Gibson Brands Forums

R7 Goldtop worth the sacrifice?

beefyburt

Hi.

You can see what guitars I have. I'm now lusting after a Gibson custom shop Les Paul 1957 gold top left handed 2010, in superb condition. BUT, to get it I would have to sell all my other guitars except the acoustic. Will it be worth the sacrifice? I like having lots of choice, and now I've got the Goldtop 60's one, I'm kinda happy, but boy does this other one tempt me. Plus, to add to the spice, its got the Monty's Guitars PAF pickups.

So what do we think guys? Stick or go all in?

I say stick. I'm also the guy who likes the variety, less in playing styles but very much in tones.

Furthermore, what do replacement pickups of any make add to the spice of a reissue? Honestly, they rather devaluate the guitar in question.

Stick & save up for the other. Maybe layby if easier

The thing with lefties is that they are very hard to find when it comes to this quality of guitar, so if I pass this up, then who knows when another might appear. I'm probably being daft, as its still a £2500 guitar for goodness sake! Thanks for your thoughts though.

I say stick. I'm also the guy who likes the variety, less in playing styles but very much in tones.

Furthermore, what do replacement pickups of any make add to the spice of a reissue? Honestly, they rather devaluate the guitar in question.

The standard guitars come with the Gibson Burstbuckers but for authenticity,and that's why you would do it, a set of PAF's is must and Monty's are the best and he fit these himself. This is the guy that Mark Knofler goes to, so he has huge kudos.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, will chew it over some more.

if it's true that you like having the different guitars for they variety in tones and playing style... (I do too) - STICK -

if this was me, I know this will only lead to regrets later

I have sold guitars before and wanted them back immediately, but they are only guitars and there are always more. Except of course being left handed this isn't always true, and I know this particular guitar is very rare as they only made a few left handed. Some of mine I can still buy, but some you cant and for example the Burns maple neck and fingerboard are nicely aged and almost orange, a wonderful colour. Id miss that one for sure.

Need to have more of a think, but thanks for your comment.

The standard guitars come with the Gibson Burstbuckers but for authenticity,and that's why you would do it, a set of PAF's is must and Monty's are the best and he fit these himself. This is the guy that Mark Knofler goes to, so he has huge kudos.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, will chew it over some more.

The Gibson USA Les Paul Standard guitars come with BurstBuckers. At least mine did and they still are stock, soldered point-to-point as well as with PCB and plugged. Two more LPs of mine, one USA and one Custom Shop, are soldered and stock as well, and another Custom Shop has one more push/pull pot added for polarity (falsely aka "phase") reverse. I would have bought none of them, and even not the top-level Epiphone LP I added (with not by fancy but technically higher-grade capacitors than all of my Gibsons except for one Gibson USA LP Traditional) if I had had replacing pickups in mind. To clarify that, none of my guitars' capacitors are so bad that I would consider replacing them.

The Gibson Custom 1957 Historic and True Historic Les Paul guitars come with AlNiCo 3 Custombuckers. I don't think I ever would even think about buying one if I had any doubt about leaving the stock pickups alone.

What I would do though - and also do to any original '50s LP - is resoldering to the so-called '60s wiring. I always opt for the positively better. The '50s circuit is simply a poor design regardless of capacitors used, except when the volume pots are fully raised where it is just the same as the '60s circuit. Not everything that's vintage is fine, otherwise some manufacturers would still use the '50s circuit for sure in contemporary models. Either makes cost just the same, so there is no economical interest in preferring one. They just choose the better option.

Unfortunately I know exactly what I talk about. I have three Gibsons with two, three respectively four volume pots (well, one each of the latter is for the piezo bridge without tone control) and one tone pot only. One allows for '50s wiring or use of a tandem pot, the other two for '50s wiring only. Like with any '50s circuit, the best way of using the tone pot is not to use it in case the volume pot(s) of the activated pickup(s) are not fully open.

Just my two cents, but it's your current guitars being at stake now.

The Gibson USA Les Paul Standard guitars come with BurstBuckers. At least mine did and they still are stock, soldered point-to-point as well as with PCB and plugged. Two more LPs of mine, one USA and one Custom Shop, are soldered and stock as well, and another Custom Shop has one more push/pull pot added for polarity (falsely aka "phase") reverse. I would have bought none of them, and even not the top-level Epiphone LP I added (with not by fancy but technically higher-grade capacitors than all of my Gibsons except for one Gibson USA LP Traditional) if I had had replacing pickups in mind. To clarify that, none of my guitars' capacitors are so bad that I would consider replacing them.

