Gibson Brands Forums

What the latest song you've been playing on your guitar?

Mr. Gibson

House of the Rising Sun, Walk Don't Run,

For whatever reason, these two usually get some play time when I pick up a guitar. Also included are Margaritaville and a few of my own compositions. Also have been playing "Norwegian Wood" in E. Gives your pinky a real workout. Other than that, it's just jammin' to some blues backing tracks. More important than what you're playing is just the fact that you're playing, you know?

• Upvote 1

Songs? I just make crap up. [biggrin]

That is fun isn't it?

Well lately my guitar has been neglected. I joined a band a few weeks back who needed a bass player so

I blew the dust off and got back into faking being a bass player. So I've been trying to learn a bunch.

So far I got.

Roxy Roller

Sweet Home Alabama

Smoking in the Boys Room

Takin Care Of Business

White Wedding

Bang a Gong

As Fast As You

Diggin a Hole

Cocaine

Blow at High Dough

New Orleans is Sinking

All Right Now

Could of Been a Lady

Tush

Mary Jane's Last Dance

Fortunate Son

Only have another 30 to go. lol.

Actually quite enjoying it.

I've been working with the music program at this parish for some months now, since the new music director came in, he's been looking for players/singers to get involved. I joined when he asked if there were any players/singers interested in being part of the program. The Choir aint exactly my thing... (even though these people do sound good). as as side note, I was baptized, first communion and confirmed in this same parish. Been there to see a lot of changes over the years This new music director is fantastic to work with.

not sure how your sitch is, Maybe, if you can, go talk to who ever is the music director for your parish, they are often times starving for people to help/join in. Really depends on the person in charge and what is status quo.. some times, it's best to just watch from a distance! The previous music direct for our church was a nice guy but he was clueless when it came to putting the music together that the people wanted to hear, there are lots of young people coming these days, but it's obvious there are more coming since craig has been updating the music. as St. Francis says, sing one, pray twice! :)

I've been in my same parish too all my life,lot of changes from the old Latin mass.

1481155845[/url]' post='1817774']

For whatever reason, these two usually get some play time when I pick up a guitar. Also included are Margaritaville and a few of my own compositions. Also have been playing "Norwegian Wood" in E. Gives your pinky a real workout. Other than that, it's just jammin' to some blues backing tracks. More important than what you're playing is just the fact that you're playing, you know?

Yeah, I've been playing house of the rising sun since I was a teen. Always warm up with the Guitar Boogie to limber my fingers then build speed. Today I played Wipeout by the Surfaris, most of Stairway to Heaven. Still don't know the solos, and I always play Pipeline.

I've dusted off my one and only acoustic and joined a weekly bluegrass jam. They want me to bring some new stuff to play and sing, so I've been working on "The Old Home Place" and "The Old Swinging Bridge" for this week. I found out quickly that 9-47 strings DO NOT work well on an acoustic for unamplified playing with other instruments! I need to get some 11s or 12s so I can produce some volume.

Lately it's been all Christmas stuff. Learning some new arrangements of old Christmas standards, like going full out jazz on "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". Keeps 'em interesting. We have a small ensemble that plays every year at a coffee shop the Sunday before Christmas. Very low key/ low volume but the folks there seem to love us. Word of mouth is an amazing thing and it gets more attention every year.

David Bowie's Let's Dance.

We rocked that one for the first time on stage the other day at a big Christmas gig.

Very fun song to play live, especially when people are dancing and enjoying the groove.

The chords are a little tricky, but once you get used to them, it gets easier and easier.

Nile Rodgers crafted those chords for Bowie while producing the album.

David's original treatment was in some fairly standard B cowboy chords, and Nile didn't think that the song had much punch.

The finished product was much better than the original demo!

:)

This morning I was working on improving my ability to play Stevie Ray Vaughn's signature lead licks from the radio version of Let's Dance.

I'm slowly getting there.

[unsure]

David Bowie's Let's Dance.

This morning I was working on improving my ability to play Stevie Ray Vaughn's signature lead licks from the radio version of Let's Dance.

I'm slowly getting there.

[unsure]

SRVs playing on that album is awesome, as are the rhythm guitar parts. I still practice it.

As well as the title track, "Criminal World" and "Cat People" have venomous incendiary solos, razor-sharp arrangements and tricky funk rhythm guitars.

SRV very audibly mixing Hendrix and Albert King.

Plus Omar Hakkim and Tony Thompson.....the only Bowie record I own.

Back on topic -

I've been playing/practicing Summertime, Autumn Leaves, All The Things You Are, and jazz blues - from downloaded charts.

And blues leads. There are so many ways.....

By an odd coincidence I've broken with recent tradition and mostly been playing my Strat for the last couple of weeks.

Quite a few of J.J.'s compositions have been my main victims as well as "Down to the Waterline" by Mr. Knopfler and his troupe.

Apart from 'Sultans...' it's the first Dire Straits song I ever heard being, as it is, track 1, side 1, album 1. There's a lot of VERY good music on that album.

I'm mucking-up quite a lot of early-mid seventies Clapton as well - Derek, Faith and his eponymous stuff.

Sometimes 'A change is as good...' as it were.

Pip.

Yo Yo Pippy. Funny that you bring up picking up the Strat to Play J.J.'s tunes. My Strat is the first I picked up to play, didn't sound right to me. Then I picked up the Tele, still didn't cut the mustard. Ended up using my ES-339. Don't know if its my playing style that made this the fit, but it does sound pretty good. The ES-339 is ending up to be my "go to" guitar from my arsenal.

My all time favorite Stones song is Can't You Hear Me Knocking. The ending kills me everyone just kind of stops. I listened to Sticky Fingers once on mind altering chemicals and it was magical.

Giddyup! If I had to pick just one that would likely be it. [thumbup] Love the tone on that Mick Taylor solo too - those power tubes are singing!