of anything I like.

Yup me too..

Slash was one of the first guitarists I got in to as I was a teen in the 80s... He was my generations guitar hero... And I still think hes awesome.. It was him and Izzy that made me like GnR without them I doubt I would have been interested.

And indeed I had loads of pics of Slash and LPs on my school folders and used to sit in class staring at them wishing for the day I had one of my own.. and my first ever Standard type guitar was also chosen because he had one like that (a dark burst) :)

...I had loads of pics of Slash and LPs on my school folders.........and my first ever Standard type guitar was also chosen because he had one like that (a dark burst)...

I'm guessing it's the one mentioned in posts 22 and 24?

If so then you might find this of interest;

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/how-slash-reunited-joe-perry-with-a-prized-59-les-paul/48100

Pip.

I'm guessing it's the one mentioned in posts 22 and 24?

If so then you might find this of interest;

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/1012/how-slash-reunited-joe-perry-with-a-prized-59-les-paul/48100

Pip.

Yes I think it probably was that one... I seem to remember it in that video (November Rain) where hes standing in the middle of nowhere playing a solo with a totally unplugged guitar :) (which you can see in that pic)..

Even at that age I thought that was a bit silly :)

My first introduction to G&R was a cassette bootleg copy of a record called "Live Like a Suicide" given to me by my drummer at the time. Photos that popped up of the band showed Slash was mostly playing BC Rich and Jackson back then. Somewhere between that record and AFD the band had a total makeover to make them look less like Poison and more like 70's Aerosmith. That's when the Joe Perry LP started showing up.

So I have never totally associated Slash with the Les Paul for some reason.

My first introduction to G&R was a cassette bootleg copy of a record called "Live Like a Suicide" given to me by my drummer at the time.

When I was at high school (I had my drivers licence by then so I'd say late 1987) I drove over to my friend's house who is now the drummer in my current band and he pulled out the AFD album and said he found it in the shop and it looked cool and he thought it was pretty decent, and said 'see what you think'. We both were into metal/rock but had never heard of GNR. So I took it home and played it and took it back a couple of days later and handed it to him saying 'these guys will be the biggest band in the world'... and 6 months later they were! True story - that's only happened one other time in my life so I remember it well. [laugh]

I used to get Kerrang! magazine delivered to Dad's house back then (fortnightly from memory) and by the time they were featured I guess he had the LP cos I can't recall associating him with anything else.

Never saw him play a Jackson, but he played a B.C. Rich prior to AFD. I remember he said he'd hocked it during one of his "so-called bad periods", and really regretted it.

If I remember correctly, it resurfaced recently and was bought back by Slash for a silly amount of money. I think.

I think people say Slash brought the Les Paul back to popularity in the 80's probably because Guns N' Roses were the biggest rock band on the planet by the late 80's/ early 90's. Yes, lots of others players used them in the 80's, but they weren't in a band anywhere near as famous as G N' R at the time (I guess Def Leppard were pretty big, but they had been around for a while). Slash was the first player who got me into music/ guitar and I was pretty obsessed by all things G N' R in the 90's. Even though I loved Appetite, the Illusions were my favourite records by them and I even thought 'The Spaghetti Incident?' was great. Shame they imploded by the mid 90's as would have loved to hear the follow up to the Illusions. I think by 1987/88 G N' R made an impact because they didn't sound or look like the other (awful) rock & metal bands of the time - Cinderella and Poison come to mind - yikes! Slash kind of looks like a caricature of himself these days.

Continuing from Rabs post of the Tokyo VHS, I remember watching this about a million times as a kid and thinking it was the greatest thing ever.

This tune too (still love it now)

Hey Cody78 and guys in general..

let's get this thread back on track eh? ;)

Providing a service to the guitar community by ranking Gibson's most popular guitar body shapes!

Ah yes, sorry for going off track.

Even though Gibson say the SG is their biggest selling guitar of all time, I reckon it's most certainly the Les Paul now. Perhaps the SG was once their most purchased model, but just look at the amount of LP's that are available now, while the SG line seems often neglected. This is surely an indication that Gibson see the Les Paul as their top selling model at the present time?

After that most definitely Firebird, Explorer & V, though I wouldn't know which has sold the most.

Following this I'd say it was unimportant to even consider other models such as L6s, US-1 and so on as none of them sold in huge numbers compared to the LP, SG or even the V, FB or Explorer.

I think on your original post you mentioned the Moderne? That would probably be one of the lowest selling models I think, especially since it was never put in production at the time of the other futuristic designs and only eventually appeared in the 80's in small numbers. I think they did a few reissues in limited numbers since then, but not of any real note in terms of sales I would think.

Have you ever seen the Gibson 'Eye' guitar. I bet that sold about 3!

Archived