The Gibson Custom 1957 Historic and True Historic Les Paul guitars come with AlNiCo 3 Custombuckers. I don't think I ever would even think about buying one if I had any doubt about leaving the stock pickups alone.

What I would do though - and also do to any original '50s LP - is resoldering to the so-called '60s wiring. I always opt for the positively better. The '50s circuit is simply a poor design regardless of capacitors used, except when the volume pots are fully raised where it is just the same as the '60s circuit. Not everything that's vintage is fine, otherwise some manufacturers would still use the '50s circuit for sure in contemporary models. Either makes cost just the same, so there is no economical interest in preferring one. They just choose the better option.

Unfortunately I know exactly what I talk about. I have three Gibsons with two, three respectively four volume pots (well, one each of the latter is for the piezo bridge without tone control) and one tone pot only. One allows for '50s wiring or use of a tandem pot, the other two for '50s wiring only. Like with any '50s circuit, the best way of using the tone pot is not to use it in case the volume pot(s) of the activated pickup(s) are not fully open.

Just my two cents, but it's your current guitars being at stake now.

I've changed some pickups on cheap guitars but there is no way I would touch the insides of this one, especially after Monty's Guitars have had it- no need! There would be nothing I could add. So for me its a guitar just to play, knowing its a beast that cant be made better, and the only thing to improve is me and my playing which is what is needed. For that reason, probably better to only have one guitar so not distracted by the others.

Guest Farnsbarns

Now, I was waiting for this until mine arrive but I saw Ben Crow's video review of Monty's PAF's and liked what he said and the demo. Then I met "Monty" at a guitar show and we had a reasonable length chat about his approach and he showed me loads of coils he'd disected over the years and discussed his findings. Then we talked about my amps and had one of those conversations about tone in which no one's abstract use of adjectives meant anything to the other party and I left there having made the decision to buy a set.

For those who don't know Monty's Guitars they're a small company in London but their PAF pups are making a bit of a splash.

He simply took every set of PAF's that came through his hands (more than al.post anyine, tech/luthier to the A list) and measured and analysed the good ones and he reckons he has a formula and despite being a sceptic when it comes to mystical vintage PAF tonewood mojo guitar bull I believe the hype right now. With Xmas coming I decided to hold off but come January I shall be ordering a set to put in my own guitar and then I will know what's what for certain.

To answer the OP. It's far too objective. You don't say how attached you are to your current collection but if this one really speaks to you, really stands out and really has you considering this move go for it. Unless you decide you're too attached to the rest to part with them. Rather regret doing it than regret not.

Sometimes it pays to wait. I had a hankering for a 1956 Reissue Goldtop with P90s - a 2013 model. Shop wanted $7,800AUD. Yes I know - BS! I waited, kept checking pricing on the net, waited....12 months went by. By that time I had $5K saved up. I rang the shop who told me they had sold out but had one interstate. Got them to bring it up, got the call "Bad news, it's been damaged". Hopped on down and basically it was a small dent on the headstock caused by a hanger. Nothing else wrong. Offered them $4K, they whisper, whisper, whisper.... Deal done. Anyway, if it is to be yours, then it will be. Upside? Everything. Didn't have to sell any of the collection & got a great deal to boot. Good luck with it.

Sometimes it pays to wait. I had a hankering for a 1956 Reissue Goldtop with P90s - a 2013 model. Shop wanted $7,800AUD. Yes I know - BS! I waited, kept checking pricing on the net, waited....12 months went by. By that time I had $5K saved up. I rang the shop who told me they had sold out but had one interstate. Got them to bring it up, got the call "Bad news, it's been damaged". Hopped on down and basically it was a small dent on the headstock caused by a hanger. Nothing else wrong. Offered them $4K, they whisper, whisper, whisper.... Deal done. Anyway, if it is to be yours, then it will be. Upside? Everything. Didn't have to sell any of the collection & got a great deal to boot. Good luck with it.

I hear what you are saying, but being a leftie makes it harder as normally you cant find them, and then they usually go quickly. So my big worry is that if I pass on this one, it will go and another wont crop up in the UK ever again. I know I'm being daft, as I have a nice collection already, but this one is calling! The Force is strong!!

