Gibson Brands Forums

What the latest song you've been playing on your guitar?

Mr. Gibson

My friend asked if I would back her up at a benefit show for the east Tennessee fire victims on the 16th. I said yes thinking I would be playing bass. I just found out I will be playing guitar. I haven't gigged with a guitar in 20 years so I'm learning this.

• Upvote 1

Our band has added some Holiday music for the next few gigs. Lately I've been practicing The Eagles version of "Please Come Home For Christmas" and working up my own version of "Jingle Bell Rock". I'm mainly copying G.E. Smiths licks from the Hall and Oates version, but also doing it my own way.

J.J. Cale's "They Call Me the Breeze"

By an odd coincidence I've broken with recent tradition and mostly been playing my Strat for the last couple of weeks.

Quite a few of J.J.'s compositions have been my main victims as well as "Down to the Waterline" by Mr. Knopfler and his troupe.

Apart from 'Sultans...' it's the first Dire Straits song I ever heard being, as it is, track 1, side 1, album 1. There's a lot of VERY good music on that album.

I'm mucking-up quite a lot of early-mid seventies Clapton as well - Derek, Faith and his eponymous stuff.

Sometimes 'A change is as good...' as it were.

Pip.

• Upvote 1

Wish mine would ask me to play guitar!

I've been working with the music program at this parish for some months now, since the new music director came in, he's been looking for players/singers to get involved. I joined when he asked if there were any players/singers interested in being part of the program. The Choir aint exactly my thing... (even though these people do sound good). as as side note, I was baptized, first communion and confirmed in this same parish. Been there to see a lot of changes over the years This new music director is fantastic to work with.

not sure how your sitch is, Maybe, if you can, go talk to who ever is the music director for your parish, they are often times starving for people to help/join in. Really depends on the person in charge and what is status quo.. some times, it's best to just watch from a distance! The previous music direct for our church was a nice guy but he was clueless when it came to putting the music together that the people wanted to hear, there are lots of young people coming these days, but it's obvious there are more coming since craig has been updating the music. as St. Francis says, sing one, pray twice! :)

I've been working with the music program at this parish for some months now, since the new music director came in, he's been looking for players/singers to get involved. I joined when he asked if there were any players/singers interested in being part of the program. The Choir aint exactly my thing... (even though these people do sound good). as as side note, I was baptized, first communion and confirmed in this same parish. Been there to see a lot of changes over the years This new music director is fantastic to work with.

not sure how your sitch is, Maybe, if you can, go talk to who ever is the music director for your parish, they are often times starving for people to help/join in. Really depends on the person in charge and what is status quo.. some times, it's best to just watch from a distance! The previous music direct for our church was a nice guy but he was clueless when it came to putting the music together that the people wanted to hear, there are lots of young people coming these days, but it's obvious there are more coming since craig has been updating the music. as St. Francis says, sing one, pray twice! :)

My priest is cool, but the music director fancies himself to be the 'star' of the service and no pickers or strummers need apply!

My priest is cool, but the music director fancies himself to be the 'star' of the service and no pickers or strummers need apply!

sorry to hear that.. he don't seem to be there for the right reason.

the #1 rule we have is, "we're not here to perform, we're hear to lead the music for the congregation."

basically... leave your ego at the door,

sorry to hear that.. he don't seem to be there for the right reason.

the #1 rule we have is, "we're not here to perform, we're hear to lead the music for the congregation."

basically... leave your ego at the door,

And there it jolly well is. According to him, he plays music for the people - told him I'd rather play for God, but he didn't appear to take it charitably☺