Now, I was waiting for this until mine arrive but I saw Ben Crow's video review of Monty's PAF's and liked what he said and the demo. Then I met "Monty" at a guitar show and we had a reasonable length chat about his approach and he showed me loads of coils he'd disected over the years and discussed his findings. Then we talked about my amps and had one of those conversations about tone in which no one's abstract use of adjectives meant anything to the other party and I left there having made the decision to buy a set.

For those who don't know Monty's Guitars they're a small company in London but their PAF pups are making a bit of a splash.

He simply took every set of PAF's that came through his hands (more than al.post anyine, tech/luthier to the A list) and measured and analysed the good ones and he reckons he has a formula and despite being a sceptic when it comes to mystical vintage PAF tonewood mojo guitar bull I believe the hype right now. With Xmas coming I decided to hold off but come January I shall be ordering a set to put in my own guitar and then I will know what's what for certain.

To answer the OP. It's far too objective. You don't say how attached you are to your current collection but if this one really speaks to you, really stands out and really has you considering this move go for it. Unless you decide you're too attached to the rest to part with them. Rather regret doing it than regret not.

Wow, how cool to have met the man. I've seen a video of a set being opened and the packaging detail is wonderful, with wax seals and hand written notes! But your point regards attachment is very valid- I've spent time getting guitars I think are special, so I would like to keep them all, however most can still be bought new, its just the SG and Burns that cant be replaced, along with the Les Paul Goldtop, but obviously that would be replaced by a better one. Oh how these things bewitch us!!

I hear what you are saying, but being a leftie makes it harder as normally you cant find them, and then they usually go quickly. So my big worry is that if I pass on this one, it will go and another wont crop up in the UK ever again. I know I'm being daft, as I have a nice collection already, but this one is calling! The Force is strong!!

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having read through this thread a couple of times over the days and considering various aspects of the 'dilemma' I'd say get the re-issue.

Sure; you have some nice guitars, but as you yourself say you can still (mostly) get them as and when you decide you need them again. The Burns, for instance, is a nice variant of the Strat but they can still be had for around £300. The Hag. can be replaced and so on.

Get the LP and concentrate on learning everything it can do for at least six months. You'd be surprised how close you can get to Tele and Strat tones (for instance) simply by mucking around with the tone knobs on both guitar and amp.

Lastly; I don't think I've ever seen anyone here, in the eight years I've been a member, write "I really regret buying that Les Paul re-issue..."

Just my tuppence worth.

...I always opt for the positively better. The '50s circuit is simply a poor design regardless of capacitors used...

It's almost unheard-of for me to disagree with you, cap, but my preference is easily for '50s wiring. It simply works better for my playing style.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Having read through this thread a couple of times over the days and considering various aspects of the 'dilemma' I'd say get the re-issue.

Sure; you have some nice guitars, but as you yourself say you can still (mostly) get them as and when you decide you need them again. The Burns, for instance, is a nice variant of the Strat but they can still be had for around £300. The Hag. can be replaced and so on.

Get the LP and concentrate on learning everything it can do for at least six months. You'd be surprised how close you can get to Tele and Strat tones (for instance) simply by mucking around with the tone knobs on both guitar and amp.

Lastly; I don't think I've ever seen anyone here, in the eight years I've been a member, write "I really regret buying that Les Paul re-issue..."

Just my tuppence worth.

It's almost unheard-of for me to disagree with you, cap, but my preference is easily for '50s wiring. It simply works better for my playing style.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Thanks for you imput. You have to consider the lefty factor though- the Burns is for sale still but you cant get a lefty with the maple neck AND fretboard, and mine has aged to a lovely golden colour. Very hard to find. Same with the Iommi SG- its the only I've ever seen in the flesh, so had to buy it. Yes you can buy a new one, but I don't like them as I prefer the all black older version, with only a few fretboard 'cross' markers. So those two cant be easily replaced, the others can.

Over the last 4 years I have been buying and selling guitars to pay for my own collection, so all the ones I have are paid for, so yes I could start again and build up, so that's definitely an option. Over the next few days im going to go to a few guitar shops, see if I can find an R7 to try, obviously right handed, see what this fat neck is like. I tried an R8 and R9 yesterday, loved them, so not too worried but ive heard the R7 neck is just a bit fatter.

Thanks again. And have a Happy Christmas.

Archived